A few questions about Ceramicspeed Threadfit T45...

Greetings,
I recently purchased a used 2016 Colnago C60 with Campy Record in it. As there seems to be an undetermined number of kilometres on it, I decided to take the cranks off and inspect the BB just to make sure things were clean and well greased.

I was surprised to see that the sleeve that connects the two cups was absent. Aside from that, things looked quite clean and well greased. There was a small amount of sand on the bottom of the inside of the BB, likely entering through the cable port.

I was thinking of purchasing a spare Ceramicspeed T45 just to have around, as parts are in short supply. It seems that it takes a special tool, one that Ceramicspeed makes, but it can't be found on on-line bike store websites. Does anyone know if Park makes a compatible tool? I looked on their web site, but they have a lot of different cups, but I didn't see one that was specifically made for the Ceramicspeed/Campagnolo BB.

Cheers, JP

Comments

• I bought a Shimano version of the CS BB for my C60 from wiggle and the tool came with it. Only plastic, but fine for removing the existing cups and fitting the new CS ones. You’ll need a Torque Wrench that works in both directions to get the correct torque on the BB when you fit it.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Have you considered a c-bear bottom bracket for half the price? Got them on both my C60 and Concept (Rotor cranks with 30mm spindle). They do a Campag version that will fit.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    Why would you want to buy a Ceramicspeed product? Regular bearings are better and cheaper for bike applications. Buy a cheaper BB with good quality normal steel sealed bearings.
  • jaredpurdy1960
    jaredpurdy1960 Posts: 20
    edited November 2021
    siddy1972 said:

I bought a Shimano version of the CS BB for my C60 from wiggle and the tool came with it. Only plastic, but fine for removing the existing cups and fitting the new CS ones. You’ll need a Torque Wrench that works in both directions to get the correct torque on the BB when you fit it.

Good lord, finally some mature and normal replies!! I asked the same question over on Road Bike Review and the replies that got were just ridiculous. Bordering on insulting, completely immature. Trolls, actually, all over questions about a bloody BB!! They likened it to "cork sniffing", slammed the company and so forth. Wow.

Thanks for the reply. I do have a Park TW-6.2 torque wrench so I'm good to go. I've ordered the BB from totalcycling.com and according to tracking updates, it's arrived in Canada and it's just clearing customs. I'm going to keep it as a spare as the one that's on the bike is fine.
  • wongataa said:

Why would you want to buy a Ceramicspeed product? Regular bearings are better and cheaper for bike applications. Buy a cheaper BB with good quality normal steel sealed bearings.

The Ceramic Speed BB comes complete: cups and bearings. I've already ordered it. I'm not necessarily of the opinion that ceramic is better for this application, it's likely overkill. If they were steel, I'd be fine that but, but they are what they are.
  • Have you considered a c-bear bottom bracket for half the price? Got them on both my C60 and Concept (Rotor cranks with 30mm spindle). They do a Campag version that will fit.

Thanks for the heads up. I've never heard of that brand. However, the money is already spent. They've arrived and are with Canada Customs until they are picked up by Canada Post.
  • wongataa said:

The Ceramic Speed BB comes complete: cups and bearings. I've already ordered it. I'm not necessarily of the opinion that ceramic is better for this application, it's likely overkill. If they were steel, I'd be fine that but, but they are what they are.
    This is the exact reason I got one too (and the same logic), ceramic is neither here nor there, but it’s the only option I could find with the bearing already pressed into the T45 cups.
    I had been using Shimano BBs into the original T45 cups, but they repeatedly developed a click after a while. So far- the CS has been silent, it’s a year old now so fingers crossed.

• siddy1972 said:

wongataa said:

This is the exact reason I got one too (and the same logic), ceramic is neither here nor there, but it’s the only option I could find with the bearing already pressed into the T45 cups.
    I had been using Shimano BBs into the original T45 cups, but they repeatedly developed a click after a while. So far- the CS has been silent, it’s a year old now so fingers crossed.

I'm not sure how many kms are on this bike (I asked and as there were two previous owners and their estimations are all over the map), and that's why I wanted a spare. Since buying it I've put in about 300kms, and it rides beautifully. The chain shows zero wear with the Park chain wear checker and the chain rings are in excellent condition.

I removed the cranks and cleaned out the BB area, including the cups and reassembled. Every thing is A okay. With the Campy 2015-2018 Ultra Torque crank set the bearings need to be removed from the cups and and installed on the crank axels and then assembled. At least that's how I understand it having watched numerous videos.