If Daniel Craig had done one more Bond................

2»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,589

Apologies again if I've given it away - must admit I thought it had come out earlier in the year than it actually did.

Anyone who wasn't already aware of the ending - several months after release - has either been living in a cave, or probably shouldn't be referring to themselves as a 'Bond fan' anyway...

Or, quite possibly they have been avoiding finding out.
    Like not wanting to know a sporting result prior to watching. I find it easily done.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    But it’s been out for three months. When were these people planning on watching it...?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,686
    pblakeney said:

Apologies again if I've given it away - must admit I thought it had come out earlier in the year than it actually did.

Anyone who wasn't already aware of the ending - several months after release - has either been living in a cave, or probably shouldn't be referring to themselves as a 'Bond fan' anyway...

Or, quite possibly they have been avoiding finding out.
    Like not wanting to know a sporting result prior to watching. I find it easily done.

I must have been living in a cave. But as I'm not a Bond fan, and don't plan on watching it, I'm not bovvered.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,224

But it’s been out for three months. When were these people planning on watching it...?

When it becomes part of the **endless** itv4 repeats. Over and over and over again.
  • pblakeney
    edited December 2021

When it became available on Bluray/DVD, during holidays with time off? I am one of those people. Most I know haven't seen it yet. They wait for "free" streaming.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    pblakeney said:

When it became available on Bluray/DVD, during holidays with time off? I am one of those people. Most I know haven't seen it yet. They wait for "free" streaming.
    By that time, the spoiler will be general knowledge. It'll be a bit like watching the Titanic film and wondering if it'll sink.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    I watched it a few days ago*
    and had had it spoiled, but only once and it really was my fault for not hearing the spoiler warning.

I think spoiler alerts have been rather nicely integrated into popular culture to be fair.

(* S'ok - bit cheesy and a bit too referential but it was fun. Rémi Malik is a hell of an actor. Best recent bond villain since Javier Bardem)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,213
    Thought Malik's character was about lacking in, well, character.

Saying it was the best villain since Bardem is damning with faint praise though, there's only been one film between them. Basically saying he's better than Christopher Waltz's Blofeld.
  • pblakeney
    edited December 2021
    masjer said:

pblakeney said:

By that time, the spoiler will be general knowledge. It'll be a bit like watching the Titanic film and wondering if it'll sink.
    Wrong.
    Apart from watching it I have yet to hear/read a spoiler from anywhere but on here.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Pross
    I don't get when people talk about Bond needing to be changed in some way, sure it needs modernising every now and again* which it did really well when Craig took the role, but if people don't like the format surely you just don't bother watching.

It's a bit like me, as someone who really dislikes Marvel, suggesting they should be changed to take out the overly long fight scenes that end up causing more destruction than the villain would.

* I was watching Thunderball a few weeks ago and one of the 'love' scenes made me cringe as the woman had said no several times, pushed him away, slapped his face before eventually succumbing to the inevitable and falling into his arms which obviously has no place in this day and age.
  • pblakeney said:

Me too.
    I bought a copy on release day, intending to watch it this week.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross said:

I don't get when people talk about Bond needing to be changed in some way, sure it needs modernising every now and again* which it did really well when Craig took the role, but if people don't like the format surely you just don't bother watching.

It's a bit like me, as someone who really dislikes Marvel, suggesting they should be changed to take out the overly long fight scenes that end up causing more destruction than the villain would.

* I was watching Thunderball a few weeks ago and one of the 'love' scenes made me cringe as the woman had said no several times, pushed him away, slapped his face before eventually succumbing to the inevitable and falling into his arms which obviously has no place in this day and age.

Surely it’s now a case of where do you take the format, since with Craig they went back to the beginning and then did the unthinkable?

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • masjer

Pross said:

Surely it’s now a case of where do you take the format, since with Craig they went back to the beginning and then did the unthinkable?

Bond vs Predator?
  • Pross
    Just wish they'd turn McNab's Nick Stone series into films. The rights were originally bought in 2001 by Miramax, they didn't make Firewall due to 9/11 (were going to re-write it to remove the references to Bin Laden but never happened). It got sold to Weinstein but then bought back and Firewall, as Echelon, was due to be filmed in 2010 with Statham in the lead role (obvious choice). That got shelved due to scheduling issues and nothing has happened since.

It feels like such an obvious series to make and with 20 odd books would keep them busy for years. The danger is that a major film producer would change the main character to be an ex-Navy Seal or CIA agent (probably played by Tom Cruise) and completely ruin the stories. That said, Sky did a terrible job with Red Notice as well.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    Pross said:

Just wish they'd turn McNab's Nick Stone series into films. The rights were originally bought in 2001 by Miramax, they didn't make Firewall due to 9/11 (were going to re-write it to remove the references to Bin Laden but never happened). It got sold to Weinstein but then bought back and Firewall, as Echelon, was due to be filmed in 2010 with Statham in the lead role (obvious choice). That got shelved due to scheduling issues and nothing has happened since.

It feels like such an obvious series to make and with 20 odd books would keep them busy for years. The danger is that a major film producer would change the main character to be an ex-Navy Seal or CIA agent (probably played by Tom Cruise) and completely ruin the stories. That said, Sky did a terrible job with Red Notice as well.

One of my guilty book reading pleasures was Clive Cussler. They turned one of his very popular books into a film, and it was a complete flop. This was followed by a legal battle for years over whose fault it was. The film was terrible, in my view, because they changed all the characters to adapt it.

Therefore, be careful what you wish for! One of the things McNab was good at was the attention to detail over things I had never considered - toilet trips while waiting for hours as a sniper. I'm not sure this would work well in a film.

Also, boo on the Bond spoiler. I didn't know, haven't seen it, but probably will at some point.
  • Pross
    Yeah, I've always struggled with films based on books I've read. Sometimes the film version stands up well in its own right if you haven't read the books.

The Jack Reacher films may have been OK had they just been random action movies starring Tom Cruise but as soon as they made them Jack Reacher films, where the main premise is he's this huge person who talks as little as possible, it really didn't work even though they kept large elements of the plot.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Pross said:

Yeah, I've always struggled with films based on books I've read. Sometimes the film version stands up well in its own right if you haven't read the books.

The Jack Reacher films may have been OK had they just been random action movies starring Tom Cruise but as soon as they made them Jack Reacher films, where the main premise is he's this huge person who talks as little as possible, it really didn't work even though they kept large elements of the plot.

Jack Reacher tv series due for release in February on Amazon. No pip squeak Tom Cruise’s in sight.

https://youtu.be/GSycMV-_Csw
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    masjer said:

pblakeney said:

thanks for that - another fim ruined.

thanks
    a
    bunch
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • masjer
    Whoops, sorry Matt and to all those who haven't seen Titanic yet.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    masjer said:

Whoops, sorry Matt and to all those who haven't seen Titanic yet.

I was waiting for it to come out on laser disc :/
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • masjer
    Again, truly sorry. I've got a copy on Betamax you could borrow.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,686
    masjer said:

Is it Omicronmax these days?
  • masjer

masjer said:

Is it Omicronmax these days?
    I'm getting confused now, I thought it was covideo-19.