Glove Recommendation Please

Sealskinz that I've used last few winters are now finished.

Recommendations for gloves that are, in order of importance:

1. Good for zero degrees and less (Aberdeenshire!)

2. Waterproof.

Thinking about the £50 mark

Much appreciated (in advance)

Comments

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Galibier Barrier gloves. Size up in them to leave space for a thin liner.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited December 2021
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CLCACHG/carnac-reflective-waterproof-crab-hand-winter-gloves

Paid ~50% of that in sale back in September, used them for first time in last week or two, for early morning cold starts (feeling like approx -4C) commuting to work. Lovely and toasty.

I bought XL even though my hands aren't big, ~20cm wrist to middle finger tip, ~8cm across knuckles, leaves loads of room.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Endura Primaloft SL. Best winter gloves I've used. Worth every penny!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    These are £48 with delivery - I have the Nordic thinner version, and they are awesome in pretty cold conditions.

These look similar to the Bontrager Thermal RXL gloves I was going to recommend, but it appears they don't make them anymore :-(

https://bikezaar.com/products/av-300-winter-glove?variant=41016376721608
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I'm going to recommend against Castelli Estremo gloves. Definitely not worth the price. They'd be a hard sell at 50% off.

I've always had cold hands and these Castelli, for me and in Edinburgh, are OK in between +2 and +8. They'll do okay in light drizzle, but will soak up under heavier rain (e.g. yesteday afternoon). Cold wet gloves are then the perfect recipe for disaster.
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    Thanks all. I'll take a look at the suggestions.

Noted on the Castelli's!
  • Surely just get some more sealskinz, mine are great. You have a product that I'm guessing worked will for you. I've done the "let's try something new" routine many times and it's a rare day I find something I like more then the item it replaced.

Bikeauthority.cc
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • A pair of decent ski gloves, seem to be warmer than most cycle gloves and are generally waterproof.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
  • Ski gloves. Decathlon.
  • Endura Primaloft SL. Best winter gloves I've used. Worth every penny!

Seconded, bought a pair for this winter and have kept my hands comfortable and warm at 0 c and in prolonged rain at 2c. Tried lots of other pairs before these and always struggled with cold hands in these conditions.

• pinno said:
    +1 for these, though it looks like they are short of stock at the moment. Great in cold weather without being excessively bulky, my criticism is that they get sweaty when it gets warmer so I have a pair of Santini gloves for anything above 5°C. The question is what do you do when it's freezing in the morning but the forecast is approaching double figures later in the day?
  • Ski mitts from Decathlon. They are waterproof and ( crucially) allow you to maintain skin-skin contact between fingers. They take a bit of getting used to on a road bike, with brifters, but once you get used to the way you have to do it, it’s worth it for not getting chilly fingers. On a MTB or flat bar bike they’re even easier.
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    If you get some of these as under gloves / socks you can get away with anything over them, even quite thin gloves / socks.

They are the warmest I have ever encountered.

https://www.easylife.co.uk/product/nasa-thermal-gloves-or-socks-pair/35090

The downside is Easylife sell / pass on your details to half the world and his brother and you end up being inundated with catalogues for everything from gadget people to home meal delivery.

I highly recommend them but it would be beneficial to try and find a different supplier so you are free from the catalogue hassle.
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    pinno said:
    Damn, I may have to buy a pair of those:

EDIT: Have gone for small and x-small to see which fits better, and to get free postage.
    If small fits, I may keep the xs for my daughter.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    drhaggis said:

I'm going to recommend against Castelli Estremo gloves. Definitely not worth the price. They'd be a hard sell at 50% off.

I've always had cold hands and these Castelli, for me and in Edinburgh, are OK in between +2 and +8. They'll do okay in light drizzle, but will soak up under heavier rain (e.g. yesteday afternoon). Cold wet gloves are then the perfect recipe for disaster.

Sold mine after one winter for the opposite reason. Impossible to wear above zero. Just too warm.
  • mrb123 said:

Galibier Barrier gloves. Size up in them to leave space for a thin liner.

I got some of these after owning the Ardennes light winter gloves for a year or so. The Ardennes are great for down to about 5-6degrees and maintain good dexterity.
    Used the Deep Winter on 2 rides - first ride was probably about 5degrees, and they were too warm.
    Second ride was 0degrees and the deep winter gloves were perfect. Dexterity obviously not as good as Ardennes, but still good. As per the reviews on Galibier, the thumb is too tight, but great apart from that.
  • I had decathlon ski gloves, brilliant of extra cold rides. The other route was Big Mike's Winter Work Gloves from Homebase ...... at a hefty £12 they are a complete bargain and very tough.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b said:

pinno said:
    Damn, I may have to buy a pair of those:

EDIT: Have gone for small and x-small to see which fits better, and to get free postage.
    If small fits, I may keep the xs for my daughter.
    Ordered in small only in the end - fit is really good.
    Padding may be excessive for some.

Touch screen works fine - only negative is that if it's raining, the drip level is rather lacking, so for water bottles, and if you don't wrap the tops of your bars.
    Other than that, very capable.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18