'ning

nippybright

ride, cafe, lab dabble, bail, laze
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Nippybright here too.

Really should go for a ride but body's saying please not again.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    Must get in the car - bit late but fancied the longer hound walk.

WFW then a run and potentially the pub
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    Busyish day followed by a beer in town so have left the car at home and walked to the train station - takes about 30 minutes but woke me up.

Junior hound has gut rot and Mrs. 666 had to take him out to throw up a couple of times in the night. Hopefully it's just something iffy that he ate and it'll pass.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ciao

nippy bright.

mega day planned then chilled evening with mucho snoring.

need to make a couple of delicate 'phone calls but gotta be done.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,199
    Stevo_666 said:

Busyish day followed by a beer in town so have left the car at home and walked to the train station - takes about 30 minutes but woke me up.

Junior hound has gut rot and Mrs. 666 had to take him out to throw up a couple of times in the night. Hopefully it's just something iffy that he ate and it'll pass.

Your slippers?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Breezydull.

Moody, moody, moody Shorty to put right (somehow).

Find ways of putting a cap in Pootin's ass.

Slowly picking up but not enough for a pedal so all this talk of rides and pubs is frustrating.
  • pinno
    Sourced W202 throttle body from right Yorkshire bloke. Wahey!
    Was getting used prices iro £450 + the dodgy flea bitten sons of motherless goat shagging camels with halitosis and flatulence.
    £150 incl. of VAT and delivery. There might be a god.
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

Was getting used prices iro £450 + the dodgy flea bitten sons of motherless goat shagging camels with halitosis and flatulence.

whats it do?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Afternoon folks,
    Nice but a little nippy this morning, unfortunately I had to drive as dropping the EPO off at her work. Busy day in the orifice for me, just had a 2 hour meeting going over the same problems with the MD we have been going over numerous times in the last year or so. Could have done without that, I'm not particularly optimistic that it will help.
    Glad you're on the mend Piña, I've just got my traditional Thursday mild hangover. Although my guts are a little like junior 666 hound, but I know the cause.
    I should probably do some work, onwards and upwards...
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,614
    Today's report from the front line. No not that one. Me planting the 2nd and final batch of the big bamboos. These are big boys coming in big tubs, so lots of hole digging action, cutting through old roots, lot of stone and tile keerap in the ground. Therefore much serious chopping action with the sharp spades various.

What's this? That looks like a cable, wtf is a cable doing there, 6" or less under surface? Xxxx it is a cable, it's multistrand exposed, outer casing missing. I must have hit it. Double xxxx, it's a phone line.

Now, client family has 2 teenage kids, he's London office based but been home working past 2 years. Uh oh. He's in London today, she's gone out. Village got fibre cabled few years back, these guys subscribed, the fibre access is other side of house, so... They're still online, surely. Or do I just GMC and FRO?

She arrives back, tests landline, still working. Turns out BT engineers were in few weeks back, addressing some connectivity issues with the landline which family use once in a blue moon. A little further careful digging exposes a connector unit in the soil with the exposed multistrand thin copper wires running into it. Turns out I missed the cable, just.

So why tf does an 'engineer' leave an old school copper phone line less than a spade depth down in a garden, no conduiting, not 450mm + down, not even the outer sheath protecting the thin copper strands?

Ducks is what they are.

[/end of tale]
  • beansnikpoh
    beansnikpoh Posts: 1,521

Sad Vlad.

Office for a bit tomorrow, then oysters and champagne for lunch with an old friend.
  • beansnikpoh
    orraloon said:

connectivity issues with the landline which family use once in a blue moon.

I thought my MiL was the only person who still used a land line.

I asked her how much she used it, versus how many free minutes she got with her mobile contract. She is ripping herself off each month.

She still calls us on an old landline number and then texts to ask why we don't answer. We haven't had a landline for maybe 12 years.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    orraloon said:

So why tf does an 'engineer' leave an old school copper phone line less than a spade depth down in a garden, no conduiting, not 450mm + down, not even the outer sheath protecting the thin copper strands?

Ducks is what they are.

[/end of tale]

Because removing it costs time+money so it's cheaper to just leave it to be someone else's problem.

Like the local water board - it costs money to demolish those redundant tanks/screens/filters so it's cheaper to just leave them to rot and collapse by themselves one day.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    edited March 2022
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

Your slippers?
    If he'd eaten those he would be pushing up daisies by now.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    MattFalle said:

pinno said:

whats it do?
    Gives you the right air-to-juice ratio for the right bang.

[Geek mode ON]

Press any throttle and it opens a flap you know dat.
    Traditionally, the flap allows more suck (of air) through a venturi (narrowing of a tube). The flap sits in the middle of this venturi.
    This suck is variable i'e the more the flap opens, the more air goes in.
    Traditionally, at a mid point or (thereabouts) was a tube. The other end of this tube is in a reservoir full of bangy stuff. The tube, the reservoir, the flap and the venturi is collectively known as a carburettor.
    The more the flap opens, the more suck and the more bang.
    Technically; more air and bigger squeeze plus bangy stuff = more bang. You always want more bang for your bucks.

Along comes der Boschen engspruch bangy system. (Although, there were others but we'll ignore them. And in true (Mr B, Fawlty) style, 'never mention ze Lucas').
    Zis Boschen bangy system uses fuel injection. No tube sucking in bangy stuff here, oh no, zer Boschen bangy system is a series of syringes with springs and an electrical solenoid.
    To provide more fuel, one has to apply an electrick currant for longer. In other words, a short pulse of electrickery = small amount of fuel, long pulse = you can fill in the rest.

The physical position of the flap has to be linked to some sort of device that tells the injector how much bangy stuff to deliver.
    The W202 Merceledes Bends system deploys a variable resistor (in an arc of about 120 degrees). High resistance = low volume pulse, low resistance = higher volume pulse (on a scale).

The tracks (for the prongs of the variable resistor) become worn over time. Plus there are internal gubbins like capacitors (to dissipate electrical arching) and wires in and out of the throttle body to the ecu/injectors.

[Geek mode: OFF].
  • pinno

orraloon said:

I use mine all the time.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

I use mine all the time.

I thought notH³'s MiL was using land mines for a moment there 😳
  • beansnikpoh
    pinno said:

orraloon said:

I use mine all the time.

Do you not get 100's of, or unlimited free minutes on your mobile? If so, why pay twice? That's my point.
  • beansnikpoh

pinno said:

orraloon said:

I use mine all the time.

I thought notH³'s MiL was using land mines for a moment there 😳
    She's let a few go that sounded like, and acted as
    anti personnel ordnance, but I don't think she has actual landmines.
  • beansnikpoh

pinno said:

orraloon said:

I use mine all the time.

Do you not get 100's of, or unlimited free minutes on your mobile? If so, why pay twice? That's my point.
    Maybe there's free minutes on landlines these days though. In which case I'll get back under my rock.
  • pinno

pinno said:

orraloon said:

I use mine all the time.

Maybe there's free minutes on landlines these days though. In which case I'll get back under my rock.
    I have unlimited land line calls and this includes calls to mobiles for a fixed fee.
    I pay £48 per month to EE. This includes unlimited mobile and landline calls from the LL, unlimited calls on both sims (me and Mrs P) and my fibre broadband. LL includes answerphone. Pretty good VFM IMHO.
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

whats it do?
    pinno said:

MattFalle said:

pinno said:

whats it do?
    Gives you the right air-to-juice ratio for the right bang.

[Geek mode ON]

Press any throttle and it opens a flap you know dat.
    Traditionally, the flap allows more suck (of air) through a venturi (narrowing of a tube). The flap sits in the middle of this venturi.
    This suck is variable i'e the more the flap opens, the more air goes in.
    Traditionally, at a mid point or (thereabouts) was a tube. The other end of this tube is in a reservoir full of bangy stuff. The tube, the reservoir, the flap and the venturi is collectively known as a carburettor.
    The more the flap opens, the more suck and the more bang.
    Technically; more air and bigger squeeze plus bangy stuff = more bang. You always want more bang for your bucks.

Along comes der Boschen engspruch bangy system. (Although, there were others but we'll ignore them. And in true (Mr B, Fawlty) style, 'never mention ze Lucas').
    Zis Boschen bangy system uses fuel injection. No tube sucking in bangy stuff here, oh no, zer Boschen bangy system is a series of syringes with springs and an electrical solenoid.
    To provide more fuel, one has to apply an electrick currant for longer. In other words, a short pulse of electrickery = small amount of fuel, long pulse = you can fill in the rest.

The physical position of the flap has to be linked to some sort of device that tells the injector how much bangy stuff to deliver.
    The W202 Merceledes Bends system deploys a variable resistor (in an arc of about 120 degrees). High resistance = low volume pulse, low resistance = higher volume pulse (on a scale).

The tracks (for the prongs of the variable resistor) become worn over time. Plus there are internal gubbins like capacitors (to dissipate electrical arching) and wires in and out of the throttle body to the ecu/injectors.

[Geek mode: OFF].
    so it helps you do mega wheelspins?

cool.
  • pinno
    Erm, it's only a 2.2L auto.
    No squeazy bang - turbo/Kompressor, just air und engspruch.
  • beansnikpoh
    That's good for fibre bb. Is that to premises, or to cabinet?
  • pinno
    Err, dunno what you mean.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,614
    To cabinet, local network upgraded as far as the green box on the street; to premises, fibre connection to house.
  • pinno
    I see.
    I don't know.
    It's fast enough and rarely looses connection. Which is something up here*.

*Up the M6, turn left.
  • beansnikpoh
    I was only wondering - we pay I think £55 for the 1gb fibre to premises from BT, and I was wondering whether I should switch, as we're all on EE in the household, but on separate bills. I was wondering if it was worth consolidating.
  • pinno

I was only wondering - we pay I think £55 for the 1gb fibre to premises from BT, and I was wondering whether I should switch, as we're all on EE in the household, but on separate bills. I was wondering if it was worth consolidating.

I do like EE customer service. Call them. What's to loose?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Oh I dream of broadband connections like that... lol.

The street here has FTTN (cabinet in your speak) for everybody, and apparently it's good. Except our place is not connected and allegedly can't be, because it's just a fraction too far from the last node to be reliable.

So, we're on wireless, and since we're the *only* home connected on it this side of the river, the service is slow and hasn't been upgraded in years.

On a great day, I may get 25 MBpS. Most times it's 20 or less.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS