Synapse 2021 Carbon 105

Hi
I can get a Synapse 2021 Carbon 105 for £1500 (new in a clearance sale).
I currently have a 2016 CAAD12 and fancy the extra versatility (and comfort as I am now 48 years old) of the Synapse...is it worth the outlay or should I just continue to ride the CAAD12 ?
Thanks

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    the CAAD is magnificent.

the Synapse is, well, a Synapse.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • So you would not bother with the synapse then ...?
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Horses for courses. If it feels more relaxed and comfortable for you then ignore anything said on here, in fact don't ask here. MF or anyone else for that matter cannot tell you what is best for you.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    edited March 2022
    £1500 seems like a good deal. Try first if possible
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    N+1 says get the Synapse.....
  • Had a Synapse for a week rental in Majorca. Worst bike I've ever ridden, dull, heavy, slow, unresponsive. I took it back after 3 days for a BMC Roadmachine. Difference was night and day.
  • Thanks everyone....gonna stick with the CAAD12 for a bit longer then - maybe upgrade the wheel set from the Cero AR24s 👍
  • singleton

Had a Synapse for a week rental in Majorca. Worst bike I've ever ridden, dull, heavy, slow, unresponsive. I took it back after 3 days for a BMC Roadmachine. Difference was night and day.

There are both Aluminium and carbon Synapse's...
  • MattFalle

So you would not bother with the synapse then ...?

confirmed.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited March 2022
    I have a 2015 Synapse in aluminium with carbon forks, which is my current commuter, and I did have a 2016 Di2 Carbon (not hi mod) synapse that I sold last year.

I'm not sure how much the design changed between 2016 and 2021 (I realise the 2022 has changed a lot), but for £1500, assuming it is mint and has the 105 Hydraulic groupset, and is critically your size, in the current market that sounds like an absolute bargain.

For the record, I did find both of my Synapses enjoyable and comfortable to ride, and not remotely dead, or lacking in fizz.
    Admittedly my alloy one I kitted out with full carbon bars and stem (It already had a carbon seatpost) but I'm not sure that would have made that much of a difference.

As my back issue has eased I found I wasn't riding the 2016 as much, and having become a Scott fanboi invested in one of the latest Addicts instead, hence selling the 2016.

They are good solid bikes, comfy for long rides, and I suspect a 2021 can take a wider tyre, my alloy one with factory fitted guards can only take 25mm at the absolute widest.
    IIRC the 2016 would have gone up to 30mm.

My commute is over pretty rough roads, and I find the 25s a struggle for comfort, and have already suffered a buckled wheel - so I have on order a gravel bike that will take 40mm tyres with guards, I am yet to decide where to keep the Synapse or not.
    The new bike will take on commuting duties, weekend family rides, and a spot of light touring - I'm going to pop a tailfin rack on the rear for both touring and commuting.

Can you not have both?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    Or stay with the ridiculously cool magnificent CAAD

If you want sensible, buy an anorak.
  • singleton
    I had a 2016 CAAD12, wish I'd kept it....
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    singleton said:

I had a 2016 CAAD12, wish I'd kept it....

^^^This^^^

Me too. The 105 Bike Radar BOTY? I loved that bike & shouldn't have sold it.

CAAD frames are quite simply the best alu frame you can buy IMHO.

• MattFalle
    as above, you'd have to mad to get rid of one for Synapse.
  • mpie
    mpie Posts: 81
    A couple of years ago I had test rides of a CAAD and a Synapse for an hour. The CAAD was joyous even over the cobbles. The Synapse? I can't remember. Make of that what you will.

I since picked up a CAAD12 (purple, Dura-Ace) for not much more than you're quoting above, courtesy of someone trying cycling during lockdown and finding it harder than they thought. Don't think I'll ever sell it (although needless to say, it's not my only bike).
  • MattFalle
    Completely different, but a CAAD nonetheless - 16 years ago I sold my lime green CAD (3?4)

Regretted every day.

A while ago I bought another - CAAD4

Utter sheer joy. Flexy compared to everything else I have but something about it just brings a massive huge mega smile. Never gonna sell.

A Synapse. Seriously?

Do we need a Show us your CAADs thread?