alloy XC wheels for general use?

XC wheels with rim weights 390- 400 gms 32 /28 double butted spokes , would such a wheel be too flimsy for trouble free off road day rides ? No jumps bike park stuff etc just byways and bridleway exploring.
DT Swiss give the max load for such rims as 110kg which leaves plenty in reserve as I am not about to go touring on my mtb. But do such wheels frequently need truing ? The tracks I ride on are mostly chalk so often hard and rubbly.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,704
    I have some Stans Crest rims which are a bit lighter than the ones you suggest, and they're not great. They were difficult to build and true, and I have little confidence in them, so they've gone onto my gravel bike rather than on a mountain bike. With a good build, for byways and bridleways they'll be fine, but they are pretty flimsy.
  • I have some Stans Crest rims which are a bit lighter than the ones you suggest, and they're not great. They were difficult to build and true, and I have little confidence in them, so they've gone onto my gravel bike rather than on a mountain bike. With a good build, for byways and bridleways they'll be fine, but they are pretty flimsy.

Thanks, that's usefull to know, I see they're about 340gms for a 27.5.