Looking for a new bike, narrowed down to a couple

As per the title really, looking for a new road bike, what with local stock issues (lack of) and being a non driver I'm reliant on geo charts to a degree, however I have swung a leg over a few...

Had a medium TCR Advanced 2 and a 1 (got the 1 as a result of the 2 being written off in road accident). Always felt the medium was a tad big and put a (from memory) 10mm shorter stem. Sold the TCR and got...

An allez elite size 52 - felt spot on all round. Anyway, sold this as thought I'd give up cycling, but the minute it had gone I instantly regretted it - hey ho.

So here I am looking for a new bike.

My budget is an absolute maximum £1500 no more at all and ideally less if poss. I'm by no means a racer and much prefer the more relaxed/upright endurance based geos as get on with these better.

I've been looking for a couple of weeks now and after much deliberation I think I'm set on the cannonsdale synapse 105 (£1400/£1500) in a size 51 - comparing the geos to the allez the sizes are only a few mm different and the next size up would be much to big.

Anything else out there for up to the same budget but would offer more in terms of VFM?

Riding... 20/30 mile rides in summer and on road only. Had considered a gravel but severely doubt I'd ever go on tracks etc with it.

Cheers

Comments

• Have you looked at Boardman SLR 8.9. It also comes 105 equipped but is a carbon frame and cheaper than the Synapse. I think they’re excellent value for money.
  • Thanks both, I'll check them out
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Been looking for a few days now, I've upped to £1750.

Considering....

Giant contend sl1 disc 2021
    Cube attain sl disc 2022

Both 105 with hydraulic brakes, giant has non 105 chainset.

I think it's out of these 2 at the moment.

I don't fancy a boardman, ribble lead time is way off.

The dolan looks interesting mind
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    edited February 2022
    The contend sl1 disc is available online for as low as £1520 if you want a small or medium:
    https://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/giant-contend-sl-1-disc-road-bike-2021-?gclid=CjwKCAiAgbiQBhAHEiwAuQ6BkmYmD5I__6UbFrt9BkohaXLOqyKHYEjIOJdsuxxCPtx7HaxCcrPtwBoCIAAQAvD_BwE
    If you liked your previous giants and you know the sizes - why look for anything else?
  • Be aware than the Cube Attains are as aero as a brick, my 58cm like this model is 588mm reach and 610mm stack.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    The Dolan is carbon and has rim brakes, which means it will be lighter, quieter and easy to deal with compared to an aluminum disc bike. Upgrade to the GP 5000 tyres and it should be a great bike to ride.
  • Only problem I can potentially see with the dolan is sizing, I'm about 5' 7" so bottom end of medium or off the top end of small.

Comparing geo to other bikes makes me feel the dolan would probably mean a fair bit of tweaking
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    Small all day long. What's the problem with the geo?
  • dimmock_g said:

Only problem I can potentially see with the dolan is sizing, I'm about 5' 7" so bottom end of medium or off the top end of small.

Comparing geo to other bikes makes me feel the dolan would probably mean a fair bit of tweaking

My daughter is 5’7” and has a small Dolan Preffesio.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    I’m about 5’6” and have two ‘small’ Dolans.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • OK, after much deliberation and weighing up my options I think I've narrowed it down, albeit with a slight change to a gravel bike. I'd do about 75% Road, but there are some gravel based tracks near where I live which are a nice route as well - along a lengthy prom to the next town. Previously had to walk most of it due to the surface and road tyres. Anyway, I'm thinking....

Orro terra g, 105 hydro version in a small. Stack is 6mm different to previous bike (less) and the reach is identical, seat tube length is also the same so I'm thinking the small would be spot on.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    Sounds ideal, go for it.