Bike Wheel Upgrade Question

Hi all :

Bike company offers choices of wheel upgrades at the time of placing an order -

So is it better to get the ones that come with the bike ( reviews claim them to be slow & boxy ) or select the upgrade at the time of placing the order ?

Usually which approach is more economical ?

Thanks.

Comments

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    Why not check the price with and without the upgrade, and check the price of the upgraded wheels alone. Just a thought.
  • j_vora
    j_vora Posts: 63
    Logical, First.Asorct.

Wonder which approach would provide a better warranty, service etc.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,577
    It also depends on whether the upgrade wheels are ones you would choose\be happy with yourself.

Additionally, if you go and spec your own ones after the original sale, you have a spare set, either to sell on for a modest amount, or to keep as spares/winter wheels.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    I've had this dilemna myself the last two times I've bought a bike, and did the sums First Aspect mentions. Both times it was better to buy the bike with the cheap wheels, and buy the wheels I wanted afterwards. I took the wheels off second I got the bike and sold as "New Other" on eBay to get the best price.

It will depend on the wheels you get with the bike and what the upgrade options are, but in my case the choice was Mavic, and Mavic's carbon offerings weren't that good or cheap; by changing yourself you've got the whole of the market to pick from.

As an example when I bought my Ribble earlier this year changing from stock Aksium to Prime carbons meant I had to put in an extra £380 once all costs / fees were taken into account. With respect to the warranty, if I had a problem with the bike I'd send back to Ribble, if I had a problem with the wheels I'd send back to Wiggle - wheels are meant to be changed!
  • j_vora
    The points mentioned above are helpful.

And yes, not selecting from the limited choice at the time of purchase n going ahead with the stock wheels provides the entire market as possibilities post purchase -

Thanks all - Value the contributions.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    j_vora said:

Hi all :

Bike company offers choices of wheel upgrades at the time of placing an order -

So is it better to get the ones that come with the bike ( reviews claim them to be slow & boxy ) or select the upgrade at the time of placing the order ?

Usually which approach is more economical ?

Thanks.

Ok .I will display my ignorance. What is "boxy" when related to bike wheels?
    It sounds like more bike journalist b0ll0cks.
  • daniel_b
    Missed that I must be honest, and not one I have heard before.

I'm going to take a punt on it implying it doesn't roll very well, in the same way a box wouldn't, although a box would struggle to roll at all I suppose :D
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Define ‘doesn’t roll very well’ when talking about a wheel please.
  • longy
    longy Posts: 74

Well, if you take it off the bike and try to roll it 'sideways' it doesn't work very well.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    I always thought "boxy" meant the rim had the classical square profile:

• daniel_b
    edited December 2021

I wouldn't be able too, I'm just repeating a well used line by the cycling press and some forumites :)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • j_vora
    drhaggis, you understood what was meant.

My bad for not being clear that I was referring to the cross section/profile of the wheels rim.

• I think you need to define what "upgrade" means to you. If aerodynamics or light weight are really important then having the whole market to choose from is definitely the answer. If you just want some "nicer" better quality wheels that are reliable then you would likely be happy with the manufacturers upgrade (which is typically better value).

This would be my our starting point when working with our clients
    Bikeauthority.cc
    IG - bikeauthority.cc