Shimano M775 pad suggestions

Hi all

What pads are people suggestion for the M775 brakes please?

I need some new ones and never brought a set and unsure what I have.

Thanks

Phil

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited January 2022
    Hi. Pads are usually colour coded as to what compounds they are. If you currently have genuine Shimano pads it should be stamped on the backing plate and/or have a serial number on there.

I'm not gonna recomend any specific brand as i.m.e. there isn't any (or enough?) to notice a performance difference overall even comparing genuine, well known aftermarket or generic, no name ebay stuff.

Just some random examples of suitable A-type pads:-

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/clarks-shimano-xtr-xt-a-type-brake-pads/rp-prod142713

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-shimano-xtr-xt-saint-m800-slx-lx-pads

I reckon it's more about deciding on a pad compound that will suit what you need best.

Metal/sintered pads seem most popular for riders as they last a lot longer with the usual wet and muddy U.K. weather.

F.w.i.w. I'm trying out a set of 'Vandorm, V-comp' ceramic pads on the front but honestly can't tell the difference between those and my usual cheaper sintered choice.
  • fil_b
    fil_b Posts: 34
    Thanks for the advice and I’ll have a look at Metal/sintered pads as yeah it’s does get wet and muddy lol
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    They last longer, but I find that they are noisier. I hate brakes that squeal.
  • reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited January 2022
    T.b.h squealing noise isn't something I've noticed to be any different between compounds either.

Resin pads squeal in the wet until they warm up and burn off excess moisture as do metallic pads.

It's possible that there's a difference even though I haven't noticed.

Anyhow seeing as Steve has put his two cents in 😉there's usually a good seller's description showing all the pros and cons of each type to help decide. 😎👍
  • gomezz
    gomezz Posts: 99
    Uberbike Components, a Sheffield based firm have a good selection of pads and other stuff at a good price. They have been quick to deliver too.