thursday cooking sausages with fast neutrons

'ning

could do with dry roads as temperature nudging the mid teens, though gloomygrey

shorts, jersey, gilet and warmers at the ready, ride, cafes, token wfh, bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Gentle run with hounds but away from people as I feel like crap and I’m awaiting a pcr result, lft still negative but I’m not hopeful
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    tlw1 said:

Gentle run with hounds but away from people as I feel like censored and I’m awaiting a pcr result, lft still negative but I’m not hopeful

Apart from having no Liver, you're fit and healthy and you'll bounce back like a Lion and with a bit of progressive training, be ready to take on a few monument sportives, an Iron man and the Marathon des Sables like nothing ever held you back as you hit the stratospheric heights of invincibility...

Sorry, got carried away there.
    Erm, try gargling paraffin.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    Sheesh it's wet.
    sungod said:

...token wfh...

At least your honest.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Usual lie in, now having having coffee and crumpets (bread dying variety unfortunately). Bit of admin then headed back to sunny Beckenham to drop in on a few people where we used to live and have a long overdue eye test. Will get supplies for New Year's Eve on the way back.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    pinno said:

tlw1 said:

Gentle run with hounds but away from people as I feel like censored and I’m awaiting a pcr result, lft still negative but I’m not hopeful

Apart from having no Liver, you're fit and healthy and you'll bounce back like a Lion and with a bit of progressive training, be ready to take on a few monument sportives, an Iron man and the Marathon des Sables like nothing ever held you back as you hit the stratospheric heights of invincibility...

gargling paraffin?

nah - just wankitout
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2021
    As an aside - disc cleaning: no iso alcohol in the shed, so turps? or just nip to Edwyn's and get some bog stock car disc cleaner?
  • pinno
    MattFalle said:

As an aside - disc cleaning: no iso alcohol in the shed, so turps? or just nip to Edwyn's and get some bog stock car disc cleaner?

Brake cleaner - it's the dog's danglies. Aerosol form will get into stuff you don't want it to so liquid form @£13-15 plus VAT.
    TLW could gargle that too. He has exclusive access to lots of that stuff.
  • MattFalle
    Coolio - grazie.

just servicing a mate's d*sc bike ready to be used as a winter trainer - new pads going on so good clean of discs at the same time won't hurt.
  • Stevo_666
    I usually clean my discs by pulling the brake levers :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

I usually clean my discs by pulling the brake levers :)

Yes, that's quite a good technique for removing rust.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    pinno said:

tlw1 said:

😂 don’t really fancy MDS apart from the last day when the helicopter comes along at the start with massive speakers blasting out ac-dc
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Morning folks,
    Slow start was enjoyed, about to head over to the old dear's for sorting of much junk. Might go for a walk and a pint later.
    MF, don't use car brake cleaner on bicycle discs. It can make them squeal like a banshee and you might end up replacing the pads. Experience has taught me to avoid using anything on braking surfaces other than water unless absolutely necessary.
    Hope test is clear TLW, I'm pretty sure we're all going to get it at some point now.
  • MattFalle

Hope test is clear TLW, I'm pretty sure we're all going to get it at some point now.

not me. i'm fuckingbulletproof

• MattFalle

Morning folks,
    Slow start was enjoyed, about to head over to the old dear's for sorting of much junk. Might go for a walk and a pint later.
    MF, don't use car brake cleaner on bicycle discs. It can make them squeal like a banshee and you might end up replacing the pads. Experience has taught me to avoid using anything on braking surfaces other than water unless absolutely necessary.

Grazie V - much appreciated.

What do you recommend?
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Prynhawn da.

Literally cooking sausages at the mo so good, relevant thread title.

Not done much this morning, just a bit of tidying and putting the shopping away. Bin men came which is good. Mrs GTi did her day 6 ltf and it was negative so she did another one to make sure. That was also negative so if tomorrow’s follows suit then she can have her normal New Year’s Day celebration. My dear old ma is still in hospital and not heard if they know what’s wrong with her yet. Spoke to her a couple of days ago - mobile reception in Bodelwyddan is awful so it’s almost impossible to call. She’s fed up. Kids continue to play video games. I’ll go for at least a walk later this afternoon, maybe try for a bit of a run/walk as it’s been ages so will need to start slowly again.
  • MattFalle
    johngti said:

Prynhawn da.

Not done much this morning, just a bit of tidying and putting the shopping away. Bin men came which is good. Mrs GTi did her day 6 ltf and it was negative so she did another one to make sure. That was also negative so if tomorrow’s follows suit then she can have her normal New Year’s Day celebration. My dear old ma is still in hospital and not heard if they know what’s wrong with her yet. Spoke to her a couple of days ago - mobile reception in Bodelwyddan is awful so it’s almost impossible to call. She’s fed up. Kids continue to play video games. I’ll go for at least a walk later this afternoon, maybe try for a bit of a run/walk as it’s been ages so will need to start slowly again.

Mobile signal there? Nah.

They still use tin cans and string.
  • pinno
    edited December 2021
    MattFalle said:

johngti said:

Prynhawn da.

That's funny, every time I go to Wales, they stand in their gardens wearing head bands and pinny's/dungarees whilst shouting at each other very loudly.
  • Stevo_666
    edited December 2021
    johngti said:

Prynhawn da.

I'm joining you on the starting slowly front Mr. GTI. Did a massive 12 mins on the exercise bike yesterday and will step it io to a heroic 15 mins this evening and see if it hurts later. If all goes well I might actually go out on a real bike in the New Year :o

• MattFalle
    pinno said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

Prynhawn da.

That's funny, every time I go to Wales, they stand in their gardens wearing head bands and pinny's/dungarees whilst shouting at each other very loudly.
    Sounds like Newport
  • veronese68
    MattFalle said:

Morning folks,

What do you recommend?
    Not cleaning them. Why do you think you should? If cleaning the bike either cover the calipers or remove the pads. A little bit of soapy water won't harm the discs, just rinse thoroughly.
  • Stevo_666
    Looks like I'm an expert in these things :p
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Morning folks,

What do you recommend?
    Not cleaning them. Why do you think you should? If cleaning the bike either cover the calipers or remove the pads. A little bit of soapy water won't harm the discs, just rinse thoroughly.
    just wanted to make sure there was no shiteon there to contaminate new pads and give them squeaky brake syndrome.

will leave as is - grazie!
  • veronese68
    More likely to get squeaky brake if you mess. Are they squeaky now? If so IPA or some sort of solvent that doesn't leave any residue. Thinners would work.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    Ride rided. Kept the grippier tyre on the front, good call, clarty and slippy everywhere, even with most of my route today being hard surfaced. Mulched wet leaves on a sharp bend = wahay!

Bit of hot food calorie intake then prob do nothing for the rest of the day. Bar fiddle about on t'internet 'course.
  • MattFalle

More likely to get squeaky brake if you mess. Are they squeaky now? If so IPA or some sort of solvent that doesn't leave any residue. Thinners would work.

front is front, back squeaky.......

will go and pull some massive skids on it and see what happens.
  • MattFalle
    just having pizza and beer for lunch then may make it to the gym.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2021
    Run/walk runned/walked. Starting the couch to 5k programme again and the way this went, that’s a good thing. Surprisingly enough(not), the fact that school rugby has taken away all weekend activities has had an impact on my fitness. Again. Think I’m going to have to drop it next season, stick with DofE for a couple of weekends in the year. This happened when I started there too and stopped cycling on Sundays because rugby got in the way. I don’t even enjoy it all that much any more.
  • pinno

...some sort of solvent that doesn't leave any residue...

Like brake cleaner.

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    'ning

Wet
    Even worse, my Garmin didn't save my run so I've no proof that I ran up and down Winter Hill in the pouring rain.
    At least I got this amazing photo:

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    MattFalle said:

front is front, back squeaky.......

will go and pull some massive skids on it and see what happens.
    Rinse with water, new pads, pull massive skids.
    Should bed the pads in nicely and get them working good.