Bike under £1000

Hi

I currently have a Trek Domane 2.3 2015 (https://archive.trekbikes.com/us/en/2015/Trek/domane_2_3_compact#/us/en/2015/Trek/domane_2_3_compact/details).

I am thinking on buying another road bike and i am wondering if, given that the bike is 7 years old, with a budget of £1000 i would be able to find a bike with better specs than that?

Thanks

Comments

• If you are talking about a new bike from a shop then I can't see it happening. If it's new to you but second hand then possibly.

When you ask about better spec what specifically are you looking to improve by getting a new bike?
    Bikeauthority.cc
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    why do ypu want to get rid of the current bike?

a grand can buy some nice upgrades if spent wisely....
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • javidr
    javidr Posts: 133
    It would be a new bike, yes. In terms of improvements, a better frame, groupset etc... basically a bike that performs better.

I dont want to buy upgrades, i am thinking on buying a new bike for long rides and keep this one for winter and short rides

Thanks
  • MattFalle
    I'd refer you to bikeauthotity dude tbh
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    If you look on Halfords, you can get a bike with disc brakes for under £1000. But will probably be heavier than what you have now. To get a better bike, you are going to have to spend closer to £2000.
  • MattFalle
    and remember that whether disc brakes are better than rims is a very grey area,especially at the price point.

whats Planet X doing at the mo'? anything of interest for a bag?
  • javidr
    javidr Posts: 133
    thanks. yeah, what i saw is prices went up crazily in the last years so i was fearing i wouldnt be able to find anything interesting with that budget.

So, plan B, i will think on buying a cheap bike then and keep this one as the main one :)

Thanks!
  • For £1k you can probably get a bloody good second hand bike
  • ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • MattFalle
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    £1000 used to be a key price point so bikes sneaked in under the cycle to work limit but now that has pretty much gone by the wayside.

The Boardman would be where I would stick my money if I wanted the best bike I could get for £1000. But... its got the same groupset your current bike has, the wheels aren't really any better, it does have a better frame but that won't be night and day. It will probably shift, stop and feel better just because it's newer but that won't last forever.

Even second hand prices are still a little crazy post covid/brexit bike shortages so you'll whilst you'll almost certainly be able to get better specs for your money, it won't be leagues better. This applies if you wanted a cheaper "winter bike" equally; it also applies if you want to sell your current bike.

IMO decide what you want "to be better" and go from there. Lighter, more comfortable, more aero or just have something to take the worst of the weather.

The answer might be to just keep what you have and use the £1000 for a set of carbon hoops and a smart turbo; or sell what you have and get the Boardman with a set of carbon wheels on top (so you have a single bike with winter & summer wheels). On both your plan A & B you run the risk of having two fairly similar bikes with neither really being "best".
  • danx
    danx Posts: 27
    javidr said:

It would be a new bike, yes. In terms of improvements, a better frame, groupset etc... basically a bike that performs better.

I dont want to buy upgrades, i am thinking on buying a new bike for long rides and keep this one for winter and short rides

Thanks

You could get a more 'aero' frame if that is better for you, and probably a little lighter but without the decoupler.

Your Domain has 11spd 105, which you won't beat for that price.

You could gain lower end disc brakes, which will negate any weight loss from the frame.

Unless you desperately want low end disc brakes, or your current groupset is about worn out then I don't see that you will gain anything. You will probably see a bigger improvement by spending half that amount on some better wheels.
  • The sad thing is that we have reached a stage where we are having to tell people that a new road bike with a half decent spec is going to set them back £1500-2000.

I know there are cheaper options or second hand, but for many people looking to get into road cycling, they are simply being priced out of it.

I know a decent bike has never been a budget buy, but a low four figure sum just to get started these days would put me off if I was just starting out.
  • I bought my first bike, £300 from eBay. 9sp ultegra, Ali frame, carbon forks and handbuilt wheels.

An old 10speed allez can be had for that money albeit with crappy wheels.
  • Super_davo has this one nailed. The Boardman really won't be much better than your current bike and I think it's important that you think hard about what you expect from a new bike and what can realistically be achieved.

If you are set on a new bike, especially one for year round use, I'd suggest saving a bit more cash, like £1500. If £1000 is max budget then some new wheels, nicer tyres and a good clean/service is really your best bet for any type of performance improvement.
    Bikeauthority.cc
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    javidr said:

thanks. yeah, what i saw is prices went up crazily in the last years so i was fearing i wouldnt be able to find anything interesting with that budget.

So, plan B, i will think on buying a cheap bike then and keep this one as the main one :)

Thanks!

Why do you want another road bike?

If you are buying a cheaper one, is it to be a winter bike, a commuter bike, what's it's intended use?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18