Thread to tell everyone what bike gear you've just bought !

Comments

• Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    mrb123 said:

daniel_b said:

mrb123 said:

Some new bib tights in the Pactimo sale.

As usual they have some substantial discounts in the current sale, plus discount codes seems to be working on the sale prices so mucho bargainous.

Did ya'll happen to know any of those codes off the top of your head? :)

I can see a 10% out there, but back in the day there used to be referrers 40%ish ones iirc, although also, iirc, they didn't always work with sale items.

Not for myself, but have a couple of mates who have recently started out, and one of them is trying to battle out still in shorts and a ss summer jersey :D:o

Oh and which bibtights did you go for?
    Went for these tights...
    https://www.pactimo.co.uk/collections/mens-essential-road-bibs-tights-thermal/products/storm-thermal-cycling-bib-tight-mens

I previously ordered a pair of the Vertex ones which seemed like they'd be super warm but the fit wasn't quite right as is often the case when tights use more softshell type material which doesn't stretch as much as lycra.

I'll PM you about the code Dan.
    Anyone able to recommend the shorts? At £38 seems a good deal
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,581
    Tashman said:

mrb123 said:

daniel_b said:

mrb123 said:

As usual they have some substantial discounts in the current sale, plus discount codes seems to be working on the sale prices so mucho bargainous.

I can see a 10% out there, but back in the day there used to be referrers 40%ish ones iirc, although also, iirc, they didn't always work with sale items.

Not for myself, but have a couple of mates who have recently started out, and one of them is trying to battle out still in shorts and a ss summer jersey :D:o

Went for these tights...
    https://www.pactimo.co.uk/collections/mens-essential-road-bibs-tights-thermal/products/storm-thermal-cycling-bib-tight-mens

I previously ordered a pair of the Vertex ones which seemed like they'd be super warm but the fit wasn't quite right as is often the case when tights use more softshell type material which doesn't stretch as much as lycra.

I haven't tried those ones but these are brilliant...
    https://www.pactimo.co.uk/collections/mens-bibs-shorts-the-essentials/products/ascent-vector-cycling-bib-short-mens

At that price I don't think there's anything better on the market. I've got two pairs of these and three of the Summit Raptors. The Raptors are slightly nicer but obviously a bit more money.

They're particularly good if you're tall and slim as there is the long leg length option.

• Tashman
    mrb123 said:

Tashman said:

mrb123 said:

daniel_b said:

mrb123 said:

Went for these tights...

They're particularly good if you're tall and slim as there is the long leg length option.

1m87, 100kg 1 out of 2 isn't bad!
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,422

shortar$e :D long leg has intrigued me - is there a further discount code @mrb123 ?

Is sizing normal?
  • mrb123

shortar$e :D long leg has intrigued me - is there a further discount code @mrb123 ?

Is sizing normal?

You have PM...

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    mrb123 said:

daniel_b said:

mrb123 said:

Went for these tights...

Would also be interested in code - cheers!
  • mrb123
    bigmat said:

mrb123 said:

daniel_b said:

mrb123 said:

Went for these tights...

Would also be interested in code - cheers!
    You have a message.
  • mrb123
    bigmat said:

Cheers mrb123!

You're welcome. Suspect they'll stop that code before long. Doesn't normally work on sale prices. Had a second delivery myself earlier today!
  • A poor week of online bike part purchases.

ChainReaction had some Ultegra cassettes listed at £27. Ordered several, but as with many things in life, if it sounds too good to be true, it is. Order cancelled by them the next day.

Ordered a new chain from Merlin, but I got quite confused with the codes and only realised when a 10spd arrived instead of an 11spd that I thought I’d ordered. That will have to go back. My mistake.

And finally ordered a new saddle from Hargroves. However they charged me £7 extra postage because I now apparently live in ‘Highlands and Islands’. It would have been free postage if I were still living in Surrey, but now I’m in Aberdeen and despite me arguing, they slapped on a surcharge. Very poor as it is being sent with Royal Mail and they should have a flat fee for whole of uk. Will be arguing about this with Hargroves for a while I think. Poor show.

Might start going back to the shops!
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited November 2021
    Garmin Varia RTL515.

https://halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-lights/garmin-varia-rearview-radar-rtl515-438630.html

Halfords had it for £149 I think it was, but randomly dropped the price to £130, and even more randomly (Maybe because it is a light) it apparently does not count as 'tech' and so BC discount can be applied online (Get the code from your BC Dashboard/search for Halfords) plus I was able to charge up a Halfords card I get through work which saves another 8%, and it has tracked through TCB, so it should end up costing me about £103 - pretty happy with that.

Decided to buy it having seen it in action on friends bikes, and feel it will be a useful safety aid with semi frequent commutes.

Supply seems to be a bit odd, when I looked last night it was not available for home delivery, but my chance the store near where I commute came up as an option, so reserved it there for pickup next Tuesday, only to get an e-mail today to say it was already available for collection, so ducked there on the bike at lunch to collect.

Might try and rig it up for the ride home.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • wavefront said:

A poor week of online bike part purchases.

ChainReaction had some Ultegra cassettes listed at £27. Ordered several, but as with many things in life, if it sounds too good to be true, it is. Order cancelled by them the next day.

Ordered a new chain from Merlin, but I got quite confused with the codes and only realised when a 10spd arrived instead of an 11spd that I thought I’d ordered. That will have to go back. My mistake.

And finally ordered a new saddle from Hargroves. However they charged me £7 extra postage because I now apparently live in ‘Highlands and Islands’. It would have been free postage if I were still living in Surrey, but now I’m in Aberdeen and despite me arguing, they slapped on a surcharge. Very poor as it is being sent with Royal Mail and they should have a flat fee for whole of uk. Will be arguing about this with Hargroves for a while I think. Poor show.

Might start going back to the shops!

Not many bike shops around Aberdeen! I had to go to Banchory to get a new front wheel!
  • PMark
    PMark Posts: 159
    edited November 2021
    Just bought a bottom bracket mounted electric motor to turn my MTB into an eMTB. (tongsheng tsdz2 from PSWPower on aliexpress for anyone interested). Should come out around £400 inc VAT. They have stock in the UK, so shouldn't get stung with import fees.

Wanted a project to do over Christmas when the family is round. It it has been getting good reviews online plus you can install Open Source firmware on it, so can easily customise how the motor behaves. It isn't the system for those that like to ghost pedal (which is what you generally see most uber cyclists doing), but make your bike feel a lot lighter, which suits me so I still have to put effort in.
  • wavefront said:

but now I’m in Aberdeen…

Not many bike shops around Aberdeen! I had to go to Banchory to get a new front wheel!
    Ha, I’m actually in Banchory! (Didn’t think folk would know where that was so put Aberdeen). 3 bike shops now in the village and a couple in Ballater so hopefully I’ll be able to get all in need from them from now on.
  • Tashman
    Aldi Cree light set. Certainly seems bright on first inspection.
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2021
    4iiii Ultegra R8000 power crank - £260 at Halfords, but I get 8% discount through work, though sadly the BC discount cannot be applied - after cashback works out at around £232, a reasonable saving on the one I have now returned to PBK.

Likewise a R7000 4iiii as well, Halfords have it for £225 currently, and after 8% discount and TCB cashback it should weight in at bang on £200.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2021
    I finally caved in and have ordered 1 pair of Free race aero shorts from Sigma, who are now on TCB - should weigh in at nearly half price, circa £84, instead of the £160 RRP.

I use and love the Omloops and Sorpasso bibtights, so will be intrigued to see how these compare to the other mainstream shorts I use.

Also bought a 2nd Ravemen PR1600 (Currently running a 1200 and a 1600) from Tredz through TCB and with the £5 off code, will weigh in at just over £90. Gather you can use one wireless remote to control a pair of them, so that could prove very useful for both road and off road riding.
    I can also then fit the 1200 to my gf's winter bike which doesn't get used a whole lot to be honest.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    edited November 2021
    Quite a bit of stuff, but nothing too exciting.
    • brake cable
    • Park tool cable cutters
    • tin endcaps
    • brake outer
    • topeak nanotorq bar (6 Nm) & torqbox (5 Nm)
    • headset bearings
    • Endura road overshoes
    • merino liner gloves
    • Michelin Power All Season (25mm)
    Of these, the tyre has replaced a Conti GP4S with 5000 km and a cut through the carcass that led to two punctures in a week. I was going to get another GP4S, but, at the time, they seemed to be nowhere in stock and at a decent price. I am already regretting the purchase. While the Michelin is meant to be a newer version, and a slight improvement on the old ones, I'm not feeling it. It feels... not great.

Oh, well, I guess it's still alright if grip's fine and punctures are uncommon, as the purpose of the tyre is to get me commuting through the Scottish winter.
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2021
    Interesting on the Michelins - I used to like the Pro Race 3s (I think hey were called) but they just cut up too quickly, and ended up with loads of tears in the tread that were just too big - I appreciate yours is a different type of tyre, presumably a Conti 4 seasons alternative from what you say.

I've never tried that tyre, using 4000s and 5000s for the summer months, and for the last 6 years have been using 25mm Durano Pluses for winter and commuting, but from next year will be switching to Schwalbe Marathon Supremes in a 40mm width - it would seem they are pretty fairy resistant as well, but roll better.

What is it specifically that you don't get on with the Michelin AS tyres?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Not bargainous in anyway, £136 for a 2021 helmet, but noticed the 2022 range is devoid of any black and yellow ones, so thought I had better get one while I could.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    daniel_b said:

Interesting on the Michelins - I used to like the Pro Race 3s (I think hey were called) but they just cut up too quickly, and ended up with loads of tears in the tread that were just too big - I appreciate yours is a different type of tyre, presumably a Conti 4 seasons alternative from what you say.

I've never tried that tyre, using 4000s and 5000s for the summer months, and for the last 6 years have been using 25mm Durano Pluses for winter and commuting, but from next year will be switching to Schwalbe Marathon Supremes in a 40mm width - it would seem they are pretty fairy resistant as well, but roll better.

What is it specifically that you don't get on with the Michelin AS tyres?

The Power AS rear feels slow & dead, as if it wasn't properly inflated. I can't quantify this, and it may be a placebo effect, but my head tells me it feels worse than the GP4S it replaced. Which in turn felt worse than the Pro4 Endurance v2 it replaced.

The point of these tyres is surviving winter, where a puncture far from home/the office means misery, and where a bit of extra grip is worth more than 5W of rolling resistance. Otherwise, I would have gotten something faster. It's just that I can't help but miss smooth rolling tyres.
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2021
    I'm hoping with riding regular miles on the Duranos on a pannier laden bike, that when I actually get the chance in March or April to ride a light bike with fast tyres, it will feel phenomenal - that's what I am hanging onto!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    Been after the jacket/jersey for a while:

Socks were an after thought.

Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Can't quite believe I spent ~£300 at Merlin last night, thank goodness I'll get some back via birthday and Xmas money! :o

Went a size bigger (so XL) for a pair of the Castelli Aero Race 4 bibs, as I've been impressed with the L Endurance 3s bought in September
    2x Marathon Supremes (32 and 40mm) as I've been impressed with the 35mm bought in the summer
    Time road and MTB cleat replacements
    Miche Primato 11-34 cassette as a spare, cheaper than the Shimano, curious how it performs
    Replacement 9-speed KMC chain for Marasa
    6 x "Secret Training" blackcurrant tab packs on offer at £2.50 each

Initially was only going to buy one Supreme tyre, but after redeeming a £275+ loyalty voucher, Merlin then decided to tell me that I couldn't use the voucher with the ~£42 Giro Foray yellow helmet included in the order, so had to place two orders and spend more. :'(
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • 2 Moon meteor front lights, about £20 on wiggle , seem well made, good strap, brightness and battery life.
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    One brass nipple for my bent pro lite wheels - supplied & fitted by the top dude in one of the lbs's.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    edited December 2021
    Could equally go in the "Fettling" thread (just finished building it) ; Crosslight 5 disc frameset, GRX groupset, DCR wheels... Winter commuter (need to add mudguards) / Summer gravel ride

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Any tips on cycle vouchers? About to apply for my first one. Do you go big first time and gradually spend it over a few months? Or apply for a voucher every time you need something? Pretty green here
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2021
    seanoconn said:

Any tips on cycle vouchers? About to apply for my first one. Do you go big first time and gradually spend it over a few months? Or apply for a voucher every time you need something? Pretty green here

@seanoconn are you talking about a cycle2work style voucher?

If so, my scheme needed me to put in the price and description of each item I was going for, and then issued the voucher based on that - surprisingly I didn't need to provide an official quote, although I could easily have done so.

You can't gradually spend it to the best of my knowledge, though some bike shops might allow you to keep some credit potentially - that would actually be really good, if you found a really good bikeshop that would allow you to keep the voucher value on your account as it were, you could just dip into it through the year.

Once you get the voucher, the money will start coming out of your next salary payment, and so on for in total 12 months - my provider allows me to extend the hire arrangement for a further 4 years, so if i have to pay anything at the end it will be negligible, or possibly nothing.
    I applied for my current voucher in November this year, and it was authorised a few days ago, I'll be able to apply for a new one in November 2022 (Which I may do to try and get hold of a groupset), after the 12th deduction has come out of my salary.

I'd be surprised if you are allowed to apply for one every few months, I'm pretty sure you are tied in for 12 months, and that is your one agreement irrespective of amount used - does your company have a limit?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    daniel_b said:

seanoconn said:

@seanoconn are you talking about a cycle2work style voucher?

If so, my scheme needed me to put in the price and description of each item I was going for, and then issued the voucher based on that - surprisingly I didn't need to provide an official quote, although I could easily have done so.

You can't gradually spend it to the best of my knowledge, though some bike shops might allow you to keep some credit potentially - that would actually be really good, if you found a really good bikeshop that would allow you to keep the voucher value on your account as it were, you could just dip into it through the year.

Once you get the voucher, the money will start coming out of your next salary payment, and so on for in total 12 months - my provider allows me to extend the hire arrangement for a further 4 years, so if i have to pay anything at the end it will be negligible, or possibly nothing.
    I applied for my current voucher in November this year, and it was authorised a few days ago, I'll be able to apply for a new one in November 2022 (Which I may do to try and get hold of a groupset), after the 12th deduction has come out of my salary.

I'd be surprised if you are allowed to apply for one every few months, I'm pretty sure you are tied in for 12 months, and that is your one agreement irrespective of amount used - does your company have a limit?
    Doh, yes cycle to work vouchers, sorry. Thanks very much daniel, that’s cleared a lot of questions up nicely. My company doesn’t have a limit but no idea how much they are likely to approve, or if that would even be an issue. One voucher a year, got it 👍 I’m guessing you apply for the voucher and hope the bike/accessories you need is still in stock once authorised?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי