thursday calculating tree-level scattering amplitudes with a pineapple abacus

2»

Comments

• tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    johngti said:

Morning folks,
    WFH so managed a bit of a lie in which was nice, suffering a major dose of cba though. Not having the traditional Thursday mild hangover is good. I didn't even have a beer out of the fridge last night, might rectify that this evening.
    Are the MFs going blind as the Bottom Bracket eye condition is contagious over the web or is the old wives tale true and wankingitout is making them go blind?
    Selling your soul to the devil Mr GTi? I decided some years back that quality of life was more important than money, will the hours be shorter, fewer weekends and less grief?

Holidays are longer, lower teaching commitment, possibly fewer weekends (would need to find out). Against that, it’s senior leadership so there’s probably a greater commitment to meetings etc but it’s also with responsibility for teaching and learning across the senior school so my doctoral stuff should be a bonus. Other plus point - cycling to work becomes doable again!
    You need a job in a decent place.

Is your possible new job on your old commute? Asking for a mate.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    johngti said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

pinno said:

johngti said:

Anyway, Mrs GTi has gone in. Fingers crossed for her. Where she works at the mo is a hell hole. They seem to be making her pay for daring to make a formal bullying complaint against a deputy head. The nonsense they’ve decided to put her through beggars belief (she’s been signed off with stress and has her union involved).

Reactive rather than responsive? That's indicative of a poor culture.

You don’t know the half of it 😶 she’s probably the lowest paid member of staff there and the effort they’ve put into making her life unbearable is mad. Her line manager has thrown her under the bus, she’s being held accountable for stuff that she has no control over or responsibility for. She’s basically the data and admissions assistant in a school and generates tons of spreadsheets and data. Now, obviously, we’re talking about massive data sets so mistakes creep in and her boss (the actual data manager) should be checking stuff before it goes out. With that amount of information, that’s good practice anyway. But since she’s not bothered about doing that, and didn’t even want to be a line manager in the first place, she just gets the missus to do it. So the first person who catches mistakes is the senior leader in charge of data who does her but when she finds an error.

So there have been 6 minor errors since September (and I mean minor) but she’s been pulled up on them and was told she was being put on informal monitoring procedures to see if there’s an improvement after 4 weeks. That was the moment she said “fuckthis” and went to the doc the next day. The HR manager at my place looked over the letter she was given and couldn’t believe they’d send something that bad and that threatening. The wife has had a OH referral, told them about what was going on and OH immediately told her to get back in touch with her GP and get her sick leave extended. The school now want her to attend a meeting in the new year at which it’s going to be the head, the head’s PA and two HR reps. Mrs GTi is allowed a union rep or other person. But you have to ask why two reps from the HR company they use are going to be there.

Oh, and the missus has never been offered training on spreadsheets or the MIS system in the school. She’s had to teach herself everything.

Absolute shower.
    that't ain't good - what's it like getting a new job in your area?

a perfect scenario would be new job, go in to old job, show middle finger, walk out

possible?
    Not only possible, it’s going to happen! She’s only gone and got the job!!
    Nice one Gti, hope you have the same luck.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Well done MrsGTI, a nice surprise before Christmas!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    tetley10 said:

johngti said:

Morning folks,
    WFH so managed a bit of a lie in which was nice, suffering a major dose of cba though. Not having the traditional Thursday mild hangover is good. I didn't even have a beer out of the fridge last night, might rectify that this evening.
    Are the MFs going blind as the Bottom Bracket eye condition is contagious over the web or is the old wives tale true and wankingitout is making them go blind?
    Selling your soul to the devil Mr GTi? I decided some years back that quality of life was more important than money, will the hours be shorter, fewer weekends and less grief?

Holidays are longer, lower teaching commitment, possibly fewer weekends (would need to find out). Against that, it’s senior leadership so there’s probably a greater commitment to meetings etc but it’s also with responsibility for teaching and learning across the senior school so my doctoral stuff should be a bonus. Other plus point - cycling to work becomes doable again!

Pretty much yeah. St Dunstans in Lee-ish
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    johngti said:

tetley10 said:

johngti said:

Morning folks,

Then you should definitely go for it. I reckon you could just about make it to Lee-ish

• Stevo_666
    johngti said:

tetley10 said:

johngti said:

Morning folks,

Should be rideable from where I think you are based - better than trying to drive it in rush hour!
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • johngti
    Stevo_666 said:

johngti said:

tetley10 said:

johngti said:

Morning folks,

Should be rideable from where I think you are based - better than trying to drive it in rush hour!
    Definitely! Used to ride from here to eltham a few times a week, often via Chislehurst/Bromley so the distance isn’t an issue. Still think I’ll talk to my current headteacher first though.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Fleeting visit and read through, as 'kin broadband been down, again, all day. 'kin Virgin media. Get it 'kin fixed properly. Frustrating as this is first at home day, bar a gym sesh, and lack of broadband makes me realise just how much normal 'stuff' is online, cloud or streamed. What is this 'live' radio and tv?

F it, open the bar.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    johngti said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

pinno said:

johngti said:

Anyway, Mrs GTi has gone in. Fingers crossed for her. Where she works at the mo is a hell hole. They seem to be making her pay for daring to make a formal bullying complaint against a deputy head. The nonsense they’ve decided to put her through beggars belief (she’s been signed off with stress and has her union involved).

You don’t know the half of it 😶 she’s probably the lowest paid member of staff there and the effort they’ve put into making her life unbearable is mad. Her line manager has thrown her under the bus, she’s being held accountable for stuff that she has no control over or responsibility for. She’s basically the data and admissions assistant in a school and generates tons of spreadsheets and data. Now, obviously, we’re talking about massive data sets so mistakes creep in and her boss (the actual data manager) should be checking stuff before it goes out. With that amount of information, that’s good practice anyway. But since she’s not bothered about doing that, and didn’t even want to be a line manager in the first place, she just gets the missus to do it. So the first person who catches mistakes is the senior leader in charge of data who does her but when she finds an error.

So there have been 6 minor errors since September (and I mean minor) but she’s been pulled up on them and was told she was being put on informal monitoring procedures to see if there’s an improvement after 4 weeks. That was the moment she said “fuckthis” and went to the doc the next day. The HR manager at my place looked over the letter she was given and couldn’t believe they’d send something that bad and that threatening. The wife has had a OH referral, told them about what was going on and OH immediately told her to get back in touch with her GP and get her sick leave extended. The school now want her to attend a meeting in the new year at which it’s going to be the head, the head’s PA and two HR reps. Mrs GTi is allowed a union rep or other person. But you have to ask why two reps from the HR company they use are going to be there.

Oh, and the missus has never been offered training on spreadsheets or the MIS system in the school. She’s had to teach herself everything.

Absolute shower.

a perfect scenario would be new job, go in to old job, show middle finger, walk out

possible?
    Awesome - bet she can’t wait to tell them to stick it
  • johngti
    tlw1 said:

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

pinno said:

johngti said:

Absolute shower.

possible?
    She’s very excited about that but worrying about how the new place is going to react to her being off with stress at the moment. I’ve told her she’ll be fine.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    johngti said:

tlw1 said:

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

johngti said:

pinno said:

johngti said:

Absolute shower.

possible?
    She’s very excited about that but worrying about how the new place is going to react to her being off with stress at the moment. I’ve told her she’ll be fine.
    i have a feeling that the stress may go once she has shown both middle fingers at once to the current bunch of muppets.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    as an aside, apart from Ed Sheeran catching Covid, this is the best music related news I have heard in a very long time

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/dec/23/dismay-and-glee-as-coldplay-say-they-will-stop-recording-in-2025
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Great news for Mrs Gti, really pleased about that as the current place thoroughly deserve to get told to stick it.
    I had to dig up the rants thread to moan about that Dullplay news, why can't they just stop now? Or travel back in time and stop sooner.
  • MattFalle
    thistle_ said:
    now that's actually quite a catchy little number tbh ....
  • Stevo_666
    edited December 2021
    BUPA just published my health check report and my PSA prostate blood test came back normal :) Nice little Christmas pressie and a bit of a relief, although I'm going to see the consultant quack in the first week of Jan anyway just to be sure.

I'll also carry on trying to pickle it shortly - better safe than sorry.
  • johngti
    That’s excellent Stevo! I didn’t get my PSA level until the consultant appointment so that was fun 🙂
  • Stevo_666
    edited December 2021
    johngti said:

That’s excellent Stevo! I didn’t get my PSA level until the consultant appointment so that was fun 🙂

T'was good to know so quickly, but BUPA are pretty bloody efficient at this: they had all my other blood test results back while I was still at the assessment yesterday - basically within an hour. The PSA blood test was only today because they had to do a separate request for it once the doc had examined me.

All the better really as the first appointment I could get with any of the local consultants was 7th January. They've probably all naffed off for a sunshine holiday.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,321
    Stevo_666 said:

BUPA just published my health check report and my PSA prostate blood test came back normal :) Nice little Christmas pressie and a bit of a relief, although I'm going to see the consultant quack in the first week of Jan anyway just to be sure.

Phew!

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Good news Stevo, worth raising a glass to celebrate. With another glass for Mrs GTi of course. Anyone else I should celebrate for?
  • MattFalle
    Stevo_666 said:

so no finger bum?
  • Stevo_666
    MattFalle said:

Stevo_666 said:

so no finger bum?
    Had one of those on Tuesday...
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman said:

Good news Stevo, prompt result so no worrying waits. Supposedly cycling can increase the psa score if test is done after a recent ride.

No risk of that Oxo - not been on a bike since the first half of November (and regretted it as the leg bloody hurt afterwards).