2022 Pre Season Chat Thread

All the other stuff that's not transfers or kit or worth it's own thread

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    Pog talking about doing MSR & Flanders.

Hubba
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Seriously?

That’s be amaaazing
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,311
    Don't think he can do anything in MSR. He isn't a good enough descender to attack early on the Poggio and stay away. Winning Flanders seems unlikely, but is definitely interesting.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • tailwindhome
    m.r.m. said:

Don't think he can do anything in MSR. He isn't a good enough descender to attack early on the Poggio and stay away. Winning Flanders seems unlikely, but is definitely interesting.

I had forgotten he was there last year. Finished in the group 2" back in 12th
  • rick_chasey
    Lad has a massive engine can definitely see him being there or there abouts in Flanders
  • tailwindhome

Seriously?

That’s be amaaazing

Flanders as prep for Tour cobbles ... but who knows

TDF, Vuelta, Lombardy, LBL, Tirreno and you'd assume worlds too
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    Is the season due to be back to normal this year?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Pross said:

Is the season due to be back to normal this year?

Europe wise, mostly I think.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    Strade Bianchi is the day before Tirreno Adriatico starts, so is likely to have a slightly slimmer field. WvA isn't riding it. MvdP might be a bit undercooked due to his back problems. Bernal could be interested
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • rick_chasey
    MvdP back problems aren't going away apparently, so it seems likely he'll be undercooked going into the season.
  • rick_chasey
    Hirschi having hip surgery so is out of action till at least March.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    Looking forward to Roubaix being back in the proper slot.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    People are assuming MvdP is going to be riding the start of the season; if he has to miss the spring classics then so be it. I can't help but think riding the Road Worlds & P-R wasn't the brightest idea.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • rick_chasey
    andyrac said:

People are assuming MvdP is going to be riding the start of the season; if he has to miss the spring classics then so be it. I can't help but think riding the Road Worlds & P-R wasn't the brightest idea.

Almost won PR so that seems a bit unfair.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    He missed the MTB Worlds at the end of August, and did a race or two before those two races. He then had a rest before prepping for the CX season - then had a training crash, did one race, and retired from another with back problems.

I always got the feeling he was rushed back.....maybe they've learned their lesson, and he'll have a proper rest, and be back when he's ready, not when they want him back.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • rick_chasey
    That’s what they’ve said “no training until there is zero pain”
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

Lad has a massive engine can definitely see him being there or there abouts in Flanders

I know a lot is made of positioning at Flanders, with good reason I think, but it's hard to see who on the UAE roster can actually support Pogacar in that race, with the exception of Trentin. Laengen possibly, as I assume he did that role for Kristoff, but then you are scratching around looking for sacrificial lambs.

• rick_chasey
    Trentin is fairly major tbf
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,503
    He's an underdog who will just be able to follow the wheels.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    Jumbo core team for the Tour looks pretty savage. Vingegaard will be protected this time though. Add another tractor and a climber?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    According to a Cycling News headline Dennis joined Jumbo Visma because Ineos are copying them anyway. I haven't read the story so I don't know how misleading the headline is or isn't.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    edited January 2022
    gsk82 said:

According to a Cycling News headline Dennis joined Jumbo Visma because Ineos are copying them anyway. I haven't read the story so I don't know how misleading the headline is or isn't.

That's pretty much what he said. He didn't really elaborate
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Dumoulin still insisting he wants to ride the Giro GC
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439

Dumoulin still insisting he wants to ride the Giro GC

Is anyone else bothering? The vuelta is going to be stacked this year.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,607
    edited January 2022
    Ffs, just had a post held for approval, again, because I used Tom P's surname?

Anyway, Tom P said on an episode of GTCC podcast that he would do the Giro this year. Having used La Vuelta last year as a 3 week GT taster?

....see if this one gets blocked... edit, no it didn't. Thought the babyish censorbot had been tuned to accept his surname.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    andyp said:

I know a lot is made of positioning at Flanders, with good reason I think, but it's hard to see who on the UAE roster can actually support Pogacar in that race, with the exception of Trentin. Laengen possibly, as I assume he did that role for Kristoff, but then you are scratching around looking for sacrificial lambs.

I completely missed that Kristoff had left.
  • Pross
    gsk82 said:

So they're copying the team that copied them?
  • Pross

Jumbo core team for the Tour looks pretty savage. Vingegaard will be protected this time though. Add another tractor and a climber?

It seems a bit early to be talking about Tour squads.
  • Pross said:

It seems a bit early to be talking about Tour squads.
    It's too early for Jumbo to even be talking about training: camp cancelled, as they have a Covid outbreak.

As for Dennis's reason for leaving Ineos: after all these years of taking much stick for bringing "unnecessary" innovation to the sport, all they were doing was copying the Dutch.
    Who would have thought?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    So he left because Ineos were copying Jumbo who were copying Sky.