tuesday the eye of ra is reborn

'ning

nippy, looks like a foggy start before brightness

ride, cafes and wfh, plot bubbly outing
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Very sad day at WS Towers. Had to say goodbye to our lovely old rescue dog today. She's struggled for a fair while with decreasing mobility, and the last few days has been unable to stand or even move pretty much at all.

Think she was approaching 14 years, so for a Doberman X that was pretty good. Made us laugh, delightful personality, and so pleased we could give her last few years a comfortable life.

This photo is from a couple months after we first brought her home from the pound. She used to run around with a silly grin on her face so happy to be out and about on Sniffari.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Sorry to hear the new WS. That's a great photo though and definitely one to keep.

Nothing exciting happening here: WFW, Run, Gym.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Sad news WS

Run with intervals in -5 is not the best way to start a day

Work stuff with board call, all without the catering division is going to be hard work
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    You did the dog proud by giving her a home and a life WS.

Jeezo it's dark.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    edited January 2022
    tlw1 said:

Run

This ^. Silly.

+
    tlw1 said:

in -5

This ^ = Very silly.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    Sad WS, upside is you did her good.

Frosty (not the unelected bureaucrat ex-brexshit BSman, thank goodness) outside. Got another dad's taxi run to do after the communter and school gates waves have subsided. Then is day 1 do nothing embargo day post eye treatment. Might even finally decide how much tax I want to give to our illustrious, positive role model GINO. Any guesses?
  • tlw1
    pinno said:

tlw1 said:

Run

This ^. Silly.

+
    tlw1 said:

in -5

This ^ = Very silly.
    But no one around and due to the moon - didn’t need a head torch in the open

• pinno
    edited January 2022
    It was bright last night.

News from T47. He's built an etrike equad(?):

"48v 500w motor, 20amp battery will run the motor up to about 1100watts plus the additional pedalling wattage of two nodders! Pedal assist to five levels and a cheeky over ride thumb throttle added to Scary torque steer, wheel spins, crap braking system all add to the experience. Oh yeah 67kgs. Average of 14watts per km (54.2x20/14=77kms total range before you have to cycle the rest unaided, which is entirely possible so no range anxiety)"

...and dug a drainage ditch for his forest:

• orraloon
    ^ like the beer crate on the back. Priorities.
  • tlw1
    Awesome!
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

^ like the beer crate on the back. Priorities.

The 'beer crate' is for all the electrics:

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149

Very sad day at WS Towers. Had to say goodbye to our lovely old rescue dog today. She's struggled for a fair while with decreasing mobility, and the last few days has been unable to stand or even move pretty much at all.

Think she was approaching 14 years, so for a Doberman X that was pretty good. Made us laugh, delightful personality, and so pleased we could give her last few years a comfortable life.

This photo is from a couple months after we first brought her home from the pound. She used to run around with a silly grin on her face so happy to be out and about on Sniffari.

Very sad WS - RIP :( For many of us, losing a dog is like losing a family member. Will you get another dog?

BTW - like the word 'Sniffari' - will use that one :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    pinno said:

Jeezo it's dark.

• Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    Thanks all.

The first day we saw her at the pound she was in an exercise yard, standing on top of the shelter barking her head off. We later guessed that was her shouting for someone - anyone - to come and save her. She’d been in there for almost 4 months, and they have trouble re-homing old dogs usually, let alone big breed ones.

Couple days later we went back, spent some time in the yard with her and she was quiet, but still desperate to find the way out. The staff asked us a hundred times if we were sure we’d be able to manage. We signed the paperwork and walked her out.

Opened the tailgate on my wagon from 30 yards away and she just ran over and jumped straight in, never looked back for a second, as if to say “thank f^ck for that, just get me outta here!” Got home, and she did a couple of laps of the place, and settled onto the rug. Didn’t make a sound for three weeks - not a bark or anything, probably terrified we’d take her back.

Seriously hard work for 6 months though till she finally just chilled out. Think she realised she really was safe, and the place was hers.

@Stevo_666 I don’t know if we’ll get another, not for a fair while anyway.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Morning folks,
    Bit chilly out, bit chilly in as well as the boiler decided it fancied a rest and didn't bother waking up this morning. Thankfully I got it going without any problems, hopefully it's just a blip.
    Sorry to hear about the dog Spinner, certainly looks characterful.
    TLW, Pinno is right, running is silly, running in -5 is even sillier.
    I like t47's new quad, even the luggage can pedal to help them along.
    Busy day of wfh here, might go for a stroll at lunchtime.
    I think I know where some of the MFs got to, a colleague was saying he saw an Aygo on it's roof in Twickenham the other day.
  • veronese68

Morning folks,
    Bit chilly out, bit chilly in as well as the boiler decided it fancied a rest and didn't bother waking up this morning. Thankfully I got it going without any problems, hopefully it's just a blip.
    Sorry to hear about the dog Spinner, certainly looks characterful.
    TLW, Pinno is right, running is silly, running in -5 is even sillier.
    I like t47's new quad, even the luggage can pedal to help them along.
    Busy day of wfh here, might go for a stroll at lunchtime.
    I think I know where some of the MFs got to, a colleague was saying he saw an Aygo on it's roof in Twickenham the other day.

Forgot to say, I saw the Sun Ra Arkestra playing at the Union Chapel a few years back. Great setting for something so completely bonkers, chemical assistance might have helped.
  • orraloon
    I could do with a reborn eye.

Good news from GP, latest blood tests showing same as before v low levels of the markers for rheumatoid arthritis. So ain't that causing joint pains. Agreed I keep on with the exercise regimes and get some physio assessment.

Meanwhile the earlier low level and awkward for driving sunshine has disappeared and a freezing fog is settling over The Valley. Must be winter or summat.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Sorry to hear the news WS. Surprising how important they become to us. Never easy to say goodbye but doing the right thing is hard.

Busy morning teaching. Just had my tomato soup and fruit (got to lose the Christmas/Covid weight). Going to get back on the turbo this evening. Sunday was ridiculous. Couldn’t hold any power for any time without my legs exploding. Hoping that as I do more then my hips will feel better as the strength comes back.

Also, been looking out for a full carbon fork for the defy as its quite a bit lighter than the aluminium steerer one. One has appeared on eBay but the colours don’t quite match. What do you all think, would it look OK with yellow on the leading edge of the fork rather than white? I can’t decide…

White (as standard)

Yellow (hmmm)

• Stevo_666

Thanks all.

The first day we saw her at the pound she was in an exercise yard, standing on top of the shelter barking her head off. We later guessed that was her shouting for someone - anyone - to come and save her. She’d been in there for almost 4 months, and they have trouble re-homing old dogs usually, let alone big breed ones.

Couple days later we went back, spent some time in the yard with her and she was quiet, but still desperate to find the way out. The staff asked us a hundred times if we were sure we’d be able to manage. We signed the paperwork and walked her out.

Opened the tailgate on my wagon from 30 yards away and she just ran over and jumped straight in, never looked back for a second, as if to say “thank f^ck for that, just get me outta here!” Got home, and she did a couple of laps of the place, and settled onto the rug. Didn’t make a sound for three weeks - not a bark or anything, probably terrified we’d take her back.

Seriously hard work for 6 months though till she finally just chilled out. Think she realised she really was safe, and the place was hers.

@Stevo_666 I don’t know if we’ll get another, not for a fair while anyway.

A real heartwarming story, thanks for that WS.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    In the office today, got a slightly later train than usual after spending a bit of time scraping ice off the car and demisting the screen. Still, nice to get warmed up on the drive over to the station while the car thermometer showed anywhere between -4 and -2 outside. Lots of 'Teams' meetings today but not too stressful.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    johngti said:

Sorry to hear the news WS. Surprising how important they become to us. Never easy to say goodbye but doing the right thing is hard.

Busy morning teaching. Just had my tomato soup and fruit (got to lose the Christmas/Covid weight). Going to get back on the turbo this evening. Sunday was ridiculous. Couldn’t hold any power for any time without my legs exploding. Hoping that as I do more then my hips will feel better as the strength comes back.

Also, been looking out for a full carbon fork for the defy as its quite a bit lighter than the aluminium steerer one. One has appeared on eBay but the colours don’t quite match. What do you all think, would it look OK with yellow on the leading edge of the fork rather than white? I can’t decide…

White (as standard)

Yellow (hmmm)

no, that's not a good look

you could get the yellow one, paint it black
  • I'm also booked in at the doctors as I'm constantly tired, after 9 hours of sleep I could do another couple most days.
    Sun's out here, got the kids later so that's the fun drained out of the evening.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • veronese68
    sungod said:

johngti said:

White (as standard)

Yellow (hmmm)

no, that's not a good look

you could get the yellow one, paint it black
    I agree, not great. But if you don't wash the bike it won't stand out as much.
  • johngti
    Yeah it’s a bit gash isn’t it. Probably just save my money and cope with an extra 300g on the weight of the bike 😱😱
  • Stevo_666
    johngti said:

Yeah it’s a bit gash isn’t it. Probably just save my money and cope with an extra 300g on the weight of the bike 😱😱

If you want to lose 300g, it's cheaper to take a good dump before you go riding.
  • johngti
    Yeah but where’s the fun in that, eh Stevo? (Might be best to not answer that on this forum…)
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    This afternoon's gentle run was a bit quick. Must've been that dump I had before going out.
    Back is hurting a bit now.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Sad news Spinner, sad news indeed. Pets really are part of the family.
    First time in almost 6 months I've looked on BB and immediately read bad news.
    Perhaps I'm just a bit of a Jonah.
    I see most of the gang is still here and not been claimed by covid.
    Well I assume not.
  • Stevo_666
    johngti said:

Yeah but where’s the fun in that, eh Stevo? (Might be best to not answer that on this forum…)

This being the BB, the standard answer is to spend the savings on hookers n blow.
  • Stevo_666
    edited January 2022

Sad news Spinner, sad news indeed. Pets really are part of the family.
    First time in almost 6 months I've looked on BB and immediately read bad news.
    Perhaps I'm just a bit of a Jonah.
    I see most of the gang is still here and not been claimed by covid.
    Well I assume not.

Welcome back Bally. I see you got your priorities sorted by putting Cake Stop to rights before dipping in here.

Have you been called a misogynist or a bigot yet?