RTAccident.

Recently knocked off my bike,driver admitted fault and bike damaged beyound repair,suffered bruising etc.
The AA insurance company asked me to get two quotes for the bike which i have sent on.
After several emails since January they refuse to settle the claim until i provide proof of purchase.
This is not so easy as i cant find the invoice and the shop has now changed hands.
Others who have been involved in accidents did you have to provide proof of purchase?
Its extremely annoying as the innocent party that I have to prove ownership.
They have advised me to instruct a solicitor, which seems ridculous.
Interested to know of any similar situations and their results.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Were you injured beyond bruising? Do you have any pictures of the bruising? Tell them you can't find the receipt as you've owned the bike for however many years and the shop has changed hands. Say you have spoken to a solicitor and if you instruct them they will want to pursue a personal injury claim as well as the value of the bike. You were trying to be reasonable to expedite things but if they insist on going that way you will have no alternative.
    My last accident did involve an injury claim, I didn't have to prove ownership, but sent lots of detailed pictures of the damage to my bike to an independent assessor appointed by the solicitors.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    smiler01 said:

Recently knocked off my bike,driver admitted fault and bike damaged beyound repair,suffered bruising etc.
    The AA insurance company asked me to get two quotes for the bike which i have sent on.
    After several emails since January they refuse to settle the claim until i provide proof of purchase.
    This is not so easy as i cant find the invoice and the shop has now changed hands.
    Others who have been involved in accidents did you have to provide proof of purchase?
    Its extremely annoying as the innocent party that I have to prove ownership.
    They have advised me to instruct a solicitor, which seems ridculous.
    Interested to know of any similar situations and their results.

How did you pay for the bike?

Obviously if you paid in cash you still have the same problem but if you used a debit or credit card surely your bank statement from the time will show the money paid to the shop? Easily available if you use online banking and, even if you don't, I'd be surprised if your bank wouldn't help you out in getting the record for you
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • smiler01
    smiler01 Posts: 2
    Thanks for your comments above I will be trawling through my statements.
    Interesting Veronese 68 that you did not have to produce receipts.

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    The bike may have been a gift - so technically you could be the owner without being the purchaser.

Do you have any old photos of you with the bike or riding the bike over a period of time? That might prove ownership even if you are struggling to find proof of purchase.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Imo the insurance company is coming the ****. Regardless of ownership of the cycle, the insurance company is responsible for the cost of replacement.
    Register a complaint with the insurance company. I think the ombudsman gives them 8 weeks to resolve the complaint before they will take up the issue. If your home insurance covers it, make a claim through that or at least utilise any legal cover through your policy.
  • bam49
    bam49 Posts: 159
    I settled a claim last year which involved damage and repair to a bike that was 14 years old by that time and the receipt / purchase record for it was long gone.. Never asked for proof of ownership by the drivers insurance company and just had my local shop quote and repair it. My case did involve serious injury though so the cost of the bike parts hardly made a dent in the overall compo figure.. as said up above, they are trying it on with you..
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    They're at it, go down the solicitor route. I did it two years ago and had money cleared in my bank 15 minutes after the call ended.