Cycling accident

I had a cycling accident at end of December where a motorist drove into me when I was on the main road and he was turning right across me.
It was slow speed so I had a few scrapes and bruises and the only damage to my bike was a bent front wheel rim.
The car was damaged because he drove into a pedestrian barrier after hitting me.

He claimed I went through a red light and caused the accident so tried to claim his car damage from me but I obtained dashcam footage and a witness to refute this.

I am a member of Cycling UK so I went to their accident claim number and started my claim.
This was stopped because the company that handles it for free needs an injury claim to fund their work and my injuries cleared up within a fortnight.

Cycling UK also fund a 3rd party claim and this is currently in progress as they have accepted the evidence I gave them.

This leaves just the damage to my wheel as this it seems is a 1st party claim.
It was only £72 + (my) labour to replace the rim but I'm not sure how I go about starting this claim.

I've emailed Cycling UK and also raised the issue here.

To be honest if the b*st*rd hadn't tried to blame me for him driving into me I would probably just have fixed the wheel and carried on but now I want to get him.

Comments

• Try getting in touch with this guy

https://www.leighday.co.uk/about-us/our-people/senior-staff/rory-mccarron/

An extremely accomplished cyclist and solicitor.

As you don't have injuries it will be hard to make a claim as the lawyers fees are covered by your claim. Odd that CUK won't protect you. Do you have home insurance which includes legal cover?
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,335
    Do you have his insurance details? I had good success with a similar small claim going direct to the driver's insurers. They asked for evidence and receipts, paid me directly, then deal with getting the money from the driver afterwards.

In my case the driver had not given me any details, but I had insurance through British Cycling and they were able to tell me the insurer and (I think from memory) the policy number. Cycling UK can probably do the same.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    pangolin said:

Do you have his insurance details? I had good success with a similar small claim going direct to the driver's insurers. They asked for evidence and receipts, paid me directly, then deal with getting the money from the driver afterwards.

In my case the driver had not given me any details, but I had insurance through British Cycling and they were able to tell me the insurer and (I think from memory) the policy number. Cycling UK can probably do the same.

I do have his insurance details as receipt of a letter from his insurance company is why I started the claim.

I will write to them.

Thanks pangolin.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,363
    Making a claim for £72 will cost him a lot more than £72 in lost no claims. Go for it and good luck.
  • paulbnix
    I would think he has already lost his no claims bonus paying for the damage to the front of his car after he hit the pedestrian barrier.

I noticed yesterday that the barrier had been replaced - hope he paid for that as well but probably not as no police were involved.
  • paulbnix
    Could be a winner.

The motorist's insurance company have responded to my letter asking for details of the damage.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    paulbnix said:

Could be a winner.

The motorist's insurance company have responded to my letter asking for details of the damage.

Great news.

Disgraceful he decided to fabricate evidence against you when he knew he was in the wrong.
    How do these people look themselves in the mirror I always wonder, mind boggling.

What car was it?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pangolin
    daniel_b said:

paulbnix said:

Could be a winner.

Great news.

Disgraceful he decided to fabricate evidence against you when he knew he was in the wrong.
    How do these people look themselves in the mirror I always wonder, mind boggling.

What car was it?
    Often part of the issue with drivers like this is that they don't use mirrors.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • paulbnix
    edited March 2022
    daniel_b said:

What car was it?

Nissan Note driven by an elderly male - actually he might have been a similar age to me.

He was more shocked than I was.

He said at the time I had gone through a red light.
    I said I don't and faced with at least 3 cars about to be turning across me I can't think anyone not suicidal would do so.

I was surprised that he carried on saying I had gone through a red light.

He was obviously waiting for the red Fiat that passed me to clear the lights then he went for it and he just did not see me until I ended up on his bonnet.

This is the dashcam picture I was sent.
    The two black circles show me and the green arrow that was not illuminated
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,879
    Open and shut case from that photo.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    pangolin said:

daniel_b said:

paulbnix said:

Could be a winner.

Great news.

What car was it?
    Often part of the issue with drivers like this is that they don't use mirrors.
    I agree that is a regular issue, but in this case it is simply looking out the front of his vehicle!

I suspect the 'red light' fabrication got pulled out as he's read one of thousands of comments online about all cyclists jumping red lights and not obeying the rules if the road.

Pretty damming that that 'message' is so prolific that it's potentially seeped into his subconscious as a matter of fact.

:/
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pangolin
    Result!
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    paulbnix said:

Paid
    "In full and final settlement of all claims against our insured. Payment is made without prejudice to the question of liability"

I think means "It was his fault but we don't say that and you can't use this letter to claim that it is his fault - here is some money"

:smile:

Great news!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...