Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    daniel_b said:

daniel_b said:

And a pro thermal mid long sleeve jersey from Tredz, in Chartreuse nonetheless - circa £92.

This arrived - it's beautiful fabric, silky smooth, not too thick, torso fit and arm fit (Closeness wise) is perfect, but the arms are too damned long - it either covers my hands, or I have wrinkles of fabric all the way up my arm - I have several Castelli jackets and long sleeve jerseys, and none have this issue, really odd, so back it goes :/

EDIT: In hindsight the above picture gives a clue, but the fit for me is worse than that.
    Sounds ideal for me, I struggle, especially with base layers to get them to meet my wrists! Shame I'm too fat and tight to order this :)
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited January 2022
    The Castelli Pave jerseys arrived, and they are really nice, little bit, ummm, tight shall we say currently, but I have my 'winter coat' on, so they will be fine come the warmer months - nice finish, really nice design, and quite unusually look better in first person than in the press pictures.

Also ordered some Rapha pro race winter bib shorts - virtually half price @ £97.
    https://rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens-pro-team-winter-bib-shorts/product/SBP01XXSBC
    Oh and the Rapha jerseys I ordered at £84 have now dropped to £70 :D

I've re-ordered and asked to cancel the original order, but worst case I'll just send 3 back in one package.

Also succumbed and ordered a pair of the Teal winter bib tights for £125 - if you can stomach the burgundy colour, they are even cheaper at £105 - I could not.
    https://rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/mens-pro-team-winter-tights-with-pad-ii/product/PWT04XXBUB

This arrived today, picked it up as I sent the chartreuse one back, and it fits really nicely - more relaxed around the body admittedly, but the sleeve length is spot on.

Wouldn't have paid £100 for it, but for £52 I feel it is good value for money.

Today the Scott glasses arrived, they are awesome, phenomenally light, great fit, and huge field of vision - also pair up with the cadence helmet perfectly as you would hope/expect!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Castelli nano flex 3G arm warmers. Too tight to spend £40 on them in spring so got them while they’re a bit cheaper.

Selle Italia SMP pro wasn’t right for me. Not sure why I bought it really (Damn you Mark Beaumont!) Should have followed sizing advice on that one. Not terribly uncomfortable but unnecessarily bulky for someone with a skinny bottom.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    daniel_b said:

A fair amount, though I do tend to move stuff on when I get bored with it, but I gather I don't have nearly as much as @itboffin :D

poidh
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    The dale topstone 5 is by far the nosiest bike i own everything rattles and clicks which is such a shame because it looks and rides amazingly.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daniel_b
    itboffin said:

The dale topstone 5 is by far the nosiest bike i own everything rattles and clicks which is such a shame because it looks and rides amazingly.

That's frustrating.

Badly assembled by the shop, or design flaws?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,551
    itboffin said:

Hmm. I've not considered buying an actual new bike (as in, brand new) in quite some years as I build my own up from bits, but the Topstone is one of the very few I've seen that tempts me. Saw one of the carbon jobbies being set up for a buyer in the LBS a while back and it looked very good indeed.

Fixable, @itboffin ? I can't stand rattly squeaky clicky things on a bike...
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • itboffin
    It’s a great bike for sure but I think the cannondale BB and cranks are the source of the problems, working my way through fixes, next up those two parts being swapped for Shimano
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    Failing that SRAM AXS 1x is the foolproof answer
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    Interestingly the brand new Synapse is coming with a threaded bottom bracket - it also seems fairly expensive (As a complete bike) - £3200 for 105 iirc.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    daniel_b said:

Interestingly the brand new Synapse is coming with a threaded bottom bracket - it also seems fairly expensive (As a complete bike) - £3200 for 105 iirc.

Aside from the added electronics, the brand says simplicity was a key aim. The new bike has tube-in-tube cable routing, a BSA threaded BB and a standard seatpost clamp.
    https://www.bikeradar.com/news/2022-cannondale-synapse/

Yeah, I saw that and was surprised it was threaded.
  • seanoconn
    daniel_b said:

Comes with smart sense. Integrated lights but no radar unlike the top end models.

@daniel_b I’m relying on your buyers adroitness to find out if the radar can be bought separately?
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    seanoconn said:

daniel_b said:

Comes with smart sense. Integrated lights but no radar unlike the top end models.

@daniel_b I’m relying on your buyers adroitness to find out if the radar can be bought separately?
    As far as I could tell it's one Cannondale have commissioned specifically, but it's built by Garmin for them, or at least it uses the guts from the 515/510.

Downside to it is that you can't use a saddlebag.

This is the standard Garmin radar sans light:
    https://halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-lights/garmin-varia-rearview-radar-rvr315-438638.html

Not many weeks ago the 515 (light and radar) could be had for not much more than that.

*Adroitness is an under utilised word.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    Thanks daniel.

https://youtu.be/apAegXwjeIw

Maybe get more for your money buying a bike without the integrated system but cannondale are sure to be onto a winner with this design. No saddle bag but top tube bag option.

Still yet to use my C2W voucher, tempting.
  • daniel_b
    @seanoconn you're not the chap who had a C2W voucher, but then the LBS changed position to say it could not be topped up, and HR were unable to stop it?

If so, I can see why you might be wanting to utilise it sooner than later.

Rapha recap:

Pro Team bib tights (£125) in a rather fetching Teal arrived today - looks like only XS left now, I went for my usual small.
    Fabric, feel, fit and pad are stunning - quite a mission to get them on, as no ankle zips but more so the windproof fabric is nothing like as stretchy as the usual fare you might encounter - it's really a case of shuffling your way into it, to preserve the seams, but once on, it has a nice high front, legs were the perfect length for me, and the pad sits nicely, so definitely a keeper.
    Likely to get a run out this Sunday.

In a similar vein the Pro team thermal bib shorts for £97 fit identically, not quite as much of a mission to get them on, roll up the grippers, and life becomes significantly easier - again fit and quality are sublime.

The midweight jerseys (£70) also arrived - quality and fit are excellent, but can't yet decided between the XS and Small, so will take advantage of the 90 day returns, and try them on before that elapses. Carrying a bit more timber at the moment, but suspect I will be around 2-3kg lighter before the 90 days are up, and that's likely the kind of time of year I would be wearing it - my instinct says XS, as I like a snug fit, but will definitely keep one.

Interestingly although the sale is technically over, a lot of items still seem to be at the same price.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    These days I find that by the time I’ve wormed my way into my Assos windblock tights I’m too knackered to go for a ride. :D
  • seanoconn
    daniel_b said:

@seanoconn you're not the chap who had a C2W voucher, but then the LBS changed position to say it could not be topped up, and HR were unable to stop it?

If so, I can see why you might be wanting to utilise it sooner than later.

Rapha recap:

Pro Team bib tights (£125) in a rather fetching Teal arrived today - looks like only XS left now, I went for my usual small.
    Fabric, feel, fit and pad are stunning - quite a mission to get them on, as no ankle zips but more so the windproof fabric is nothing like as stretchy as the usual fare you might encounter - it's really a case of shuffling your way into it, to preserve the seams, but once on, it has a nice high front, legs were the perfect length for me, and the pad sits nicely, so definitely a keeper.
    Likely to get a run out this Sunday.

In a similar vein the Pro team thermal bib shorts for £97 fit identically, not quite as much of a mission to get them on, roll up the grippers, and life becomes significantly easier - again fit and quality are sublime.

The midweight jerseys (£70) also arrived - quality and fit are excellent, but can't yet decided between the XS and Small, so will take advantage of the 90 day returns, and try them on before that elapses. Carrying a bit more timber at the moment, but suspect I will be around 2-3kg lighter before the 90 days are up, and that's likely the kind of time of year I would be wearing it - my instinct says XS, as I like a snug fit, but will definitely keep one.

Interestingly although the sale is technically over, a lot of items still seem to be at the same price.

Nope not that chap. I’m ‘the’ seanoconn of Bottom Bracket fame? Forum legend? I’m surprised you haven’t heard of me 😕
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    webboo said:

These days I find that by the time I’ve wormed my way into my Assos windblock tights I’m too knackered to go for a ride. :D

Glad it's not just me - I generally refer to it as sumo-ing ones way into normal shorts - the leg movements are along the same lines for me anyway :)
    seanoconn said:

Nope not that chap. I’m ‘the’ seanoconn of Bottom Bracket fame? Forum legend? I’m surprised you haven’t heard of me 😕

lol, apologies, I have seen your posts many times, but just recalled the person with a voucher who was no longer able to obtain a bike - thinking about it, I did ask him whether he had managed to achieve a satisfactory outcome, but I don't think any reply was forthcoming.

I put 2 and 2 together, and made 22.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    webboo said:

Sounds like me too, and then overshoes on top!
  • webboo
    I’ve given up on a pair of heavy duty Endura over shoes, I got cramp in my abs putting them on and taking them off. I bought a thinner pair of DHB ones, my feet aren’t as warm but I don’t have to spend 10 minutes stretching to get rid of the cramp when I wear them.
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    Bought the Castelli Arenberg Gel 2 mitts from CRC for circa half price.

For the first time in a few years, they now offer Hermes (print label in shop) free returns, as opposed to just Asda.

Have not checked to see if Wiggle have the same option, but likely.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    Seen other people wearing Attaquer but never tried any, Sigma have a sale on, so have tried a couple of items - both midweight, shorts and jerseys.

https://sigmasports.com/item/Attaquer/A-Line-Bib-Short/SA96

https://sigmasports.com/item/Attaquer/A-Line-Short-Sleeve-Jersey/SA4Y

And a black one of the above.

Will compare and contrast with the Rapha jerseys.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Pretty uninteresting, and way more pricey then they used to be - I recall when they used to be £7/8 a pop, now £14 (in the uk) is the best price available :#

2 of the above, to allow fitment of carbon railed saddles to Ritchey seatposts.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    More green things for comparison - not bought any Santini in well over 10 years, so be interested to see how it has developed. I don't recall the fit or quality to be anything to write home about.

I bought these from Tredz, but they were as cheap or cheaper on the Santini UK site, AND they have over 8% cashback on TCB which was unexpected.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    10 speed Dura Ace cassette for the Cadex. £50 to my door, so a hit but considering today's prices, not too bad.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • webboo
    Just received my replacement Rapha winter core jacket. The missus got me a medium as Christmas present, however it was at least 2 inches too small for my 40 inch chest.
    The large was perfect chest and waist wise but the sleeves were about 4 inches too long and I couldn’t reach in to the pockets while wearing it. This was despite it being the right length torso wise.
    I guess if your arms are long enough for sleeves you can reach into the pockets. :D
    Back it goes.
  • daniel_b
    edited January 2022
    That's irritating webboo - how it goes on occasion with some items of clothing :|
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited February 2022
    The Attaquer stuff arrived - surprised at how shiny the shorts were - fit was good, but the material was just bizarre to my mind, can't see how it would give you grip on the saddle.
    Reminded me of some nasty Rivelo Honister shorts I tried way back when, and even worse a pair of dhb (Before they became really good) shorts (not bib) that cost £18 back in the day.
    They were an immediate decision to return.

The jersey was ok, fit was pretty good, pockets seemed a tad high, but not sure why they insist on some of the detailing around the garment, little plastic loops and what have you, I think I would find them more of an irriation, so after seeing the Santini kit below, these were definitely going back too - still good to try.
    daniel_b said:

More green things for comparison - not bought any Santini in well over 10 years, so be interested to see how it has developed. I don't recall the fit or quality to be anything to write home about.

I bought these from Tredz, but they were as cheap or cheaper on the Santini UK site, AND they have over 8% cashback on TCB which was unexpected.

These have arrived - my previous experience with Santini can be totally wiped, their current kit, fit, cut and material wise, is just as good as the main players I would say.

Keeping both jerseys, and the mitts, lovely fit, sleeves are the right length, not too gappy anywhere, feels proper quality.

Mitts are a mission to get on, but once on they fit, unsurprisingly like a fingerless glove, loads of padding too, so should be good for off road excursions.

So in summary, if you are after some new kit, do give Santini a look.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    Liking the colour of the second jersey daniel, super slim fit?
  • daniel_b
    edited February 2022
    seanoconn said:

Liking the colour of the second jersey daniel, super slim fit?

@seanoconn the second one is marketed as an MTB/Gravel jersey apparently, however it is a slim fit, probably just smidge less fitted than the one above.

What other brands do you tend to wear?
    I went for small, and I'd say it fits ever so slightly closer than Rapha and Castelli, and probably on a par with Ale - if that helps at all.
    If it doesn't, let me know, and I can measure the pit to pit, and collar to hem on it for you.

Tredz are now up to full price, however direct from Santini is marginally cheaper - apparently if you are a new customer you should also get a 10% discount on your first order after signing up, and they have free delivery over £75.
    And I'm fairly sure it is free returns, so maybe order two sizes, and return the one that doesn't fit.
    They are on TCB at 7.8% I think it was, though you would probably lose that if you made a partial return.

https://santinisms.co.uk/mens-c1/jerseys-c7/santini-gravel-mens-short-sleeve-jersey-p441#attribute%5B4%5D=107

They have quite a range on sale!
    https://santinisms.co.uk/sale/short-sleeve-jerseys-t95
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18