TV freeview etc options

So, TV options.

I currently have a 10 year old TV and Virgin Media.

I am about to buy a new TV as mine is getting old and it needs repairs which cost more than the set is worth and i have been hankering after a nice new tv for years.

I have noticed that about 60-70% of the time we're just watching stuff via apps, be it Iplayer or netflix or whatever, so I'm looking into ditching Virgin and going with freeview (built into the new tv) and then using the savings to buy for subbies like eurosport, netflix etc.

The wrinkle is the former occupants of this house had no understanding of how to lay a house out so the aerial cables come out in incredibly inconvenient places (we don't have a satellite). It would be serious faff to get the cable to where the TV is.

This was not a problem with Virgin as the TV comes in via the internet cable, which is conveniently placed.

Is there a way to watch live, as it is on air, TV for all the free-to-air channels, via the internet? Or do you need an aerial or satellite? I know you can stream live on each individual channel app but that makes flicking a nightmare.

Comments

• TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    I suspect you will need a cable of some sort. It wouldn't cost that much to get someone to bring a cable into your house exactly where you want.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    No option that I know - and we have the same problem. We have basically one room on the ground floor and no aerial at all down there.

We can get just about enough signal from one of the little panel aerials with a booster that plugs into the TV's USB. We need to have the panel quite a way from the TV where we live, but in civilization I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a decent enough signal for the main channels with it fairly close to the TV (within reason).

Something like this.... https://www.geargeek.co.uk/hd-indoor-antenna-aerial-50-mile-amplified/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjqbjl-2m9QIVTe7tCh1DvQNrEAQYBCABEgKhnPD_BwE

FWIW, I've figured out that smart TV functionality ages badly and something like a Firestick will be better than what you can get on the TV sooner or later. Manufacturers also seem to use the most useless processors they can possibly find for Smart TVs as well, so they are very slow to boot up and load up different apps, etc.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    I have a similar problem - when I removed the carpets downstairs, I had nowhere to run the aerial cable which was previously under the carpet. I almost never watch live TV but a few weeks ago my wife wanted to watch tennis or something and it wasn't streaming live on the app.
    I didn't manage to find any sensible alternative so the plan is now to break into the (unused) chimney in the attic and drop a cable down and bring it out through the old fireplace in the living room.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    edited January 2022
    Got it. So maybe stick with Virgin for now then.

It seems remarkable in 2022 that you can't get freeview over the internet.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596
    Do some research on the TV of your choice.
    Most smart TVs (and certainly my Sony) come with a built-in app for live Freeview.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    edited January 2022
    pblakeney said:

Most smart TVs (and certainly my Sony) come with a built-in app for live Freeview.

Is it an app? Or just a short cut to the tuner?
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

An app.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/tvplayer-watch-live-and-catchup-tv/9n20vfs0rh1p?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    Look into Freesat.
  • rick_chasey

Look into Freesat.

I thought that required a satellite?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612

Look into Freesat.

It does.
  • rick_chasey
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

An app.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/p/tvplayer-watch-live-and-catchup-tv/9n20vfs0rh1p?activetab=pivot:overviewtab
    Can this be downloaded straight onto a smart TV?
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193

Look into Freesat.

Yeah sorry, I was making assumptions.
  • rick_chasey

Look into Freesat.

Yeah sorry, I was making assumptions.
    I know you loves your satellite service providers ;)
  • First.Aspect
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

An app.

I assume it's a bit slower to change channels than the actual radio signal, but that could be really useful, thanks.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Would it really be a faff to have a cable routed in your house?

I'm presuming it's all floorboards?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

An app.

Can this be downloaded straight onto a smart TV?
    Mine came pre-loaded. I'd guess anything with Android.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

An app.

I assume it's a bit slower to change channels than the actual radio signal, but that could be really useful, thanks.
    Not slow enough to be of any consequence on mine.
    Loads up the schedule equally quick/slow on either system.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Bear in mind that catchup TV on Virgin doesn't have all the adverts that the free versions of All4, ITVhub, UKTV play etc have. They are infuriating if you are used to the ad free versions.
  • rick_chasey
    I'm ok with ads if I'm not paying for the channel.
  • I'm ok with ads if I'm not paying for the channel.

I thought the same until I tried to watch Fargo on the free All4.
  • pblakeney
    edited January 2022
    Edit:- Mea culpa!

I just pulled the cable and while I could see the schedule nothing would play.
    Seems you need a cable to play from their streaming service. This is indeed nuts.

That said, anything you can view on a phone is available through the internet.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean

Bear in mind that catchup TV on Virgin doesn't have all the adverts that the free versions of All4, ITVhub, UKTV play etc have. They are infuriating if you are used to the ad free versions.

It may sound like an idiotic question, but how do I take advantage of that on my Virgin box and does it work in their app? I found it really easy with Sky, but whenever I search for something with Virgin it provides a variety of options which include launching other apps and buying it from Virgin. Sometimes it has an "included in your subscription" option, but it all seems to be overcomplicated.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    I've got this same issue on our bedroom TV. I can watch the live TV I want but have to do it through a series of apps such as iPlayer and ITV hub which becomes a pain. Might see if I can get that TV Player app to install.
  • TheBigBean
    edited January 2022
    oxoman said:

RC, Sky do sky Q without a dish. Not sure how it works but I've posted a link to a report on it by uswitch. We currently have the sky Q with a 2nd.box in the lads room which he can watch anything on sky or Netflix amazon etc assuming he pays.
    https://www.uswitch.com/tv/guides/do-you-need-a-satellite-dish-for-sky/

That's really weird. They announced the intention a few years ago as they realised there were a lot of people who couldn't install dishes. They trialled a new box in Italy which worked over the internet. Why do they think everyone suddenly wants a new TV as well as content? It actually annoys me. There are plenty of people providing reliable, but illegal IPTV services all over the world, it is not that hard.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    When do we discuss when it's useful to swap from 625 to 405 lines?
  • rick_chasey
    Yeah you can get NowTV too, but that's £15 subbie a month, on top of the other subbies I'd want.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121

Is that the page number on Ceefax?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    thistle_ said:

Is that the page number on Ceefax?

We're talking pre-Ceefax...
  • Bear in mind that catchup TV on Virgin doesn't have all the adverts that the free versions of All4, ITVhub, UKTV play etc have. They are infuriating if you are used to the ad free versions.

It may sound like an idiotic question, but how do I take advantage of that on my Virgin box and does it work in their app? I found it really easy with Sky, but whenever I search for something with Virgin it provides a variety of options which include launching other apps and buying it from Virgin. Sometimes it has an "included in your subscription" option, but it all seems to be overcomplicated.
    There's about a thousand ways to it but if you only want things that are in your package...

Go back on the guide and find the show, with a C symbol.

And choose "watch from catchup"

Or in catchup go to channels and find shows by date or search in there.

You don't get the full All4 or itv hub on there, only catchup stuff. So Fargo or Derry Girls isn't on there, but the masked singer is.

• pblakeney

You don't get the full All4 or itv hub on there, only catchup stuff. So Fargo or Derry Girls isn't on there, but the masked singer is.

In other words, the stuff you actually want to watch isn't there.
    They know what they are doing. Cough up or suffer.
    Veronese68 wrote: