'ning

nippier, gloomygrey continues

ride, cafes, wfh, mince pie, finish off rarebit, bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Poor Oxo 😢 grief and chores is a horrible combination

Scheduled run last night completed and the knee held up, so this morning I did a chilled jog with the hounds and again all good 😎

Work stuff and chilled night ahead
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Greetings,

Good news on no op Oxo, bad news shes likely like this till June, how does she feel about gift bags rather than wrapping?

Naff all to report for the shire of heck dull an grey. No mince pies today someone forgot to go shopping last night. Is it half four yet?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    step83 said:

Greetings,

Good news on no op Oxo, bad news shes likely like this till June, how does she feel about gift bags rather than wrapping?

Why not hobby spray paint? You (she) can do it one handed.

Bloomin eck it's dull.

@oxoman - long shot: any service material on a Bradbury series 28 car lift?
    Need to know operating currents etc. The manual is shyte.

seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Sat at home waiting for a plumber at one of the PP's, new boiler ahoy!
    Need to pick up some coal, may also see of mince pies are available.
    Kids are round tonight, probably off their t!ts on candy canes.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    pinno said:

step83 said:

Greetings,

Bloomin eck it's dull.

you could post pics, model number, any plate on the motor etc., then we can have a google treasure hunt

mince pie time
  • The usual stuff.

Ended up getting dragged out to do shopping chores, unfortunately at the centre where the specimens from the shallow end of the gene pool congregate (or coagulate?). Dreadful place, and hopefully one I can now avoid till at least the new year.

Meant we got home too late to do bike ride or anything else fun.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,149
    Busy morning. Day 2 of tree and garden hacking going on, plus the usual round of people trying get stuff off their desks and onto other people's before Xmas. With a bit of careful timing they will get it back shortly before I take close on 2 weeks of leave o:)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    sungod said:

pinno said:

step83 said:

Greetings,

Bloomin eck it's dull.

you could post pics, model number, any plate on the motor etc., then we can have a google treasure hunt

mince pie time
    Motor is fine.
    There is a safety solenoid which deploys a lever.
    Voltage at the solenoid is 8v, It's a 24v Solenoid.

Oh yes please - a Google treasure hunt for current testing etc would be great. I have the wiring diagrams which aren't the best. There's nothing about the correct operating current for the solenoid. It may well work with 8v (amps unknown) but I don't want to connect it to a power pack and start ramping up the current to see if it energizes the solenoid.
    It would be better to apply the correct current and voltage.
    The ramp will go up but not down. When the master switch and the down switch are simultaneously pressed, the parallel (not series) system activates the valve solenoid (hydraulic pressure release) and the safety solenoid (physical level release) but something is not happening.

It's a series 28 Bradbury 2 poster. You may find the manual in pdf form but if it is the same as I have, you get scant testing parameters.
  • pinno
    Phoned Gemco and got a part number and operating currents.
    Solenoid is AC 24v. Amps, minimal.

Still don't know if 8v is sufficient (actual operating voltage) or I am getting a current drop somewhere.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    ‘Noon

Cafe next door.

While floor fitters floor fit and while I wait for Virgin to bring us a new router - ours went missing in our storage…
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    pinno said:

Still don't know if 8v is sufficient (actual operating voltage) or I am getting a current drop somewhere.

dodgy fuse or loose/poor/corroded contact somewhere?

24 vac presumably is coming off a transformer, if there's 24vac at the transformer, you should be able to remove power and trace back with an ohmmeter until you find where the resistance is

if there isn't 24 vac at the transformer, it might be faulty or something else could be loading it down (or the ac input could be bad due to dodgy connection etc.)
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    pinno said:

8V would suggest a current drop. So it should be Transformer to step down to 24v then a fuse something like a 3A, switch, limit switch, an AC Contactor then your solenoid valve for up then another for down both of which should still see 24V (ish). There should be a line both before and after the down solenoid going back to the transformer obviously to complete the circuit

Bear in mind I've not played with two posters in years but generally they are all very similar.
    Just check the safeties are not still on. Usually the Solenoids are replaceable so worst case its just that. When ramps went when I did spanners many many moons ago we got the auto electricians to fix it, they are used to getting electrocuted :D
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited December 2021
    Electrics are something I always avoided when spannering, but a voltage difference* of that magnitude definitely implies a problem somewhere.

*potential difference difference, I know
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Resistance is futile*

*Unless < 1Ω
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Day 6. The warder here is a sadist. She gets enjoyment from constantly swanning in and out. I’m sure she watches me in the dark through the glass door. There’s others here too, strange little people who seem to be constantly communicating with other people via the use of headsets. I’m nervous. I suspect I’m not going to be allowed out of here alive.
  • pinno
    Cheers Step/SG.

I'll be there tonight trying not to electrocute myself.

2 live feeds into the solenoid - 1for up and 1 for down. Circuit diagram doesn't say which is which so some pot luck there.
    Have traced the return under the spar but will check for undue resistance.
    I guess the master switch has an AC contactor on it or immediately after? Wiring diagram shows something 20 feet away. London underground style misrepresentations of distance.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    johngti said:

Day 6. The warder here is a sadist. She gets enjoyment from constantly swanning in and out. I’m sure she watches me in the dark through the glass door. There’s others here too, strange little people who seem to be constantly communicating with other people via the use of headsets. I’m nervous. I suspect I’m not going to be allowed out of here alive.

do ypu want to get arrange to get a MF dropped out of a helicopter nearby for you?

for no particular rescue, it may just be quite funny to watch.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Hurrah Hurrah Hurrah!! My consultant told me today that I may drink alcohol again after 30 months of abstinence. Happy days :)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    as an aside, the barber in Edwyn's barbershop is today, for some unreason unknown to us all, decided to dress like a Mujahideen.

its just utterly random.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pinno
    MattFalle said:

as an aside, the barber in Edwyn's barbershop is today, for some unreason unknown to us all, decided to dress like a Mujahideen.

its just utterly random.

It's existential. You are in Wales but your mind is elsewhere.
  • pinno

Hurrah Hurrah Hurrah!! My consultant told me today that I may drink alcohol again after 30 months of abstinence. Happy days :)

A hangover will cure that.
  • I think after 30 months I'd like to stay sober.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410

I think after 30 months I'd like to stay sober.

I’m in no hurry to go and get bladdered. I’m quite happy with an alcohol free lifestyle and will probably carry on as such. It’s just nice to have the option of having a glass of wine or a beer without fear of it killing me or making me very ill.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249

I think after 30 months I'd like to stay sober.

I’m in no hurry to go and get bladdered. I’m quite happy with an alcohol free lifestyle and will probably carry on as such. It’s just nice to have the option of having a glass of wine or a beer without fear of it killing me or making me very ill.

That's entirely reasonable, it's good to know that you can have a drink if you want to but it's your choice. Presumably whatever caused the enforced abstinence has improved which must be a good thing.
  • pinno
    oxoman said:

Pinno sorry not got back before been busy sorting the OH. The fact it goes up kind of says your 24v power supply is OK. It definitely needs more than 8 volts to activate the solenoid. Could be a dodgy connection / some machines have separate fuses for each valve so could be that or a defective solenoid coil that's dragging the voltage down to 8v. Either way good luck.

Solenoid valve was drawing too much current and not working - even with a tap from a hammer.
    We disconnected it and the current shot up across the switch to a healthy 22.5v.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    Yo dudes, day of meetings and reading but have done back to back riding days fo the fist time in a while. Managed a quick kip as well so that's two this week. Went with corned beef and mustard sandwiches, last night, in the end.
  • tetley10
    johngti said:

Welcome to Alcatraz
  • tetley10
    Gti, can you not use your vast mathematical knowledge to formulate an escape plan which you can put into action at the earliest opportunity.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    tetley10 said:

Gti, can you not use your vast mathematical knowledge to formulate an escape plan which you can put into action at the earliest opportunity.

Yeah. It involves counting another 4 days and then I'm free!!!!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Evening folks,
    Hectic day of WFH, osteopath visit, talking to builder about mum's new gaff and daughter's birthday. Turns out I no longer have any teenage kids and I pulled a muscle last week. I knew the former was happening and suspected the latter. You may be amused to hear I damaged myself fighting for some cake. It was good cake and I did beat the other guy to get to it, would have been disappointed if I'd injured myself and lost.