SPOTY 2021

Only 6 canditates for the populatity competition this year, and no Cav!
The nominees are Tom Daley, Tyson Fury, Adam Peaty, Emma Raducanu, Raheem Sterling and Dame Sarah Storey.

Comments

• laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    I'd be amazed if Radacanu doesn't win
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,245
    Sterling, surely. One of best players in the whole Euro tournament.
  • It's game set and match for me. Football? I still haven't gotten over Ryan Giggs winning.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Tyson Fury :lol:

I mean, yeh, if that's the kind of personality you want to celebrate...
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Hamilton was robbed from being on the list, he deserved the win in Dubai.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,614
    Read this Fury fellow had threatened legal action of some sort vs BBC were he nominated. I assume this was a clickbait generator move.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878
    orraloon said:

Read this Fury fellow had threatened legal action of some sort vs BBC were he nominated. I assume this was a clickbait generator move.

Was that not last year? Or has he done the same this year too?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    Yawn.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Three of them didn't have a better year than Cavendish, and one of the others doesn't want to be on the list.
  • Sterling, surely. One of best players in the whole Euro tournament.

10 goals in the Premier League and losing finalist twice, (and not taking one of the penalties) doesn't scream "massive favourite" to me.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,878

10 goals in the Premier League and losing finalist twice, (and not taking one of the penalties) doesn't scream "massive favourite" to me.
    But in Rick's playstation version, Sterling scored 20 goals at the euros, replaced Kane as captain, and England won the final. B)
  • rick_chasey

Pfft prem is for people who want to pay £45 a month. Small audience.
  • Sterling, surely. One of best players in the whole Euro tournament.

OK, and how does "not winning the Euros" make him a shoo in?
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

Hamilton was robbed from being on the list, he deserved the win in Dubai.

deserved the win? really?

but he lost, so there you go

#jingoism
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2021

It was the one sporting event everyone actually watched, he was the star player in an otherwise very likeable team who got as close as you can get to winning a big tournament. Everyone was buzzing, it was fantastic.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,218

Heard his name on the list and assumed it was the token footballer to keep everyone happy.

Considering it was an Olympic year the shortlist is pretty poor.
  • MattFalle said:

Hamilton was robbed from being on the list, he deserved the win in Dubai.

deserved the win? really?

but he lost, so there you go

#jingoism
    I would retort, but I know my retortness would be futile in the universal language of deservedness.
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    edited December 2021

It was the one sporting event everyone actually watched, he was the star player in an otherwise very likeable team who got as close as you can get to winning a big tournament. Everyone was buzzing, it was fantastic.
    Surely he was only the star player for people who don’t understand football, right up there with Grealish.

And you don’t mention bottling the penalty
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318

A Sterling performance at the biggest tournament of the year! Well deserves his place of the list. Plus his kid is really cute in the Gillet advert, bonus point.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • why is Rashford not the only nominee?
  • seanoconn

Surely he was only the star player for people who don’t understand football, right up there with Grealish.

You do know Rashford and Sterling are two different people??
  • seanoconn said:

maybe I could have phrased that better but if we are talking "sports personality" then it has to be Rashford
  • seanoconn

seanoconn said:

maybe I could have phrased that better but if we are talking "sports personality" then it has to be Rashford
    Yes but you mentioned bottling a penalty when Rick was talking about Sterling?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

Ahh, unless you meant bottling the penalty by not taking it. Jeez, you’re hard work.
  • seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

I count forwards who duck out of penalty shoot out as the lowest of the low bottlers
  • The last Women to have won spoty was Zara Phillips in 2006. If Emma Raducanu doesn't win after getting a Major in a top competitive sport, she's as cheated as Hamilton in not winning his eighth world title.
  • rick_chasey

Surely he was only the star player for people who don’t understand football

Harsh.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,513

The last Women to have won spoty was Zara Phillips in 2006. If Emma Raducanu doesn't win after getting a Major in a top competitive sport, she's as cheated as Hamilton in not winning his eighth world title.

You could make a similar argument about most of the options.
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2021
    You won't get much money back if you put money on Emma winning, so it seems likely she will.

1/20 for Emma,

Meanwhile Sterling coming in at 150/1, so what do I know?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Ben6899 said:

Tyson Fury :lol:

I mean, yeh, if that's the kind of personality you want to celebrate...

Maybe if it was Sporting Personality Disorder of the year.