New Endurance Frame set for rim brakes

Any ideas for a new half decent rim brake frame set with endurance geo?

Thinking about replacing my Supersix which has full DA and nice wheels. Want something that will be a bit more comfy.

I know I can sell the Supersix and get a new bike but the downgrade would be significant so my thoughts were to swap out the frameset and sell the SS frame for minimal outlay. Problem is does such a frameset exist? Budget up to £1k and preferably not Ali.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,170
    WHat size is the supersix frame? :)
    left the forum March 2023
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    You probably own "peak bike" already. Anything for around £1k will either be second hand or heavy.

The Supersix isn't a harsh bike, so have you looked at cheaper options to make yourself more comfortable? e.g. seatpost, saddle, tyres?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Exactly as above

SuperSix with DA is mega - anything else will be a massive disappointment.

anything for 1k will be trash compared.

Keep the SS.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • ugo.santalucia
    My Dolan Dual is very comfy and light enough (1.3kg frame + 350g fork)... happy to swap it for a Supersix (with some top up obviously), provided the size is right
  • ugo.santalucia
    ... otherwise, Dolal L'Etape frameset comes at £750 and it's a carbon endurance frameset... the geometry should be a bit more relaxed than the SS
  • First.Aspect
    Not being funny but who would swap a supersix for one of those?

Is a low end endurance frame going to be any more comfortable than a high end race frame designed for grand tours?

Or will they just have a stupider geometry that you have to fix with a different stem?
  • First.Aspect
    Have figured it out. Ugo wants the supersix cos it's one of the best bikes ever made. Makes complete sense.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    bmxboy10 said:

Want something that will be a bit more comfy.

Comfort is relative - unless you can define what it is you find particularly 'uncomfortable' about your current frameset.

You can be comfortable on any frame - Supersix included - but not necessarily comfortable in any position. Unless you have developed some kind of functional or mobility issue which stops you from being comfortable on the Supersix, then I'd be more inclined to look at positional changes, or tyre/pressure choices.

• ugo.santalucia

Have figured it out. Ugo wants the supersix cos it's one of the best bikes ever made. Makes complete sense.

Yep...
  • MattFalle

well this, obvs, and unfortunately he's getting all giddy over a deal the OP would be mad to take up.
  • MattFalle
    OP: flip the stem so its pointing upwards.

endurance bike position on the SS sorted in one hit as essentially the headtube length is the only difference.
  • ugo.santalucia
    MattFalle said:

well this, obvs, and unfortunately he's getting all giddy over a deal the OP would be mad to take up.
    You never know... :) the Dolan Dual is an awesome frame (he said after 25,000 miles on it), the only reason for me to want a Supersix (or a Ridley Helium, or a Cervelo R4, for what it's worth), is that now I do Hill Climb races and the Supersix would build about a pound lighter, like for like... otherwise I wouldn't bother looking for anything else to be honest.
    With all that in mind, a pound is worth 2-3 Watts at best in such races, so not a big deal
  • MattFalle
    Why not do what I did with my Madone during lockdown?

5.4kg with rubbish Ultegra 8000 and an outlay of around £350 including buying the frame.

• First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

5.4kg with rubbish Ultegra 8000 and an outlay of around £350 including buying the frame.

Isn't ultegra for clubbies?
  • ugo.santalucia
    MattFalle said:

Are you talking to me?
    I am happy as I am, but if someone wanted to swap frames and I had to add say 200 quid for the privilege, it might be worth the hassle of stripping and rebuilding…
    Although I suspect it will make fuxxall difference in a real race

• MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Isn't ultegra for clubbies?
    yup, which is why it came straight off the S3 when it came out of the box an now sits in the loft unused.

its also ugly, clunky, expensive and heavy. altoger ashit 105.

I honestly cannot see the attraction.
  • ugo.santalucia
    MattFalle said:

Well, for some of us Ultegra is something to aspire to. My bike is mostly 105, the chainset is Ultegra (because I wanted 46/36 for close ratios)... the brakes are Ultegra because I got them from a friend... cassette is Ultegra, because 105 only does cassettes for Mamils and children, everything else is 105.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Well, for some of us Ultegra is something to aspire to. My bike is mostly 105, the chainset is Ultegra (because I wanted 46/36 for close ratios)... the brakes are Ultegra because I got them from a friend... cassette is Ultegra, because 105 only does cassettes for Mamils and children, everything else is 105.
    if ultegra is what you aspire to then you've set the bar pretty low tbh.
  • ugo.santalucia
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

I am indifferent to your public display of wealth.

• First.Aspect
    Ugo, MF's a kept man, remember.
  • ugo.santalucia

Hopefully, now that the pandemic is over, we will finally get to witness his Everesting attempt up Hardknott pass... he even has the 5kg bike, no excuses :)
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

I am indifferent to your public display of wealth.

public display of wealth?

mate, its Ultegra, not SR EPS and Obermayers.
  • MattFalle

Hopefully, now that the pandemic is over, we will finally get to witness his Everesting attempt up Hardknott pass... he even has the 5kg bike, no excuses :)
    yeah, right, 'cos there is nothing else to keep me busy at the mo'.

leave this with me.

oh - 5.4kg by the way and the frame was sold ages ago. £170. Was your size as well. Shame.

#oh
  • MattFalle

Too right. Having to get a proper job scares me. You lot can crack on with that jape.

• rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 221
    I've got a SS HM rim brake and also a Cervelo R3 Disc as my endurance bike. The SS is just as comfy, so it is really just a geo question. As above flip the stem or change the stem to a different angle would be a far better solution. For £1k any frame will be rubbish in comparison.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    Thanks everyone.

Ugo its a 54cm - Ive been watching a few interesting bike fit videos so think ill try to make some adjustments first before buying anything else.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    MattFalle said:

its also ugly, clunky, expensive and heavy. altoger ashit 105.

Does this sentence mean something in your language?
    #theMFgobbledegook
  • First.Aspect
    I'm still struggling with a 5.4kg bike for £350.

That simply can't have included bottle cages.
  • MattFalle
    not what ya spend it on but how ya spend it my friend

#don'tbeaclubbie
  • MattFalle

I'm still struggling with a 5.4kg bike for £350.

That simply can't have included bottle cages.

no bottle cages but yes pedals. but 15 year old pedals.