Very thin cassette shims/spacers

emanresu
emanresu Posts: 320
edited January 2022 in Workshop
I have two wheelsets for a gravel bike and as I regularly swap wheelsets, and wanted to make life easy for myself, they have their own cassette and discs permanently fitted.

Frustratingly the cassettes don't line up and I end up having to index the gears every time I swap wheelsets and whilst it only takes five minutes it about doubles the length of time it takes to swap wheelsets.

My googlefoo isn't helping but is it possible to buy very thin shims to move a cassette outwards on a hub? A link, if you have one, would be fantastic.

Thanks

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wheels-Manufacturing-1-5mm-Cassette-Spacer/dp/B001GSON7Q

if you type in 1mm there will be liads as well

or just ask your lbs - its the sort of thing they have boxes of from old cassette changes
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • emanresu
    Both cassettes are 11 speed. I was looking for something thinner than 1mm, it's only just out
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    emanresu said:

Both cassettes are 11 speed. I was looking for something thinner than 1mm, it's only just out

You could get some 400grit wet & dry paper on a flat surface and make it thinner. It’s usually quite soft metal.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• wobblebob
    wobblebob Posts: 73
    edited January 2022
    I had a similar problem with my TT wheels where one disc was rubbing on the caliper when the other was fine. I got some 35x45x0.1mm and 0.2mm shim washers from these people https://www.thebearingcompany.co.uk/ if you know what size you need then you will probably find something that will do the job
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Cut the label panel out of 4 pint milk bottles to suit. Theyre about 0.25mm- 0.35mm Once you find a size that works then order as per wobblebob ^^
  • emanresu
    :) Thanks