Are the Iranians terrible at business?

pinno
pinno Posts: 51,196
Nazanin is on the plane home, so the Iranians must be happy with their £400m.

What is £400m in the 70's worth today and what about interest?

Purely rhetorical.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    oxoman said:

Hopefully we've given them it back is useless censored . Roubles spring to mind.

why?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    pinno said:

Nazanin is on the plane home, so the Iranians must be happy with their £400m.

What is £400m in the 70's worth today and what about interest?

Purely rhetorical.

I’m sure the Iranians are pretty good at business. The debt was £400m, but I doubt if the full extent of the deal will ever be revealed..

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Presumably it will be £400m that has been adjusted but the Government are spinning it so the number doesn't look so big.

International courts had ruled that the UK owed the money so it's not like they were negotiating generously. They did well to get something in return for money they already had to hand over.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I should have used similar tactics when I had a dispute with Dave Hinde cycles.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Iran: “it’s not about the money”
    UK Government: “it’s not about the money”

Money is handed over

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe and Anoosheh Ashoori are freed by the Iranians and sent home.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Sad thing is that the poor lady could have been home a good couple of years ago if de pffeffell wasn't such adickhead

but hey, people voted him in

#fucktheTories
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    It's surprising they are bad at business, since they are always trying to enrich stuff.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    MattFalle said:

Sad thing is that the poor lady could have been home a good couple of years ago if de pffeffell wasn't such adickhead

#fucktheTories

I love your naivety. The UK has had to use Oman as an intermediary to get the money to Iran as sanctions are in place that prevent the money from being handed over earlier. They also had to negotiate with the USA to make sure that they were not them open to retaliation for this payment as it clearly broke sanctions rules. The reason she has been held in jail is because Iranians operate this way. They are a rogue state and any blame on the UK is akin to blaming a rape victim for wearing a short skirt. Admittedly they probably also do this in Iran.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    john80 said:

MattFalle said:

#fucktheTories

I love your naivety. The UK has had to use Oman as an intermediary to get the money to Iran as sanctions are in place that prevent the money from being handed over earlier. They also had to negotiate with the USA to make sure that they were not them open to retaliation for this payment as it clearly broke sanctions rules. The reason she has been held in jail is because Iranians operate this way. They are a rogue state and any blame on the UK is akin to blaming a rape victim for wearing a short skirt. Admittedly they probably also do this in Iran.
    We welched on an arms deal and refused to give them their money back.

Boris told the world she was in Iran training journalists.

If you pay off hostage takers they tend to keep coming back
  • Ben6899
    Who else are on your list of “rogue states”, John?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • john80
    Ben6899 said:

Is Iran a particularly contentious rogue state? Do you feel they are being unfairly targeted by sanctions that will have been running for decades. I am pretty sure they are dead on. Hijacking ships in international waters or the waters of other states, downing a flight over Lockerbie. Funding rebels in Yemen. Continued capture of people on trumped up charges. The list is endless.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    john80 said:

Ben6899 said:

Is Iran a particularly contentious rogue state? Do you feel they are being unfairly targeted by sanctions that will have been running for decades. I am pretty sure they are dead on. Hijacking ships in international waters or the waters of other states, downing a flight over Lockerbie. Funding rebels in Yemen. Continued capture of people on trumped up charges. The list is endless.
    Anyone else match some of that?
  • john80

john80 said:

MattFalle said:

#fucktheTories

We did not fulfil and arms deal due to international sanctions. I mean we could have carried out and been in breach of US sanctions with all the consequences that would have entailed but that might not have been in our interests.

When did training journalist even if this was true justify a 5 year sentence. Its not like he said she was an assassin.

You are right. Israel would have just made a few of their important people disappear on foreign soil and send them a note stating they will get them back as soon as X,Y&Z people are returned. Do you want to live in a country that does this type of stuff?
  • Ben6899
    john80 said:

Ben6899 said:

Kind of my point. It’s a moot list because of this.
    Ben

• imposter2.0
    john80 said:

When did training journalist even if this was true justify a 5 year sentence. Its not like he said she was an assassin.

Because the contention at the time was that she was supposed to have been on holiday - not 'working' (ie teaching journalism)...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/06/boris-johnson-mistake-could-harm-case-for-nazanin-zaghari-ratcliffe-say-family

• Pross
    john80 said:

MattFalle said:

#fucktheTories

The UK had no choice but to pay the money, there was an international court ruling that confirmed the debt had to be repaid.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    The thing is, if they didn't want to deliver weapons to the Ajatollah (or whatever it is the spelling), they should have returned the money back then... it doesn't matter that the money would have been used to fund wars... it's not your money, so you have to give it back... I guess this is a very basic principle.
    If I owe money to a murderer, it's not that I can write off the debt, because he's been convicted... the law doesn't allow that
    left the forum March 2023
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    john80 said:

john80 said:

MattFalle said:

#fucktheTories

We did not fulfil and arms deal due to international sanctions. I mean we could have carried out and been in breach of US sanctions with all the consequences that would have entailed but that might not have been in our interests.

You are right. Israel would have just made a few of their important people disappear on foreign soil and send them a note stating they will get them back as soon as X,Y&Z people are returned. Do you want to live in a country that does this type of stuff?
    we owed them £400m

The charge aganst her was that she was training journalists to work againstthe State. She claimed she was on holiday. Boris (for whatever reason) sided with Iran.

If you live in a country that does not deal with terrorists then you are less likely to be taken hostage but if you are already a hostage things won't look so rosy.

I am quite relaxed about the Israeli approach. Russsia's is more brutal, at the time Terry Waite was taken they also took some Russian hostages. Russia said nothing publicly but sent a list to the org responsible. It was a death list naming the kidnappers and their mothers, fathers, sister, brothers, aunts, uncles and cousins.

Say what you like about their methods but Russians don't get kidnapped
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    edited March 2022
    Who knew states run by actual gangsters are good at dealing with gangster tactics.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Not all about the money. There is a collective desire to revive the nuclear deal due to the Russia situation. Holding hostages, owing millions etc. were obstacles to this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-60774839

• pinno
    In the whole scheme of things, the UK waited until the court delivered the verdict before paying the debt. Using that as some sort of excuse (vis-a-vis the delay) is pretty lame.
    Also, I am pretty sure that the diplomatic avenue was to talk to the US and state that we had no choice and therefore, maintaining US relations.
    It's not as if we aren't in constant dialogue with the US.
  • imposter2.0

The thing is, if they didn't want to deliver weapons to the Ajatollah (or whatever it is the spelling), they should have returned the money back then... it doesn't matter that the money would have been used to fund wars... it's not your money

Iran's overseas assets (including this £400m) were frozen after the 1979 revolution, so 'giving it back' wasn't really an option back then. They still have hundreds of billions worldwide, which are still frozen...

• pinno

Not all about the money. There is a collective desire to revive the nuclear deal due to the Russia situation. Holding hostages, owing millions etc. were obstacles to this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-60774839

When the Ruskies eventually start to rebuild, this couldl be an issue but economically, where are they going to be long term?
    I doubt sanctions will be lifted quickly (if there is a cessation of conflict) given an opportunity to re-balance Western power.
    As a major NATO economy, I would want to keep a foot on the head of Putin's aspirations whilst he barely treads water.

China will have a severely weakened ally. Let's keep it that way.
  • john80
    Pross said:

john80 said:

MattFalle said:

#fucktheTories

The UK had no choice but to pay the money, there was an international court ruling that confirmed the debt had to be repaid.
    I am not disagreeing however you are conveniently side stepping the issue that sanctions prevent the payment hence the use of Oman. There is an argument that the money still should not be repaid as sanctions are still in place. The stupid thing about all of this is that if Iran was not such a nutjob of a country then what is a weeks worth of Oil exports worth to them. They are essentially arguing over a tenner when selling a house.
  • john80

The thing is, if they didn't want to deliver weapons to the Ajatollah (or whatever it is the spelling), they should have returned the money back then... it doesn't matter that the money would have been used to fund wars... it's not your money, so you have to give it back... I guess this is a very basic principle.
    If I owe money to a murderer, it's not that I can write off the debt, because he's been convicted... the law doesn't allow that

Well I guess we can then ignore any sanction we like on this logic.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538

Hindesight is a wonderful thing.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    john80 said:

Pross said:

john80 said:

MattFalle said:

#fucktheTories

I am not disagreeing however you are conveniently side stepping the issue that sanctions prevent the payment hence the use of Oman. There is an argument that the money still should not be repaid as sanctions are still in place. The stupid thing about all of this is that if Iran was not such a nutjob of a country then what is a weeks worth of Oil exports worth to them. They are essentially arguing over a tenner when selling a house.
    Iran is not a nutjob of a country.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    oxoman said:

Given how long this has been going on all the governments since the deal was suspended have failed. That's Conservative and Labour. Either way the good thing is a family has there mum back.

Which deal?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597

john80 said:

Pross said:

john80 said:

MattFalle said:

#fucktheTories

Iran is not a nutjob of a country.
    No more nuts than Saudi or UAE.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross

To be fair Dave Hinde's response to customer complaints is far less diplomatic and rational than anything Iran would do.