Any cricket lovers on here?

Comments

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,899
    edited January 2022
    A quick thanks to the England batters. At 60odd for 0, I was starting to feel almost hopeful. Fortunately they quickly reverted to type and everything is back to normal.

EDIT: 107-7. That'll do. Eurosport for some skiing instead. Stick a fork in this game. Its done.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    JimD666 said:

A quick thanks to the England batters. At 60odd for 0, I was starting to feel almost hopeful. Fortunately they quickly reverted to type and everything is back to normal.

EDIT: 107-7. That'll do. Eurosport for some skiing instead. Stick a fork in this game. Its done.

I looked at the score at 8am and thought "this could be on" checked just now and saw it was all over!
  • JimD666
    I can forgive (slightly at least) two of todays wickets. Malan's head is probably else where at the moment as his OH has just dropped 6 weeks early, and Root received a ball that just didn't bounce.

The rest? From 68-0 to 124 All Out. Poor. Very, very poor.
  • The two bowled and the caught behind off Green that I saw were just good balls. He was getting it moving brilliantly and late, just the right amount to get an edge.

Once Stokes went while trying to increase the run rate in a T20 innings, I went out to walk the dogs, fully expecting what happened.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    So did anyone come away from that tour with any credit? It's a struggle to offer any names. I guess today's finish was a fitting end to the whole sorry saga.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581

So did anyone come away from that tour with any credit? It's a struggle to offer any names. I guess today's finish was a fitting end to the whole sorry saga.

Wood and Broad?
  • mrb123 said:

Wood and Broad?
    Anderson and Robinson both had good figures

Crawley did better than expected so could be described as coming away with credit

Bairstow.

Other than that Archer, Foakes and Crane
  • How in God's name can players be in the control of the ECB for 7 weeks and put on weight???

Giles, Silverwood and Root should have the decency to stand down
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873

How in God's name can players be in the control of the ECB for 7 weeks and put on weight???

Giles, Silverwood and Root should have the decency to stand down

They were hoping to play 25 days of test cricket, but in reality managed about 12.
    Presumably they sat around feeling sorry for themselves in their semi-quarantined state the rest of the time, ordering room service.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,507
    I find it odd to think that the only reason England didn't win was that the tactics/team selection was wrong. England were not going to win with any team selection.
  • JimD666

I find it odd to think that the only reason England didn't win was that the tactics/team selection was wrong. England were not going to win with any team selection.

Not sure anyone is saying it was the only reason.

I'll stand by my original statement before the first test that you pick your best squad. Leaving out Anderson and Broad wasn't playing the best team.
    That said, the batting was far more of an issue than the bowling. Who could of been picked instead? Honestly no clue. Don't follow the County Champs enough to know who's who.
  • I find it odd to think that the only reason England didn't win was that the tactics/team selection was wrong. England were not going to win with any team selection.

I (and I assume others) think that with better leadership/tactics/selection they would have performed to their abilities and returned home with their pride and dignity intact
  • Someone telling the bowlers to bowl at the stumps might have helped.

We'd still have lost because the batters failed, but would have been more fun.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    Apparently the England Cricket team have approached Novak Djokovic to bat for them as it took Australia two weeks to get him out.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Good start by England women so far. Danni Wyatt going well
  • Tashman
    Biggest opening stand so far for any Ashes innings in 21/22!
  • JimD666
    Pity the optimism only lasted briefly. Rather good batting from the Aussies utterly negated the England bowling attack. It was looking quite good after the first few overs as well. Then it went horribly wrong.
  • Tashman
    I missed the Aussie innings cos work. Was quite surprised to see it so comfortable
  • JimD666
    So we're rubbish at test cricket because of the white ball game. Wonder what the excuse will be today....
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Bad day for cricket lovers, particularly Aussies with the death of Shane Warne and Rodney Marsh. Warne was a bit of a shock, only a few years older than me.
  • Someone say...cricket....???..???

Warnie was proof positive that a pack of Benson & Hedges and a can of baked beans is indeed the breakfeast of champions.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    Actually he lived on lasagne sandwiches.
  • I

Actually he lived on lasagne sandwiches.

I heard a 'report' that his last meal was Vegemite on toast.
  • JimD666
    edited March 2022
    It's nice to see in these turbulent times that there is at least once constant thing we can rely on. England are still a bit poo at cricket :(
  • Tashman
    SNAFU!
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,123
    Not sure I've seen bowling figures of 5 overs, 5 maidens, 2 wickets before.

England batting collapse pretty spectacular today.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
    edited March 2022

Not sure I've seen bowling figures of 5 overs, 5 maidens, 2 wickets before.

England batting collapse pretty spectacular today.

Most worrying of all is that the last 3 wickets have already out scored the first 7.

Pakistan managed a far more impressive collapse yesterday.
    After cruising along at 248 for 3, they lost their last 7 wickets for just 20.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • JimD666
    For an England collapse it's starting to look semi-respectable....
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,507
    England may not have solved the bowling problem, but they found an opening batsman here.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    What a crazy day