Rear Cassette 11-42t with a Deore 10 speed Shadow Plus

Hi,
I have a Calibre Bossnut with a chainset of 22-36 and a rear cassette 11-36T

I want to put a 11-42T on the rear cassette is this possible with this rear derailuer?

I have also been thinking of replacing the Chainset with a single front Chainset but not sure what would work with that derailuer.

So my questions are;

Will a 11-42 or 11-46 work with a Deore derailuer.

And If I replace but cassette and Chainset what could I use. Thanks.

Michael

Comments

• reaperactual
    reaperactual Posts: 1,185
    edited December 2021
    Hi Mike. There are two types of Deore 10speed derailleur. Maybe you can find your bike spec. and it might state which version you have?

One is a long cage (SGS) which is likely (but not guaranteed) the one you have fitted with with your specific (22-36/11-36) 2x10 set up.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-m6000/RD-M6000-SGS.html

^ This one states a max low sprocket capacity of 36t (as in the biggest low cog it is recomended to handle), this can be pushed a little but doubt to a 42t cog without needing a derailleur hanger extender.

The other version is a medium cage (GS) which is more suitable for 1x which will happily take an 11-42 cassette.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deore-m6000/RD-M6000-GS.html

Any 1x crankset or narrow/wide (preferably a 10speed) chainring would be okay to use with either clutched derailleur. Your drivetrain capacity figure is reduced a lot going from 2x to 1x because there is no need to factor in the (14t) difference between the current two front chainrings, hence the medium cage (GS) would be a little better for shifting performance, etc on a 1x set up.

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    I think Shimano's spec sheet is incorrect.
    Longer cage deraileurs can take up more chain so are more suitable. The medium cage might be pushing it at 11 - 42.
    I run 10 speed SLX long cage on a deore 11- 40 cassette with no probs.