Camping suggestions

Pross
Pross Posts: 40,217
Now it looks like we are hopefully going to be able to get away this summer I'm looking for suggestions of places to go camping on the continent this summer.

In recent years we've been to a family site in northern Brittany twice that had some decent facilities and whilst large was still quite quiet (although there was a big fight between one large family group the second time). We've also been to a site in the Dordogne near Somme, that was smaller and had fewer but still adequate facilities.

We were due to go to a site in Garda two years ago but cancelled. However, we did get to visit for a day in October on a trip to Venice.

We have a good tent but do like going places with pre-assembled tents so we don't have to lug it all with us. In terms of what we are looking for - a decent climate but not necessarily boiling hot, good shower facilities, a decent pool, plenty of decent places to eat nearby and interesting places to visit without driving far. Happy to travel anywhere in France or to Northern Italy (or anywhere else we can drive over two days maximum with a short hotel break).

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    There are a few camp sites on the eastern shore of Lake Annecy. No idea about facilities though. The lake is lovely and warm in the summer.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    The Eurocamp site at Bidart near Biarritz was a great place for this 20 odd years ago - don't know if it has changed any now but it would tick all of your boxes if it was the same.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Have you had a look at https://europe.huttopia.com/en - they have a lot of options.
    We've stayed at a couple of their sites - Les Châteaux in the Loirre and Sarlat in the Dordogne - both sites were similar in terms of facilities, but Sarlat was a nicer town.
  • Pross
    singleton said:

Have you had a look at https://europe.huttopia.com/en - they have a lot of options.
    We've stayed at a couple of their sites - Les Châteaux in the Loirre and Sarlat in the Dordogne - both sites were similar in terms of facilities, but Sarlat was a nicer town.

Thanks, we stayed fairly close to Sarlat a few years ago and visited the town a couple of times whilst there. Very nice location although it does get very busy.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Throwing some curve balls 🤮 with The Vosges and The Jura...

(Why on earth do they pay ASO so much money each year..?)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Black-forest, anywhere near a trainstation.
    You can then get the Konus card that gives you free transportation on trains, buses and sheet, anywhere in the black forest.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    Come to Die. As long as you don't mind Dutch campers, if you come in August. Two good campsites, and a good 1930s municipal open-air pool. No idea of either of the campsites do prefab tents.

Watch out for the English bloke on a bike.
  • Pross

Come to Die. As long as you don't mind Dutch campers, if you come in August. Two good campsites, and a good 1930s municipal open-air pool. No idea of either of the campsites do prefab tents.

Watch out for the English bloke on a bike.

I do fancy the Alps, I also bore the wife every year talking about how great the Ardeche was when I went there the year I left school.

DD Raver also mentioned the Vosges and I have previously looked at staying somewhere near Strasbourg.

My old boss used to always recommend the Vendée.

Might borrow a camper van and travel a bit but that does become difficult for day trips.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Pre booking can often mean committing to a campsite for a week at a time which may suit you, but has often been a little restrictive for us. We end up having to turn up on campsite to try and pick up odd vacant spots for which there is often a queue in the morning for. Early starts are a must (in a camper van you can usually stay in a holding area overnight, so you actually get a free nights stay).
    Most sites are a much of a muchness tbf. As said previously, peak summer is a Dutch majority, but thats no bad thing. :)
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252

Come to Die.

Is that the new James Bond film?