Crank length

I have picked up a new chainset at a very good price but have realised it is 172.5mm crank length as opposed to the 175mm length I had been looking for. However, will I notice the 2.5mm difference? It seems like a very small amount but I have never had anything other than 175mm cranks.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Unlikely you will notice any difference at all. You might need a corresponding adjustment in seat height..
  • You will likely get half the responses telling you it makes no difference at all, and the other half claiming you will notice it. The only real way to determine is to fit the cranks, do some riding, and see for yourself.

FWIW I did similar years ago, got a good deal on a crankset with a different crank length to what I was used to. Didn't get on with the change and sold the cranks in the end. I am happy to admit though, that any perceived difference could just as well be psychological.
  • dandl
    dandl Posts: 24
    Thanks. I have probably been getting more hung up on crank length than I probably should have. Considering I am changing my whole gear setup (changing from triple to double compact), any difference in crank length will get lost among the other changes I am sure.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    no difference at all. none.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I went from 175 to 172.5 (As the bike I bought came with that length crank) and have noticed literally no difference - you'll be able to lift your saddle by 2.5mm of course :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • HilaryAmin
    HilaryAmin Posts: 160
    My Zwift bike has 175s and I think maybe it'd be more comfortable at higher cadences with 170s. But maybe it wouldn't..
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

My Zwift bike has 175s and I think maybe it'd be more comfortable at higher cadences with 170s. But maybe it wouldn't..

it won't make any difference
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    MattFalle said:

it won't make any difference
    I notice a difference between 170 and 172.5 on Dartmoor. I'm old and fat so to get up the hills it's out of the saddle or power climbing. I can feel the extra leverage. Those are fairly extreme circumstances - 20-25% pitches, sustained 15%+, I will grant you.