HRMs - not on the chest?

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,098
Now most cycling HRMs are designed for chest wearing, but what if that's not comfy? I have respiratory issues (Asthma, etc) and am trying to change my breathing, can you wear an HRM on a different part of the body? I'm sure I've seen people wearing them on their arms?

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    edited January 2022
    The chest straps detect electrical signals from your heart muscle, so no.

Best bet is wrist mounted, which are optical. In a medical setting these can be placed over various body parts that have sufficient perfusion, but upper arm isn't one that I've seen in the patent work I did.

Wrist mounted ones on smart watches are okay,.but not as accurate as the chest straps. The signal is weak, or the strap tight. Take your pick.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,599
    I'd politely suggest that if a chest strap is enough to hinder breathing then strenuous exercise is possibly a bad idea. I have asthma.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    I use a Garmin HR strap while on the turbo trainer so it can talk to the software, and usually also still have the Apple Watch on my wrist.

I'm impressed at how consistently they agree on heart rate, rarely more than 1 or 2 BPM difference in the readings.

However it (obvs) doesn't talk to the trainer software. Do you need that?

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • joeyhalloran
    joeyhalloran Posts: 1,073
    Are you wearing the cheat strap too tight?

I use my Garmin forerunner watch to broadcast my heart rate when needed, works reasonably well thought slightly less accurate I think.
  • You can go way overboard with how tight you have hrm cheststraps, I've done it myself.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    Polar and Scosche also do arm-based monitors.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    you could tape a pulse ox to your finger and measure o2 as well as p/r for a further variable

if turboing you don't need the tape for obvs reasons.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • I got a scosche one - works fine. I don't really like chest based monitors.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    pblakeney said:

I'd politely suggest that if a chest strap is enough to hinder breathing then strenuous exercise is possibly a bad idea. I have asthma.

It's more a psychological thing. I need to start using my lower lungs more, but the chest strap, whilst not tight, feels or is distracting. It's not hindering me.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I find my garmin watch is great running or mountain biking but under-reads badly on my drop bar bike. I assume it’s either the position of my wrists or that drop bar bikes cut off the blood supply to my arms :#
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    ibr17xvii said:
    This optical device works fine for me, either on upper arm or forearm. Easy setup and instant link to my garmin. I didn’t like the feel of a chest strap.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    secretsam said:

pblakeney said:

It's more a psychological thing. I need to start using my lower lungs more, but the chest strap, whilst not tight, feels or is distracting. It's not hindering me.

Exactly HOW do you use your lower lungs more?
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    dennisn said:

secretsam said:

pblakeney said:

He's special. He has two sets. Upper and lower. Like some weird alien amphibian thing.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    edited January 2022
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    dennisn said:

secretsam said:

pblakeney said:

Bum breathing?

It would be covid safe I think.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    Mad_Malx said:

ibr17xvii said:
    This optical device works fine for me, either on upper arm or forearm. Easy setup and instant link to my garmin. I didn’t like the feel of a chest strap.
    My OH also has one and has been happy with it.