wednesday with eight representations

2»

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

MattFalle said:

I'm not sat in a car park but I am sat in a zoom waiting room for a speed awareness course...

zoom .... speed awareness course.

nice.

you have to smile at that.
    I might mention it and see what happens :)
    deffo do it but you have to say "zooooooommm" and "this meeting is coming to screeeeeching halt".

#dadjokes
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167

I'm not sat in a car park but I am sat in a zoom waiting room for a speed awareness course...

Should be a quick meeting...'Yes, I am aware that I was speeding. Now **** off'

Actually one handy bit was a refresher on what speed limits apply when not explicitly posted, which helps avoid getting caught next time.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Afternoon folks,
    A day of WFW today, sorting various bits of nonsense out but can't do anything substantial. Over 13 months in the poxy computer system is still fighting us more than not. I'm of the opinion that it's a lost cause, better off starting again and stop wasting time trying to fix something so fundamentally broken. Maybe I should apply to be one of H³s minions, he could give me a tow to work as well.
    I'm very relieved Masjer described that pumping station as a space, would have had to send an MF round if he'd missed that opportunity. My car is in the car park, but I must have fallen asleep and missed the meeting. Drove in as the EPO is also WFW so I dropped her off on the way in, very pretty in Richmond Park this morning.
    Pub later, well it is Wednesday.
    Anyway, onwards and upwards...
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512

I'm very relieved Masjer described that pumping station as a space, would have had to send an MF round if he'd missed that opportunity.

With all the effort of posting the pic, it would have been rude not to.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    So in summary, dogging in car parks with septic tanks in space, availability of nice 'n' toasty mancave MFs affected by dodgy 'puter systems, sounds fun day all round.

Or maybe my brain is as xxxxed as my body is after a heavy day of high level tripod ladder hand trimming of laurels ++, no machine cut to keep them looking good for client benefit. Xxxx I'm sh@gged out. Beer, easy eat of whatever can find in fridge to cobble together and bed soon.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    orraloon said:

So in summary, dogging in car parks with septic tanks in space, availability of nice 'n' toasty mancave MFs affected by dodgy 'puter systems, sounds fun day all round.

You could call the septic tank a 'space'. Wouldn't be any worse than some of the Grand designs.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    What '8 representations' @sungod ?
  • FAO van drivers, did you know that NSL limits are lower by 10mph for vans than cars on certain roads?
    I certainly didn't and the fact i have a L200 pick up (commercial vehicle) made me think... Howerever it looks like unlaiden vehicles weighing less that 2040kg are exemnpt. Mine is classesed at 2035.

Perhaps it's more complicated tham we think...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno

FAO van drivers, did you know that NSL limits are lower by 10mph for vans than cars on certain roads?
    I certainly didn't and the fact i have a L200 pick up (commercial vehicle) made me think... Howerever it looks like unlaiden vehicles weighing less that 2040kg are exemnpt. Mine is classesed at 2035.

Perhaps it's more complicated tham we think...

It ain't 2035 when you are in it :smile:

Yup - tyre bloke reminded me that A roads unless specified are 60 limit.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,435
    pinno said:

an allusion to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eightfold_way_(physics)#Connection_to_representation_theory and when there was proper science on tv, not shallow tosh
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01z4p1j
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • pinno
    sungod said:

pinno said:

an allusion to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eightfold_way_(physics)#Connection_to_representation_theory and when there was proper science on tv, not shallow tosh
    I see, though me no understandy. Me likes wires, screws*, nuts*, bolts* and a bit of electronics thrown in.

*Of the high tensile or stainless steel variety.

What do you think of that fusion stuff with the French though? Exciting. 5 seconds is not a lot but something. What is the total cost of that 5 seconds?
    Do you think you could merge brain cells and double capacity?
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    edited February 2022
    pinno said:

sungod said:

pinno said:

I see, though me no understandy. Me likes wires, screws*, nuts*, bolts* and a bit of electronics thrown in.

What do you think of that fusion stuff with the French though? Exciting. 5 seconds is not a lot but something. What is the total cost of that 5 seconds?
    It’s estimated that only 1% of the global energy supply will be generated by fusion by 2060. I worry that fusion might arrive too late. Whatever, in the meantime, we’re going to have to harness more energy from the giant fusion reactor in the sky and probably build more conventional nuclear fission power stations.
    Also, would having an almost unlimited clean energy supply be a good thing for us or especially Earth itself?
    Sorry, not a scientific response, I’ll leave that for sungod (how apt).
  • sungod
    pinno said:

sungod said:

pinno said:

sustaining fusion for 5s is impressive, it averaged about 11 megawatts output

but jet takes 700-800 megawatts to run so it can't run for long (bits would melt even if that input could be sustained), it's heavily in the red on the energy balance sheet

it's purpose is research and learning how to do the next ones better (iter in france, step in uk), not net positive generation

viable controlled fusion power plants with this approach might be 20-30 years away, and have been this far off for a long time, progress is slow

other approaches to fusion might succeed sooner...

tae with its accelerator-based approach is planning to move much faster, investors want returns not research, it might not work, or it might make billions https://tae.com/fusion-power/

we've gone from launch vehicles being the domain of government agencies to having multiple private companies remarkably fast, perhaps the same can happen with fusion
  • Stevo_666
    Too late to sort our electric bills in any event...
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Stevo_666 said:

Wish I could fix ours at the older prices. Expected increase is more than I spent on my gravel bike 😢
  • pinno
    tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Wish I could fix ours at the older prices. Expected increase is more than I spent on my gravel bike 😢
    Last bill was £107 for a month (it's due to go up to £123. Very glad my primary (only) source of heating is wood. That costs me iro £900 - £1k per annum, so total bill including leccy is currently £2.2k pa. roughly.
    Last year, my monthly leccy bills were averaging £67 pcm.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    pinno said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Last bill was £107 for a month (it's due to go up to £123. Very glad my primary (only) source of heating is wood. That costs me iro £900 - £1k per annum, so total bill including leccy is currently £2.2k pa. roughly.
    Last year, my monthly leccy bills were averaging £67 pcm.
    Thankfully we have recently installed a hot tub that runs 24/7 at 39 degrees
  • Stevo_666
    edited February 2022
    tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My last bill was a bit of a shocker, but given it was cold and dark and I spent a fair bit of time with the wall heaters going continuously in the 'cave', I suppose that was understandable. We also need to get round to upgrading loads of old spotlights to LED's which will help a bit.
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

My last bill was a bit of a shocker, but given it was cold and dark and I spent a fair bit of time with the wall heaters going continuously in the 'cave', I suppose that was understandable. We also need to get round to upgrading loads of old spotlights to LED's which will help a bit.
    The LED GU10 replacements can be harsh. You can find yellow/soft light one's instead of the piercing white bluish light type.
  • sungod
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

The LED GU10 replacements can be harsh. You can find yellow/soft light one's instead of the piercing white bluish light type.
    and watch out if there's a dimmer

a led-specific dimmer is needed, even then the things can flicker when turned down, grrr
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Extra blankets and candles chez oconn.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

and watch out if there's a dimmer

a led-specific dimmer is needed, even then the things can flicker when turned down, grrr
    I think the electrician mentioned it would be more than just swapping the bulbs, as we do have dimmers on some of them.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

Stevo_666 said:

Yep, we don't like the white/blue ones.
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman said:

Screwfix do bulk packs just get the warm white rather than the bluer ones as pinno mentioned.

Those are the ones we're after. We've already for some LED light bulbs that give off a slightly yellow-ish light.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    I have no idea what my power costs. I will go and look at the household account. I think my supplier went bust. Bulb.

Oh. 180 per month for gas and electric, and the account is in credit. Literally no idea if it's capped. Still, it's nearly spring.

Even a fcuking ignoramus like me can read a light bulb pack. They literally say "warm", "bright", "like the fcuking sun" on the pack. Ours have to change fcuking colour for some reason. I can get savannah sunset, or Arctic Dawn, and any colour in between. Or make them come on and off to "fool" burglars that there's someone home.

I chucked a load of burning non-dimmer-specific bulbs onto the bowling green. I didn't read the packet on that occasion.
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

Yes but that's because you're sh.agging all the time.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    pinno said:

seanoconn said:

Wife covid + stress of starting new job = “get off me!”
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

seanoconn said:

Wife covid + stress of starting new job = “get off me!”
    Oh dear. Have you tried the 'sex is a stress buster and will take your mind off things' argument?