Cervelo RS

Martin818
Martin818 Posts: 24
edited October 2012 in Your road bikes
Finally picked this up on Friday after much deliberation.

It's a Cervelo RS 58cm, the last of the discontinued cervelo 'sportive' frame. It's a proper carbon boomerang frame, not fused triangles of carbon like a lot of cheaper carbon bikes, built for comfort then speed (bit like me!), it has unique bow shaped rear stays soak up bumps and vibrations.

I specked it with Utlegra 6700, Mavic Elite wheels with conti 4000S 25 tyres, 3T stem and 3T carbon bars, garmin 800, it weighs 7.75kg and is like riding silk - I couldn't be happier!

I'm sure the bike-photo-rules-police will shoot me, but here goes:

36x38gK0.jpg
LVIm3EoL.jpg
AJzaqgUf.jpg
A6lRXyvY.jpg
xEJSqv29.jpg
ZZoXN8ar.jpg
bpSHVvYf.jpg
[url]ZnGEtMM3.jpg[/url]

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    That decking needs a stain
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Locked and loaded...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Martin818 wrote:
    It's a Cervelo RS 58cm, the last of the discontinued cervelo 'sportive' frame. It's a proper carbon boomerang frame, not fused triangles of carbon like a lot of cheaper carbon bikes, built for comfort then speed (bit like me!), it has unique bow shaped rear stays soak up bumps and vibrations.

I may not be the bike photo police but i am wincing at your little write up! Nothing wrong with the bike though... Decent choice of componentry (particularly from an aesthetic perspective). Shame about the wheels though. Anyway, enjoy!
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Whats the problem with the wheels?!

Anyway, isn't the bike a bit too small for you? I can see you got plenty of spacers at the front and a big chunk of good old seatpost at the back.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • EKIMIKE
    Well, mine were OK until the hubs persistently came loose (which means they shift side-to-side under load and hit the break pads, curable for only a few hundred miles with medium thread locker) and they began making an annoying creak which appears to be the spokes on the rear wheel.

Fulcrum/Campagnolo make a better alternative. Better hubs. No funny spokes or nipples so better for maintenance and the spokes won't creak because they're rounded so don't cut into the spokes they cross. Also the skewers rattle. All small things but add up to a frustratingly poor design. Don't get me wrong, they're plenty stiff and light. There are simply better alternatives on the market...

And you're right Gabriel, the frame looks too small. Well spotted without a decent side-on view!
  • EKIMIKE wrote:
    Martin818 wrote:

I may not be the bike photo police but i am wincing at your little write up! Nothing wrong with the bike though... Decent choice of componentry (particularly from an aesthetic perspective). Shame about the wheels though. Anyway, enjoy!

For the budget I had I think the wheels are ok - 1550g and strong (I'm 100kg), they will do for now I think but definitely upgrade territory in the future. Aero would obviously look better, but in reality I don't need them. Priority was getting the best frame I could for the type of riding I do, initially I was going with a 105 groupset, but blew the budget to get Ultegra as it was a much better overall balance for the bike (hopefully this will restrain me from upgrading to Di2 next year - so it saved me money really....)

After riding a cheap Alu bike this is like flying business class lol
  • I'm 6"2 and 1/4 - its a 58" frame. I did have a proper bike fit done (over 2 hours) and that was the best position for me. Hopefully I'll be able to lose some stem spacers once I improve my flexibility
  • can we get a proper side on picture? its hard to appreciate it from the funny angles.
  • Martin818
    Martin818 Posts: 24
    edited September 2012
    can we get a proper side on picture? its hard to appreciate it from the funny angles.

Oh OK - if you insist :)

With and without Speedfil-

Whatever

mUXLifki.jpg
  • EKIMIKE
    r1ddvp.gif

One of the worst idea's i've seen in a long time... Just... Horrific.
  • viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12883007&p=17915007#p17915007

MY cervelo RS. Stunning bike. Spent alot if time on this feed whilst building mine up!
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    nice that and good to see a good use for the oakley glasses case haha
  • Martin818 wrote:

mUXLifki.jpg

:lol:

I hoped you asked for your money back after the bike fit.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Nice bike. :) Agree decking needs a stain. :D
  • Thanks for sharing this. Crazy how negative folk were on here a few years ago. I’m hopefully getting a 2012 Cervelo RS tomorrow. I hope you enjoyed yours.