BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    edited December 2021

pblakeney said:

It's most the self-help thread for the hardcore now.

I can' remember the last time Brexit was brought up by a colleague.

You probably haven't been affected by it that much then. It's quite a topic of conversation in our industry.
    Affected, but nothing is likely to change, so nothing to discuss.
    The current situation is censored and likely to remain censored so there is no point in discussing how censored it is. Okay.
    You're inferring something I didn't say. Affected does not mean the apocalypse, or worse, briantrumpet's view.
    You're inferring something I didn't say.

At this point, I've no idea what you are trying to say. I can understand why you might not care to discuss the political or economic implications of Brexit though.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243

It's mostly the self-help thread for the hardcore now.

I can't remember the last time Brexit was brought up by a colleague.

Entirely depends on your job. It gets mentioned a couple times a week in my job (has totally changed the structure of European sales coverage in asset management fwiw)
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,596

pblakeney said:

You probably haven't been affected by it that much then. It's quite a topic of conversation in our industry.
    The current situation is censored and likely to remain censored so there is no point in discussing how censored it is. Okay.
    You're inferring something I didn't say. Affected does not mean the apocalypse, or worse, briantrumpet's view.
    You said there was nothing to discuss.
    I'm willing to bet Brexit will still be getting headlines in 12 months.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

People still discuss the rights and wrongs of Thatcher. I expect it to be similar for Brexit for GB.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,511
    Companies were sitting on record amounts of cash following the Brexit vote. The expectation was that when a deal was done, this cash would be invested. Clearly, Covid has had impact on the levels of cash, so it is not clear where the money has gone - perhaps it has helped some businesses survive. This is harder to see on a graph that ignores a pandemic.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Can you explain why it is realistic to extrapolate a pattern from 2008 to 2016 and assume this continues forever. By the logic of this chart investment would curve up forever beyond 2022. How would this be achievable in a relatively mature western economy?
  • rick_chasey
    edited December 2021
    If you can’t see the wood for the trees I can’t help you.

Something happens in 2016 which throws investment way off and it has not recovered since.
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

Something happens in 2016 which throws investment way off and it has not recovered since.

When we instigate actual policies that save the planet your world is going to be turned upside down when you look at these charts. What did the chart look like in the ten years prior?
  • rick_chasey
    john80 said:

When we instigate actual policies that save the planet your world is going to be turned upside down when you look at these charts. What did the chart look like in the ten years prior?
    Have a read yourself from the BoE pre corona

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/bank-overground/2019/what-has-driven-the-recent-weakness-of-business-investment
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

People still discuss the rights and wrongs of Thatcher. I expect it to be similar for Brexit for GB.
    Nice of you to admit that your point was made in error. 😉
    Main point is that Maggie is not in the headlines, Brexit will still be for some time.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney

Companies were sitting on record amounts of cash following the Brexit vote. The expectation was that when a deal was done, this cash would be invested. Clearly, Covid has had impact on the levels of cash, so it is not clear where the money has gone - perhaps it has helped some businesses survive. This is harder to see on a graph that ignores a pandemic.

Companies were sitting on cash waiting to see how Brexit would turn out. It turned out to be shit so they are still sitting on the cash, and will remain doing so. Brexit is shit.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    pblakeney said:

Companies were sitting on cash waiting to see how Brexit would turn out. It turned out to be censored so they are still sitting on the cash, and will remain doing so. Brexit is censored .

If 'censored' turned into a swear word, how would the BR swear filter cope?
  • briantrumpet

I suspect you can work out why certain people are focused on the trees. Or saying that even the trees aren't worth looking at.
  • pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

Nice of you to admit that your point was made in error. 😉
    Main point is that Maggie is not in the headlines, Brexit will still be for some time.

• pblakeney
    Very good!
    That's the photo though, not the headline. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Once you've blamed the real culprits, there's no room for the one true heroine.

• briantrumpet
    Bad news for the Telegraph: the fish wars are off (for now). They seem to be in favour of quoting the EU now, given that it recognises that French posturing was an impediment to progress. Who knew that the EU could perform such a useful function?

French posturing made reaching deal earlier more difficult:
    European officials had hoped for an earlier deal, but conceded French posturing over fishing rights had made the task more difficult. “If they’d just left it to the experts, we’d have been closer to a deal by now,” an EU source told the Telegraph.

Government sources said they had gone to "great lengths" to help French vessels prove their historical fishing activity, including purchasing commercial positioning data. The process of issuing licences had been based on "evidence rather than deadlines", they added, with talks set to continue over future permits.

The Government has also reached a separate deal with Norway and the EU over how to divide fish stocks in the North Sea next year.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/12/11/brexit-fishing-talks-breakthrough-uk-grants-licences-french/
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,165

It's mostly the self-help thread for the hardcore now.

I can't remember the last time Brexit was brought up by a colleague.

Exactly.

Most people aren't posting in here any more because they're bored with it. This has been a whinge fest for a long time time now. As mentioned before, the thread title is very apt :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    edited December 2021
    i'm not posting as the outcome is clear

brexit has damaged the uk and left it with a government of liars and traitors, only traitors or utter idiots would dispute that, no point wasting time on them

:D
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

That's a funny way of not posting ;)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    edited December 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

more entertaining than your trolling
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Stevo_666
    sungod said:

Stevo_666 said:

sungod said:

more entertaining than your trolling
    Simply commenting on the statement of affairs in here. I rarely post in the thread for the reasons above :)

And that's 2 posts now...and one rise even though I wasn't trolling :smiley:
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    edited December 2021
    Ironically it's the UK Gov /Brexiteers who aren't happy with what was agreed and have spent all year whingeing about it.

Worth noting were only a couple of weeks away from further checks on imports to the UK.

I wonder are we ready.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey

Ironically it's the UK Gov /Brexiteers who aren't happy with what was agreed and have spent all year whingeing about it.

Worth noting were only a couple of weeks away from further checks on imports to the UK.

I wonder are we ready.

Omicron will overshadow it again like delta did last year
  • Ironically it's the UK Gov /Brexiteers who aren't happy with what was agreed and have spent all year whingeing about it.

I wonder are we ready.

Omicron will overshadow it again like delta did last year
    So it could be lorry drivers stuck the other side of the Border...
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,132
    edited December 2021
    Brexit is done. If it helps the more compartmentalising tendencies of some posters, think of this thread as a discussion of our ongoing relationship with the EU, which changes again on 1st Jan.
  • pblakeney
    I'm happy to along with our ongoing relationship with the EU being shit.
    Shame as it used to be less shit.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    Stevo would be crowing like mad if it wasn’t all iterations of bad news
  • Stevo_666

Stevo would be crowing like mad if it wasn’t all iterations of bad news

Not really, it makes no difference to me and to most people apart from a small hard-core who can't let it go.