Puzzle

TheBigBean
TheBigBean Posts: 20,565
edited December 2021 in The cake stop
These sets of puzzles are tricky but I have enjoyed them in previous years. I think my top score with the help of some colleagues was 4 questions out of about 12.

The prize money is mostly for charity and they have a preference that solutions are not posted online, but if anyone can work any out, I'm all ears.

So far I've made progress on question 6 which seems to be the most accessible. I've got the footballer, the author, the K-pop song and the UK city. Can't see a pattern yet.

https://rss.org.uk/news-publication/news-publications/2021/general-news/rss-christmas-quiz-2021/

Comments

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,557
    This is evil!
  • TheBigBean
    masjer said:

This is evil!

Absolutely. Ideally requires a team and lots and lots of time
  • masjer
    I've made a small amount of progress on the first one, but more work needed.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    One of my ex-colleagues would have loved this (and smashed it). He did every puzzle in the GCHQ puzzle book, including the ones that direct you to particular hidden web pages with more puzzles on. In terms of the competition, he came third. Fair to say he no longer works in my dept and has moved to a different part of the country following a year long interview process…
  • Blimey.

A bit like cryptic crosswords, might help to have seen examples of the compiler’s work before!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • TheBigBean

Blimey.

A bit like cryptic crosswords, might help to have seen examples of the compiler’s work before!

They're all online e.g. here's the 2020 version by the same chap.

https://rss.org.uk/news-publication/news-publications/2021/general-news/christmas-quiz-2020-–-how-many-puzzles-did-you-sol/
  • TheBigBean
    masjer said:

I've made no progress there. Looks like a cipher, but then it always does and then I find out it is something completely different.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,575
    However my brain is wired means I cannot remotely think laterally enough to get these. Just lack the brain power.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,858

However my brain is wired means I cannot remotely think laterally enough to get these. Just lack the brain power.

I haven't even got the patience to discover that I haven't got the brain power either.
  • masjer

masjer said:

I've made no progress there. Looks like a cipher, but then it always does and then I find out it is something completely different.
    Got six of the eight on the first question, but the last two are being stubborn. I've now got brain-ache.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Thanks for sharing, but I’m currently on Annual Leave.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • TheBigBean
    edited December 2021
    masjer said:

masjer said:

Got six of the eight on the first question, but the last two are being stubborn. I've now got brain-ache.
    After a fresh look at this, I have got the second one in the first question. The opening hint makes sense, now I have the answer.
  • masjer

masjer said:

masjer said:

After a fresh look at this, I have got the second one in the first question. The opening hint makes sense, now I have the answer.
    Got all 8 now (after much Googling) but the much-loved ground-dwelling
    creature with a distinctive morning cry is being very illusive.
  • TheBigBean
    masjer said:

masjer said:

masjer said:

That's a decent effort. I haven't improved beyond one of the 8.
  • masjer

masjer said:

masjer said:

masjer said:

That's a decent effort. I haven't improved beyond one of the 8.
    Cheers, I had a quick look at some of the other questions- zero progress there.