BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,552
    pblakeney said:

Go wild and get a globe.

Only if it is a drinks cabinet for parties business meetings.
    No. I love a globe for all occasions.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,841

pblakeney said:

Go wild and get a globe.

Only if it is a drinks cabinet for parties business meetings.
    No. I love a globe for all occasions.

Your cover is blown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqecdQyTFvM
  • TheBigBean
    If you wanted to work out whether Bangkok or Seoul was nearer London, you could ask the internet, but you'll never get an answer from a flat map.

It's Seoul
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,608
    The weather station in the Orkneys was the first point in the UK to record the blast wave from the Tonga eruption.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    rjsterry said:

The weather station in the Orkneys was the first point in the UK to record the blast wave from the Tonga eruption.

Ooooh that's rather delicious...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • If you wanted to work out whether Bangkok or Seoul was nearer London, you could ask the internet, but you'll never get an answer from a flat map.

It's Seoul
    you will be surprised to learn that I own a globe, I think my interest was generated by being non-plussed by the "direct routes" airlines took to get places.

In the adjusted world maps it is amazing how much smaller Canada and Russia get
  • In the adjusted world maps it is amazing how much smaller Canada and Russia get

And Australia. It was relatively small on my 2D map of the world as a child. But the England cricketer who described it (in the pre-aeroplane days) as "Miles and miles of b*gger all then miles and miles of b*gger all else" was spot on.

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921

And Australia. It was relatively small on my 2D map of the world as a child. But the England cricketer who described it (in the pre-aeroplane days) as "Miles and miles of b*gger all then miles and miles of b*gger all else" was spot on.

For Sydney to Perth, think in terms of London to Moscow
  • TheBigBean

If you wanted to work out whether Bangkok or Seoul was nearer London, you could ask the internet, but you'll never get an answer from a flat map.

It's Seoul
    you will be surprised to learn that I own a globe, I think my interest was generated by being non-plussed by the "direct routes" airlines took to get places.

Greenland is the one that stands out to me.
  • If you wanted to work out whether Bangkok or Seoul was nearer London, you could ask the internet, but you'll never get an answer from a flat map.

It's Seoul

Just looked it up as I knew is was smaller but was amazed it is a third of the size of Australia
  • TheBigBean

It's Seoul

Just looked it up as I knew is was smaller but was amazed it is a third of the size of Australia
    India is 1.5 times bigger than Greenland.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,717

It's Seoul

Sydney is closer to Aukland than Perth.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,533
    pblakeney said:

It's Seoul

Sydney is closer to Aukland than Perth.
    Well all read the same book haha. Chapter one...
  • I had not realised how big the Pacific was until I flew from LA to Honkers. The seat back screen map remained blue for hours
  • TheBigBean

I had not realised how big the Pacific was until I flew from LA to Honkers. The seat back screen map remained blue for hours

I met a guy who sailed it as crew from the Galapagos to NZ. Think it took three weeks. He didn't want to see the other crew ever again.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,608

It's Seoul

I mean it's still quite big. Just not roughly the same size as Africa.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • I had not realised how big the Pacific was until I flew from LA to Honkers. The seat back screen map remained blue for hours

I met a guy who sailed it as crew from the Galapagos to NZ. Think it took three weeks. He didn't want to see the other crew ever again.
    that seems very quick, I met a crew who had spent three weeks sailing across the Atlantic and were walking like drunk people
  • TheBigBean
    edited January 2022

I had not realised how big the Pacific was until I flew from LA to Honkers. The seat back screen map remained blue for hours

that seems very quick, I met a crew who had spent three weeks sailing across the Atlantic and were walking like drunk people
    Perhaps it was longer. Must have been as it is 20,000 kms, so 3 weeks of constant sailing would have required a speed of 40km/h. Does make me wonder if I misremembered, and it was 3 months of sailing...
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,925

Outrage in NI this morning as it's confirmed the government will be changing the rules to allow MPs to sit as MLAs and vice versa.

Clear benefit to the DUP as it means Jeffrey Donaldson can run as an MLA without risking a potentially risky Upper Bann Westminster by-election.

Smaller Unionist parties also demanding to know what the DUP have conceded in return

As a side note, it had been noted how quiet the DUP had been on partygate.

Amendment withdraw

Not before the term #Jeffreymandering entered the NI political lexicon
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • TheBigBean
    I struggle to take seriously any analysis of long term trade that includes Jan 2021.
  • pblakeney

I struggle to take seriously any analysis of long term trade that includes Jan 2021.

I struggle to take seriously any analysis of long term trade that includes the past 2 years due to Covid. Handy excuse but a genuine one.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,533
    So what are the reasons for the outlier behaviour?
  • pblakeney

Different countries took different approaches to combat Covid which affects economic results in different ways. Sure, you can draw conclusions but there are too many variables to be certain.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean

Jan 2021 had a drop in trade due to new Brexit rules and all the stockpiling that went on in Dec 2020.
  • Dec to Nov in both would be a rational comparison. There's enough post Brexit in that period to show any real deviation, without any excuse of stockpiling. Or March to Nov in both.
  • TheBigBean

Dec to Nov in both would be a rational comparison. There's enough post Brexit in that period to show any real deviation, without any excuse of stockpiling. Or March to Nov in both.

March onwards would make more sense, but it may need to be seasonally adjusted. There was clearly a reduction in trade in Jan 2021 even considering the stockpiling. It was news in Feb. It doesn't need to be continually reported as new analysis.
  • Dec to Nov in both would be a rational comparison. There's enough post Brexit in that period to show any real deviation, without any excuse of stockpiling. Or March to Nov in both.

March onwards would make more sense, but it may need to be seasonally adjusted. There was clearly a reduction in trade in Jan 2021 even considering the stockpiling. It was news in Feb. It doesn't need to be continually reported as new analysis.
    I am in no way an expert but don't these monthly figures bounce around?

Logic would suggest that there would be an initial drop and then gradual drops as business found less inefficient way of doing things.

The concept that increasing barriers to trade could increase the level of trade is one that I find fascinating. Ignoring the text books just think of what would happen to international trade policy. How quickly would countries be able to tear up trade deals so that they could erect tariffs and non-tariff barriers to boost trade?
  • TheBigBean

Dec to Nov in both would be a rational comparison. There's enough post Brexit in that period to show any real deviation, without any excuse of stockpiling. Or March to Nov in both.

I am in no way an expert but don't these monthly figures bounce around?

Logic would suggest that there would be an initial drop and then gradual drops as business found less inefficient way of doing things.

The concept that increasing barriers to trade could increase the level of trade is one that I find fascinating. Ignoring the text books just think of what would happen to international trade policy. How quickly would countries be able to tear up trade deals so that they could erect tariffs and non-tariff barriers to boost trade?
    Clearly more trade barriers should reduce trade. What annoys me is the constant misrepresentation of the data to show a far greater impact.