Winter bidon

Are there any bidons out there that can keep drinks relatively warm on a winter ride? I don't need a flask that keeps drinks red hot, happy so long as it's not like ice water. Does the Camelbak podium chill do the job?

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I’ve not used an insulated bottle for winter, but I presume that if you put slightly warm water in then it should stop it freezing.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    That's one of the pleasanter aspects of winter riding- chilled water 💧
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Stick it in your back pocket?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Yep the podium chill, or Ice will do the job.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    It's not exactly a Thermos but it does keep it a bit warmer than a standard single skin bottle. I add some warm/hot water depending on outside temps to help stop the water feeling so cold much further into a ride.
  • If the ride is up to 90 minutes then I just fill the bottle with hot water / squash. Longer than that it's a saddlebag and proper thermos flask for me.
  • Never tried warm/hot drink in my Podium Chills or my Podium Ice, will have to give it a try.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Kinto travel tumblers. Can keep liquid hot for about 4-5 hours. Really worth the money.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065

Never tried warm/hot drink in my Podium Chills or my Podium Ice, will have to give it a try.

Neither have I.

Those Kinto tumblers look a good option though.
  • pippi_langsamer-2
    pippi_langsamer-2 Posts: 1,470
    edited December 2021
    Get yourself a Contigo insulated travel "mug". They do a few different ones- I have the Byron. They fit in a cage, and will keep liquids warm for a good few hours. I find after three hours in really cold conditions, the liquid is lukewarm towards the end, but actually the best temperature for supping. They do/ will lost any surface colour so best to go for a plain silver one.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bidon, ffs..
  • womack
    womack Posts: 566
    I am absolutely amazed that there is a call for such an item.

I cycle in all weathers and temperatures and have never given a thought to my bidon other than taking it out of the fridge and sticking it on my bike at the start of my ride.

I suppose someone somewhere is as we speak inventing a thermos flask cage !!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I wonder how many people go in to a bike shop and say “What sort of bidons have you got”.
    Or at home do you get “ Will you stop leaving your bidons on the draining board”
  • imposter2.0
    edited December 2021
    womack said:

I cycle in all weathers and temperatures and have never given a thought to my bidon other than taking it out of the fridge and sticking it on my bike at the start of my ride.

Personally, I don't have any bidons. I've got a cupboard full of BOTTLES though...
  • womack

womack said:

Personally, I don't have any bidons. I've got a cupboard full of BOTTLES though...

Yes, take your point, I was just answering like for like as the op obviously uses the term bidon whereas like you I would call it a bottle.

Anyway I suppose it proves one thing, anything anyone posts on here there is always one person ready to have a pop and that person is usually you!

• webboo
    Imposter does have a point unless jimmycrates is French. Next thing folk will be asking for recommendations for thermal musettes, instead of wooly bonk bags.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    webboo said:

Imposter does have a point unless jimmycrates is French. Next thing folk will be asking for recommendations for thermal musettes, instead of wooly bonk bags.

Mrs B used to have one of those but she has shaved it all off now.
  • imposter2.0
    Tomorrow, I will ride by bicyclette, while wearing my casque and maybe some thermal gants, depending on the temperature. I won't be taking any bidons though...
  • womack

Tomorrow, I will ride by bicyclette, while wearing my casque and maybe some thermal gants, depending on the temperature. I won't be taking any bidons though...

Presumably you have never bought a souvenir either.
  • webboo
    No he may have bought a memento instead. ;)
  • womack
    webboo said:

Which comes from the Latin to remember.

Words cross over languages, it happens. I feel sure many English people use words from other languages day in day out without realising they are doing it.

• webboo
    So does souvenir but then in to French. Where as memento is Latin to Middle English.
    Yes words cross languages but any one who uses Bidon instead of bottle and was born and bred in the UK is being a touch pretentious.
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    womack said:

webboo said:

Words cross over languages, it happens. I feel sure many English people use words from other languages day in day out without realising they are doing it.

Au contraire, you're being an agent provocateur. This doesn't give you carte blanche to behave this way. You are en route to a fait accompli. Anyway, vive la difference.
    I bid you adieu.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283
    masjer said:

womack said:

webboo said:

Au contraire, you're being an agent provocateur. This doesn't give you carte blanche to behave this way. You are en route to a fait accompli. Anyway, vive la difference.
    I bid you adieu.
    This was extremely hard to follow, I think you've been hoisted by your own petard.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    webboo said:

So does souvenir but then in to French. Where as memento is Latin to Middle English.
    Yes words cross languages but any one who uses Bidon instead of bottle and was born and bred in the UK is being a touch pretentious.

Intentional?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • masjer
    pangolin said:

masjer said:

womack said:

webboo said:

I bid you adieu.
    This was extremely hard to follow, I think you've been hoisted by your own petard.

Touche!
  • imposter2.0
    womack said:

Presumably you have never bought a souvenir either.
    Let's not get into a debate on the wider origins of the English language (although it actually appears to be too late for that).

Using 'bidon' when there is a perfectly acceptable and already widely-used 'English' alternative just seems to be an unnecessary affectation, IMO. Anyway, carry on...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252

Using 'bidon' when there is a perfectly acceptable and already widely-used 'English' alternative just seems to be an unnecessary affectation, IMO. Anyway, carry on...

I was thinking may be justifiable if typing on a phone as it uses fewer letters than 'water bottle'. But with auto complete you could probably get both of those words with fewer keys, or just use 'bottle' of course. So it falls under pointless affectation for me.
    But chapeau to Masjer for this:
    masjer said:

I bid you adieu.

• masjer
    Chapeau, ffs, surely it's hats off!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    masjer said:

Chapeau, ffs, surely it's hats off!

I couldn't resist :D