Giant trance 3 for a newbie

Hi All

Decided to finally get myself a MTB and a Giant trance 3 (2016) has come up for sale, potentially around 600. It's standard (Rockshox and 10 spd deore) other than replacement handlebars.
I've had a look and noticed some stiffness when spinning the crank so think the BB may need replacing, other than that and a few scratches, it's in good condition.

Please can someone advise on this bike - some reviews are saying its great, but one in particular said the suspension is terrible.
I'm a beginner (but have ridden road bikes for years), so I don't need top end but would like something that will last and I could upgrade in future.

https://99spokes.com/en-GB/bikes/giant/2016/trance-27.5-3

https://www.vitalmtb.com/product/guide/Bikes,3/Giant/Trance-27-5-3,12776#product-reviews/1561/expand

thanks

Comments

• chatlow
    chatlow Posts: 845
    thank you - appreciate that, as I'm close to saying yes. he hasn't ridden it in 2 years so will definitely need a service (especially the BB) and would also like to fit a dropper post to it. Seems a very good deal for 600ish, fingers crossed nothing major is up with it
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    edited January 2022
    I think the trance is a good bike - but are you sure that you need full suspension?

I'm a long term roadie who's recently got an MTB and I got a 29er hardtail and it's been great for what I need.

Hardtails are at a lower price point to buy and there's less to maintain and to go wrong on them over time.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    edited January 2022
    The Giant Trance was a very good bike in its day, may still be now, I haven't kept up. The bike is five years old, maybe older and has not been ridden for the last 2 years (so the seller says). What sort of maintenance has it had, is the seller the original owner, what sort of trails has it been ridden on, how large is the seller, can you believe him?

You mention the BB and you are probably correct, but it is a cheap fix if you DIY. The suspension will cost £105 per end -plus postage for a full service. Also labour if you let the LBS remove the components and reassemble for you.

Don't let my stream of negatives put you off buying, but do keep your eyes open!
  • chatlow
    thanks all. in terms of what I'm after - full suspension would be better suited as mostly for downhill trails, e.g bike park Wales.

As for the seller, I'll never really know for sure. He seems a good guys but who knows. He bought an electric MTB and said the last time is got serviced was when it got used, 2 years ago. Conditions seems OK, few marks scratches as expected, only the cranks I noticed had an issue.

I was mostly concerned that this model/age trance wouldn't be a good choice given that 2nd review, but I suppose it's coming from a professional rider with higher expectations.

I would be comfortable replacing the BB as done this a lot on my other bikes, but wouldn't have a clue about suspension and hydraulic brakes, so would likely go to the LBS if not obvious on youtube
  • chatlow
    sorry guys - another bike came up yesterday for £900
    Specialized stumjumper fsr 2017. standard other than fox rear shock, bars and dropper post. Looks in very good condition so have requested to view it.

Components are slightly better than the deore stuff on the trance (sram gx) so it might be worth the extra 300 given the service, BB and dropper post i want on the trance will cost close to that
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    I have a 2016 Trance 2 and it is a great bike. Maestro rear suspension is superb and the Sector forks on the 3 are fine. You just need to spend a bit of time setting the pressures and rebound.
    If it has the original width handle bars (690mm) they will be too narrow. Upgrade to some 760/780mm and it transforms the handling.
    I have ridden my Trance at loads of places - Cwmcarn, BPW, Llandegla, Cannock Chase, FoD and plenty of natural trails and it has never been overwhelmed. My ability runs out way before the bike's does.
    I have just read that review you linked to and it appears to be for a 2013/14 Trance so I'd disregard it. The Trance went through a fairly big design change for 2014 that made it a far more capable trail bike.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009