BREXIT - Is This Really Still Rumbling On? 😴

Comments

• john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965

I'm still not clear that the sovereignty to decide our own 'sausage' rules is more important than the ability to buy and sell 'sausages' in 31 countries, worth sacrificing our 'sausage' industries for or having a 'sausage' border in the British Isles

I have bought food in a lot of European supermarkets over the last twenty years. At no point have I seen a large selection of UK sausages on offer. Is it fair to say this was not a big export market for us prior to leaving.
  • john80 said:

From the speech Starner made yesterday- under the theme of 'Make Brexit Work'

Don't think it is a vote winner though and goes against his more sensible policy of staying clear of all things Brexit. Still, he is safe though, his speech won't get any news coverage because everyone is busy laughing at Peppa Pig references.
    What is a vote winner?

Sleaze was hitting home. Anything that appears unfair, so Tories looking after Tories e.g. care homes. Not spending enough on the NHS and education is probably another.

What doesn't work is banging on about Brexit or Boris inappropriately mentioning Peppa Pig.
    So how does an opposition attack the government on issues caused by Brexit or put forward an alternative* vision of post Brexit Britain?

Or highlight that the thing that Boris was elected to get done is not in fact done

Do they just not?

*Obviously I'm being generous here by suggesting this Gov has a vision
    The answer is that it is very difficult to go to the electorate and be pro remain. The reason for this is essentially the flip of Brexit. We have left and therefore anything significantly less hard than what we currently have will come with conditions you can't get enough people to vote for.

If you transported kier into number ten at best he would spend a couple of months giving ground to individual or group EU nations for little to nothing in return based on his current rhetoric and a significant percentage of the population know this. Essentially Brexit is done and it is a management job of being seen to act in the best interests of the UK as after all it is this group that elects you.
    That's exactly what Starmer said.

Johnson meanwhile just wants conflict for the drama of it.
  • john80

john80 said:

Don't think it is a vote winner though and goes against his more sensible policy of staying clear of all things Brexit. Still, he is safe though, his speech won't get any news coverage because everyone is busy laughing at Peppa Pig references.
    What is a vote winner?

Sleaze was hitting home. Anything that appears unfair, so Tories looking after Tories e.g. care homes. Not spending enough on the NHS and education is probably another.

What doesn't work is banging on about Brexit or Boris inappropriately mentioning Peppa Pig.
    So how does an opposition attack the government on issues caused by Brexit or put forward an alternative* vision of post Brexit Britain?

Or highlight that the thing that Boris was elected to get done is not in fact done

Do they just not?

The answer is that it is very difficult to go to the electorate and be pro remain. The reason for this is essentially the flip of Brexit. We have left and therefore anything significantly less hard than what we currently have will come with conditions you can't get enough people to vote for.

If you transported kier into number ten at best he would spend a couple of months giving ground to individual or group EU nations for little to nothing in return based on his current rhetoric and a significant percentage of the population know this. Essentially Brexit is done and it is a management job of being seen to act in the best interests of the UK as after all it is this group that elects you.

Starmer does not have a coherent answer to the Northern Ireland border. Some of what frost and Johnson are doing is necessary drama.
  • john80 said:

john80 said:

What is a vote winner?

Do they just not?

Starmer does not have a coherent answer to the Northern Ireland border. Some of what frost and Johnson are doing is necessary drama.
    Haha
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215

Starmer does not have it. If labour had balls they'd bin him off in the next 12 months and put someone electable in charge.

It would help that when people like Starmer say they want to help firms to make profits that party members don't go apoplectic.

Who would you replace him with?
    Cummings seems to think Jess Philipps is electable and I think he might have a point
    This surprised me, so I googled and found a tweet where he says she is too London centric. He thinks Labour needs a woman from the midlands. More like Nandy.
    Eh? Jess Phillips represents a Birmingham constituency doesn't she?

I think she's be a good choice but I also think Starmer needs a chance, preferably with the Corbynites put back in their box with the lid nailed firmly shut. Changing a leader before they have had a chance to show what they can do at a GE would seem a bit foolish.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Legit - can you imagine him as PM?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593

Not overly inspiring.
    But more so than BJ.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484

It would be one of the less weird things to happen if he did. I don't know if he'd be any good, but the bar is so low that it's worth a punt.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    rjsterry said:

It would be one of the less weird things to happen if he did. I don't know if he'd be any good, but the bar is so low that it's worth a punt.

If it were a choice between a hard-working, vaguely honest, intelligent & principled politician and Johnson, it wouldn't be a hard choice.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,280

rjsterry said:

If it were a choice between a hard-working, vaguely honest, intelligent & principled politician and Johnson, it wouldn't be a hard choice.
    Have we stopped pretending we all vote for our local MP again? Hard to keep up.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    I can’t see it. I can’t see him motivating people to get out and vote for him.
  • Jezyboy
    Jezyboy Posts: 2,867
    edited November 2021
    I can see him being a lot more appealing to floating voters than Corbyn or possibly Jess Phillips.

If he can make Johnson lose his cool, or make him look like a pathetic clown, then I think Johnson will struggle to motivate voters.

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    john80 said:

I'm still not clear that the sovereignty to decide our own 'sausage' rules is more important than the ability to buy and sell 'sausages' in 31 countries, worth sacrificing our 'sausage' industries for or having a 'sausage' border in the British Isles

I have bought food in a lot of European supermarkets over the last twenty years. At no point have I seen a large selection of UK sausages on offer. Is it fair to say this was not a big export market for us prior to leaving.

I put quotation marks around 'sausages' in the belief that the reader could infer that these were an example product.

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    john80 said:

john80 said:

What is a vote winner?

Do they just not?

Lol
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I can’t see it. I can’t see him motivating people to get out and vote for him.

So you can’t see him winning an election, I think many could picture him as PM putting In a shift, making good honest decisions and being a good representative for the UK on a world stage.
  • briantrumpet

I can’t see it. I can’t see him motivating people to get out and vote for him.

So you can’t see him winning an election, I think many could picture him as PM putting In a shift, making good honest decisions and being a good representative for the UK on a world stage.

I suppose the question is whether his competence/honesty/policies (yeah, I know, what a bizarre idea) will outweigh his lack of charisma/vigour in voters' eyes. He's rather John Majorish.

I would like to think that people are starting to realise that having a 'character' pretending to be a Prime Minister (and doing a very bad job of just pretending) might just be a reason to vote for someone less colourful, though I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.
  • john80

john80 said:

john80 said:

What is a vote winner?

Do they just not?

Lol
    The fact you can't give a starmer methodology is the funny bit. Same applies to Kingston.
  • pblakeney

... He's rather John Majorish.

Good comparison.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    Isn't Gordon Brown a better comparison?
  • john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

What is a vote winner?

Do they just not?

Lol
    The fact you can't give a starmer methodology is the funny bit. Same applies to Kingston.
    Your final sentence is the bit that provoked my laughter.

I'm no Starmer cheerleader.
  • tailwindhome
    john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

What is a vote winner?

Do they just not?

Lol
    That's not the funny bit
  • pblakeney

Isn't Gordon Brown a better comparison?

Nah. He's Scottish. Can't be having that.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • briantrumpet
    If only the Remain argument could have had this chap on their side...

• john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

What is a vote winner?

Do they just not?

Lol
    That's not the funny bit
    Is it the lack of capitalisation on Starmer?
    In which case it should be Starmer Methodology ;)

either way it seems a strange thing to criticse him for
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    edited November 2021
    Seeing as this is effectively the "I don't understand Northern Ireland" thread, I'd like to add that the NI power market is crazy. NI has a larger connection capacity with GB than ROI (which also has a larger connection capacity with GB than NI), so who decided it was a good idea to create one market especially when that market is now priced in a foreign currency?
  • pblakeney
    It'll make the transition easier in the future. 😉🤔
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • john80
    edited November 2021

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

What is a vote winner?

Do they just not?

Lol
    That's not the funny bit

If you boys want to vote for starmer when he cannot give a coherent game plan then crack on. Just seems a bit inconsistent with the general Tory bashing that goes on when you say they don't have a plan.
  • john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

What is a vote winner?

Do they just not?

Lol
    That's not the funny bit

If you boys want to vote for starmer when he cannot give a coherent game plan then crack on. Just seems a bit inconsistent with the general Tory bashing that goes on when you say they don't have a plan.
    Have you read or heard his speech?
  • john80

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

What is a vote winner?

Do they just not?

Lol
    That's not the funny bit

Boris or Starmers. Starmer is yet to come up with a credible Northern Irish solution. If you think otherwise feel free to post up a link to this plan.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,280
    edited November 2021
    john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

john80 said:

What is a vote winner?

Do they just not?

Lol
    That's not the funny bit

Boris or Starmers. Starmer is yet to come up with a credible Northern Irish solution. If you think otherwise feel free to post up a link to this plan.
    It's not Starmers fault there isn't a straightforward solution.

You can't 5hit the bed then complain that nobody has a perfect solution for cleaning it up without changing the sheets.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono