Seemingly trivial things that cheer you up

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Isle of Wight is, can't work out the status of the Scillies though.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,591
    Wonder if the GB one counts the Shetlands?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney
    Surely that would pull the "centre" further north than in the previous post?
    Just my guess from looking at the map.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    The artwork of the young Makenzy Beard, just 14, took up painting during lockdown and her work is outstanding.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195

^ plus the Isle of Wight and the Scillies?

Both of the above are part of the UK. The IoM isn't within the same political boundary. It is self-governing.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,371
    . . . when the footy commentators on a Sunday evening match welcome listeners to the World Service.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508

. . . when the footy commentators on a Sunday evening match welcome listeners to the World Service.

Brings back memories of short-wave radios.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566

Just as an aside one commentator over the weekend (can't recall the game) kept pronouncing Covid as in Coventry. I have always pronounced as in Co-op.

It didn't cheer me up though!
  • womack said:

The artwork of the young Makenzy Beard, just 14, took up painting during lockdown and her work is outstanding.

I wanted to buy the one which was showcased at the National Gallery (or Tate or wherever it was). Her work is already commanding around £6k per painting.

The attention to detail is absolutely sublime.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    pblakeney said:

Surely that would pull the "centre" further north than in the previous post?
    Just my guess from looking at the map.

I don't know if that was calculated by mass.
    There was a Ugandan tourist who hired a car and went North. There was the word 'North' all the way to Ullapool. So he sat down and worked out where this 'North' actually began and he worked out that the line is just above Cairnryan.
    This means, I am in the South despite being in Jockland.

[Quite a funny account told on R4 by this gentleman some time ago]
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pblakeney
    edited January 2022
    Things need to be made clear on this subject. United Kingdom, British Isles, British mainland. The constituent parts with islands or without.
    No wonder the Yanks get confused. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,230
    Mother in law bought me some lovely coffee and some really nice espresso cups to go with it, and I'm *thoroughly* enjoying my mid-afternoon espressos.

Top stuff.
  • Just discovered Jazz Emu, and he very funny.

https://youtu.be/dmss2dJ__cI
  • Pross
    My dog's reaction to the news item with the guide dog puppies.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Pross
    The programme on BBC earlier showing the process of making Dr Martens. Good to see good quality craftsmanship and machinery still being used that has been around for decades. Also nice to see so many youngish people doing the work in an 'old-fashioned' trade.
  • TheBigBean
    Finally done my tax return and I'm owed money. Decent effort that for someone self-employed.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    1) Sending out a pile of invoices for the term by the press of one button on GMass. I know it's only a mail merge thing that links Gmail & Google Sheets, and it took me a little while to set up in the first place, but it's still very satisfying.

2) Finding out the the EasyJet flights to Lyon work perfectly for my summer half term, and booking them, complete with hire car for 10 days, for under £250. And it'll make me even happier if the two friends who are hoping to come too can get the time off from work. Making up for lost time over the past two years...
  • To point 2 and keeping on topic, I'd say just booking flights.
  • Pross
    Coming across this little fella on my walk today. First slow worm I've seen in years, nearly trod on it as it was in the middle of the track. I thought it was a piece of hosing at first then realised what it was and thought it was dead as it has obviously been caught by something and lost the end of its tail. Moved it to the side of the track where it wouldn't get squashed and left it to decide if it wanted to get into cover or stay out in the very weak sun.

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,230
    edited January 2022
    Every week I walk past a barber’s early in the morning. I cross the road in front of it so for a moment it looks like I’m going in. Usually they’re open but no one is in.

They always look and wave when they see me approach. I reciprocate and wave my hat at them and point to my bald head 🧑🏻‍🦲.

👍🏻
  • rjsterry
    Pross said:

Coming across this little fella on my walk today. First slow worm I've seen in years, nearly trod on it as it was in the middle of the track. I thought it was a piece of hosing at first then realised what it was and thought it was dead as it has obviously been caught by something and lost the end of its tail. Moved it to the side of the track where it wouldn't get squashed and left it to decide if it wanted to get into cover or stay out in the very weak sun.

We have a colony of them living in our compost heap. They're really quite beautiful but smell awful.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Pross
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

We have a colony of them living in our compost heap. They're really quite beautiful but smell awful.
    Make sure they leave before you ever make a planning application!
  • TheBigBean
    edited January 2022
    I'm going to the pub. It's likely to be rammed, but it's an old favourite. First time in a while.
  • rjsterry
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Make sure they leave before you ever make a planning application!
    Ha.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• pblakeney
    "Spam" gets deleted much quicker than "abuse".
    Just saying.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Is Womack one of those men who are not gay but had sex with a man who was.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Just saying.

Yeah but abuse is more likely to get a ban I assume.

Sums up social media in general though, try using your personal account on Facebook to do something business related and it will be deleted in no time but use it to praise terrorism, troll people to suicide and you'll probably be OK.

The quickest way to get banned on here is probably to try to sell something outside the classifieds section.
  • pblakeney
    Pross said:

pblakeney said:

Just saying.

Yeah but abuse is more likely to get a ban I assume.

You can do both.
    Veronese68 wrote: