Which Flat pedals for road bike

Hi guys I'm just gettin back into road cycling again I was an avid rider years ago then stopped. And just picked up a new Cannondale synapse but I don't want to ride clipped in yet.

Can you recommend me some flat pedals for it? I'm gonna be using it with sneakers first off hence needing some flats.

Thanks guys

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401
    I’ve used DMR flat pedals in the past, light for their size and the metal studs/screws hold the foot nicely in place. 10 x better that the plastic rubbish that comes with some new bikes.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    Platform pedals can be easier to ground in corners so I'd avoid anything too long or too thick. It does depend on your bottom bracket height and crank length too though.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • woozor
    woozor Posts: 117
    What about something like the Mks touring ones or is grip poor?
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have been in your position.
    Just get the cheapest you can find. In a couple of weeks you will want to try being clipped in.
    Then get some shimano mountain bike pedals ( 2 bolt fitting). Practice on some soft grass and a couple of weeks after that you will be clipping in and out without even a thought.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    edited March 2022
    If you think it's short term then just get some cheap pedals.

If you want something longer term that will allow both options, then maybe consider something like the double sided pedals that are available, which are flat on one side and SPD on the other - such as these:
    https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/apparel-accessories/pedal/explorer.html
    I've used the EH-500 and still have them on my indoor bike so Mrs Singleton can use the bike while wearing flat shoes.

If you are going with clipless in the end, then I've used both mountain bike pedals (SPD) and road pedals (SPD-SL) and I don't find the MTB cleats to be any easier or harder to clip in and out of. The shoes may be easier to walk in - if you get recessed cleats, but in use on the bike I find them both the same - so I would advise going with road pedals on a road bike.
  • Cheers all I should say I used to ride clipped in 100% of the time years ago so it's no issue with that. I just don't want to be riding like that ATM as I'm coming back from an injury and can't afford any stacking it yet hence wanting to use some flats now with sneakers.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Yes I've got a couple of bikes with flats including a single speed road bike and it's not because I've got a problem clipping in.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,401

Yes I've got a couple of bikes with flats including a single speed road bike and it's not because I've got a problem clipping in.

Why do you prefer riding flats on a couple of bikes? Serious question, interested to hear.

I’ve got no problem with people riding with flats all the time if it feels safer and easier. Particularly on stop star journeys.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • DeVlaeminck
    seanoconn said:

Why do you prefer riding flats on a couple of bikes? Serious question, interested to hear.

I’ve got no problem with people riding with flats all the time if it feels safer and easier. Particularly on stop star journeys.
    They are bikes I tend to ride in non lycra - one is a single speed road bike and the other a rigid semi fat MTB.
  • Charlie_Croker
    Charlie_Croker Posts: 1,698
    seanoconn said:

I’ve used DMR flat pedals in the past, light for their size and the metal studs/screws hold the foot nicely in place. 10 x better that the plastic rubbish that comes with some new bikes.

I use the DMR V12's on a couple of road bikes, sure footed every time - recommended
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise