Cressida Dick steps aside as head of the Met

Surprised she lasted this long tbh. There’s only so many scandals that can take place under your watch before the mud sticks.

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Stupid swear filter !!!!!!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Enjoying the idea that Patel thinks the Met is too woke

Also, enjoying the idea that *this* is the only policing story the UK is talking about this week

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Local London news is all about the Charing Cross texts.

Some of those involved have since been *promoted*.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    The most damning one I heard was a detective clearly harassing a victim of crime is now in a senior position under her.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    The problem with policing everywhere is twofold in my eyes.

It naturally lends itself to an us against them mentality when you are regularly dealing with a sub-set of society who hate what you stand for.
    Police are recruited by police. Naturally leads to mini me organisations which lack critical thinking and diverse/challenging viewpoints.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597

Stupid swear filter !!!!!!

I think in this case it actually adds to the title.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    still there in the url ;)
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032

She may have a point, less boogying down when they should be working and a more professional attitude at work in general (including conduct in email and messaging).

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    davidof said:

She may have a point, less boogying down when they should be working and a more professional attitude at work in general (including conduct in email and messaging).

A big part of the job is simply being present.
    Being approachable and engaging with people whilst doing so (as in the picture) is hardly a bad thing.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    I'm intrigued how Khan thinks a new head will solve all the problems.
  • I'm intrigued how Khan thinks a new head will solve all the problems.

You mean immediately?
  • TheBigBean

You mean immediately?
    Even over a five year time period.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487

If leaders can't set the culture of an organisation then we are really screwed.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217

Surprised she lasted this long tbh. There’s only so many scandals that can take place under your watch before the mud sticks.

I suspect people may have been worried about how it would be seen sacking the first female and first gay person to have the job.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    morstar said:

It naturally lends itself to an us against them mentality when you are regularly dealing with a sub-set of society who hate what you stand for.
    Police are recruited by police. Naturally leads to mini me organisations which lack critical thinking and diverse/challenging viewpoints.

Yes the chumocracy aspect does seem to be the issue. As well as the police policing themselves.

• Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,868

You mean immediately?
    If she wasn't the person to sort the problems out, she needed to go, regardless of how long it's going to take to fix the problems though.

You mean immediately?
    Unless it's moving in the right direction, then it won't improve even over a twenty year period.

You mean immediately?
    I have seen a CEO change the culture of an organisation albeit only 1600 staff. The new leader would need to directly communicate their values to the leadership and extended leadership team plus all new recruits. I would think that over a 5 year period you could reach a point where every Met officer knew that rape and murder were wrong.

It would also help the crime numbers if they stopped committing them
  • rick_chasey

morstar said:

Yes the chumocracy aspect does seem to be the issue. As well as the police policing themselves.

Luckily hiring practices that focus on competencies rather than "real good guy" (RGG) metrics are derided regularly as "woke" practices.
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2022

You mean immediately?
    I have seen a CEO change the culture of an organisation albeit only 1600 staff. The new leader would need to directly communicate their values to the leadership and extended leadership team plus all new recruits. I would think that over a 5 year period you could reach a point where every Met officer knew that rape and murder were wrong.

They need to come up with a way to protect officers from spurious legal challenges and being baited into bad situations, which absolutely happens and hampers the job substantially, that does not result in police closing ranks every time one of theirs does a bad thing.

I have absolutely no idea how this is done, but that is a real challenge, and I suspect there is a bit of give-and-take around the law and regulation of police officers.

It is also not helped that it is so under funded they have a real problem hiring so often the mate of the bloke who is hiring is the only person they can find.

On a very basic level D!ck managed to convey a real lack of understanding of the issues around policing that were happening in the police-force she was responsible for, so that was always going to be problematic for her.
  • TheBigBean

You mean immediately?

Would they still joke about them and take selfies?
  • First.Aspect

You mean immediately?

This. My own employer has a new CEO and there was an almost instant change in tone. CD seems to have tried to tread a line acknowledging problems without saying or doing much that might be seen to blame anyone around her. Ultimately it not possible to change a culture if you are saying on the one hand that all your colleagues have been doing a great job.
  • TheBigBean

You mean immediately?
    Unless it's moving in the right direction, then it won't improve even over a twenty year period.
    I just think it is a much wider issue and one that politicians need to take some responsibility for. In my neck of the woods, kids routinely kill kids. In an ideal world, they would have a stake in society and not see killing each other as the path to paradise. The police then attempt to manage the mess. This inevitably attracts the sort of person happy to be hated by much of a community. They then adapt their policing to comply with political whims and the general lack of funding and staff. This leads to short-cuts which results in prejudice.

I'm not defending the police officers involved, but it is politicians that need to be held accountable as well.
  • First.Aspect

You mean immediately?
    I just think it is a much wider issue and one that politicians need to take some responsibility for. In my neck of the woods, kids routinely kill kids. In an ideal world, they would have a stake in society and not see killing each other as the path to paradise. The police then attempt to manage the mess. This inevitably attracts the sort of person happy to be hated by much of a community. They then adapt their policing to comply with political whims and the general lack of funding and staff. This leads to short-cuts which results in prejudice.

I'm not defending the police officers involved, but it is politicians that need to be held accountable as well.
    You seem to be arguing in favour of more emphasis on social services. Burn him.
  • rjsterry

You mean immediately?

You mean immediately?

I agree that some of the problems laid at CD's feet were far from unique to the Police. And yes, the ongoing irony of a Conservative government that literally defunded the police and the justice system, but still likes to wang on about being tough on crime.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    edited February 2022
    rjsterry said:

You mean immediately?

You mean immediately?

I agree that some of the problems laid at CD's feet were far from unique to the Police. And yes, the ongoing irony of a Conservative government that literally defunded the police and the justice system, but still likes to wang on about being tough on crime.
    I haven't looked into it, but how much blame does Khan get for funding issues? For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not giving the Conservatives a pass on this, far from it, but I suspect Khan needs some blaming too.
  • rjsterry
    Probably some. I've been somewhat underwhelmed by Khan, but beats having to put up with Livingston or Johnson.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    rjsterry said:

Probably some. I've been somewhat underwhelmed by Khan, but beats having to put up with Livingston or Johnson.

One for the unpopular opinions thread, but my order of preference is 1. Livingston 2. Johnson 3. Khan.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    morstar said:

A big part of the job is simply being present.
    Being approachable and engaging with people whilst doing so (as in the picture) is hardly a bad thing.

it is a bit of marketing fluff to pretend that things are different while fundamentally they are not.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme