Winter gravel tyres for muddy UK conditions - 700c

Had a quick search through the forum & couldn't see anything on it, so thought I'd just ask now.

Has anyone got any recommendations for a 700c gravel tyre for typical UK winter slop? Soil round my way can get a bit of clay in there which doesn't help matters, max clearance is around 45mm.

Am I better off going for a CX tyre for the really muddy days?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    CX tyres are probably the way to go. You want to make sure you have a decent amount of room around the tyre for mud clearance, otherwise you'll be stopping every 5 minutes to clear it so that your tyres can actually spin, so a 35mm tyre will be far better than a 45mm tyre. A mud tread may be the right way to go, but you have almost limitless options.
  • 33mm X One Bite is supposed to be decent.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I can give no comparison as whilst I bought a cross frame I stuck road wheels on it initially. I did my first off-road ride with new Fulcrum Red's two weeks ago. It was in the Surrey woods and it was mostly sludge, a foot of it. It took me three washes to get it off my bike and me.

I bought Hutinson Tourag's 40mm. They seemed to cope just as well as anyone else and there was a fair selection of cross and off-road tyres. They felt comfy on the roads and are apparently although designed for 'gravel', not English mud generated by two weeks of constant downpours they were as good as I think you could do.

I checked reviews and they seem not to get the best write-up's. But hey, I'm happy.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    LOL I have same issue, my Gravelking SKs are great on chalky Chiltern trails, but a real handful on mud.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • I’ve gone with the Terravail Rutland 38mm, seem to grip well in mud & roll pretty well on the tarmac
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Smart Sams are a good choice, as are Conti Race King - both are decent for light off road, while offering adequate road performance..