RS11 Upgrade To Mavic Ksyrium SLS

Hi all, I have an Avanti Corsa SL1 running an Ultegra 11 speed group set with some stock Shimano RS11's. I use it for commuting and for general fitness and some longer rides. I am looking to upgrade to increase my speed a bit along with comfort as I look towards extending my rides and think some Ksyrium SLS might fit the bill. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    What are you hoping that the new wheels will do? Are you hoping they will feel lighter? Let you go faster for the same effort?
  • singleton said:

What are you hoping that the new wheels will do? Are you hoping they will feel lighter? Let you go faster for the same effort?

Yeah both, and be a bit more comfortable on road. The roads are generally quite rough here in New Zealand. I generally ride flat to small climbs, less than 500m elevation in a ride.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,128
    Ksyrium SLS will tick the "feel lighter" nicely at c1500grams.

But not the "faster for the same effort" as they are not aero in the slightest.

For that price range, to tick both boxes I would be looking at carbon, unless you ride a substantial amount of time riding in the rain (assuming rim brake). Something like Prime (Wiggle CRC) are same sort of price.

With respect to the comfort aspect, just make sure whatever you get has a modern width (19-22mm internal) and pair them with 25-28mm tyres. That will make way more of a difference than one set of wheels or another.
  • I picked up a bit of a deal on some second hand RS80’s yesterday and have incurred them yesterday. Will give them a good go later this week.
  • Fit some decent tyres and inner tubes that are fast rolling and supple. This will make a nice difference.

Bikeauthority.cc
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • Fit some decent tyres and inner tubes that are fast rolling and supple. This will make a nice difference.

Any advice on which ones?

• womack
    womack Posts: 566

Fit some decent tyres and inner tubes that are fast rolling and supple. This will make a nice difference.

The fast rolling ones 😄

• womack said:

Fit some decent tyres and inner tubes that are fast rolling and supple. This will make a nice difference.

The fast rolling ones 😄

So you don’t actually know then? 🤣

• Any advice on which ones?

I don't find this a very easy question to answer as there are so many variables (not trying to be awkward but if you look at my website you'll see that the details matter to me). When asked this question by clients the challenge is always understanding the compromises they are willing to make.

Most people would just answer GP5000 and to be fair they are a safe purchase. They are a very good all round tyre but other tyres excel in ways the GP5000 doesn't.

As for tubes, Conti, Michelin and Specialized all make a tube that comes in at around 65g and isn't insanely priced. There are lighter but they ain't cheap.

Bikeauthority.cc
    IG - bikeauthority.cc

• Any advice on which ones?

I don't find this a very easy question to answer as there are so many variables (not trying to be awkward but if you look at my website you'll see that the details matter to me). When asked this question by clients the challenge is always understanding the compromises they are willing to make.

Most people would just answer GP5000 and to be fair they are a safe purchase. They are a very good all round tyre but other tyres excel in ways the GP5000 doesn't.

As for tubes, Conti, Michelin and Specialized all make a tube that comes in at around 65g and isn't insanely priced. There are lighter but they ain't cheap.

Thanks. Sad as it may be, I’m always looking for marginal gains.