wednesday stuffed with widgeon

'ning

ride, cafes, wfh, head over to deepest w1 for couple of days for art deco city break, park strolls, cafes, waving to ducks, bubbly
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Same old same old of hounds, work, run and pub avoidance. The thing is Wednesday nights are normally much fun in the local 🙄
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195
    What is it with the Londoners and duck ponds?
    What's with spaffer?

[There's a connection there somewhere]

Frikkin dull and frikkin chilly this morning. Will go sand filler and maybe paint a bit more. Little cupboard with boiler. At least it dries quickly but access is siht.

ABS warning light to fix on Porker. That might be 'fun'.
    Squeeze Zoom meeting in at 12.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    pinno said:

ABS warning light to fix on Porker. That might be 'fun'.
    Squeeze Zoom meeting in at 12.

I had that last year, turned out to be a speed sensor. B@stard to get at then the stupid thing snapped. 30min job turned into 4 hours. Good luck 👍
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    If the job takes me 4 hours I would be happy.

If it is the ABS pump, i'll need to source a Mercedes W124 one and bastardise it for the valve and somehow extract the old one (which is behind the offside wing), if it's the ABS ECU, i'll have to source a Merc 190E one, if it's a sensor or sensors, i'll be forking out £114 each and it it's a relay, i'll be looking at something iro £110.

However... if the brake pad sensors are dodgy or have dodgy connections, that might be the source of the problem as the warning system works in parallel. Cross fingers.

And if it's a fuse :smile:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    pinno said:

What is it with the Londoners and duck ponds?
    What's with spaffer?

he certainly needs ducking, about thirty minutes under, just to be certain

my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,410
    Morning. Dull as ditchwater here. Grey skies abound. WFL today. Eye now fixed so I can drive again. Back on the bike tomorrow (I hope)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    edited November 2021
    pinno said:

If it is the ABS pump, i'll need to source a Mercedes W124 one and bastardise it for the valve and somehow extract the old one (which is behind the offside wing), if it's the ABS ECU, i'll have to source a Merc 190E one, if it's a sensor or sensors, i'll be forking out £114 each and it it's a relay, i'll be looking at something iro £110.

However... if the brake pad sensors are dodgy or have dodgy connections, that might be the source of the problem as the warning system works in parallel. Cross fingers.

Aren't ABS ECUs programmed for each car, so can't be swapped from one vehicle to another?*
    There are ABS pump repair/rebuilders if that helps https://ecutesting.com/

*without being reprogrammed at the dealers
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,161
    Busy trying to do some real work while listening in on 2 day long virtual finance conference. Thrilling, but at least I don't need to present or say anything. They've divided the participants up into clusters, but I think they are missing another word after that.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    Just ordered a 1,000 litres of oil and was rather upset on the price my mate quoted me. Cheered up when I asked for 1,700 litres and he told me to feckoff as he was making no money on it
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    Yo, morning in the woods eating burgers, health and safety meeting this afternoon so took the opportunity to have a kip. Time for a bit of marking now. Weather is still beaut.
  • Stevo_666
    tlw1 said:

Just ordered a 1,000 litres of oil and was rather upset on the price my mate quoted me. Cheered up when I asked for 1,700 litres and he told me to feckoff as he was making no money on it

We'll have to do that soon to avoid the Christmas rush. No a cheap heating option is it.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1
    Stevo_666 said:

tlw1 said:

We'll have to do that soon to avoid the Christmas rush. No a cheap heating option is it.
    Swings and roundabouts but mostly slides 😂
  • Apologies for the late start. Been sat in a room with other people, pens, calculators and and mince pies.
    One person (my dad) said, regarding a sign pinned to our side of a fence "just unscrew it and throw it back over"

I chuckled quietly to myself.

Need to pick up some duck on the way home for dinner.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pinno
    masjer said:

pinno said:

Aren't ABS ECUs programmed for each car, so can't be swapped from one vehicle to another?*

@masjer

No. ABS ECU's are set. ECU's aren't some sort of magical box of tricks.
    The main aspects to the ECU in question are:
    1. The wheel hubs have teeth. A sensor picks up the movement of the teeth.
    2. The end of the sensor is an electrical coil. When the hub moves past the coil, this creates a nominal current. On my car's ABS it's 4-5V.
    3. When the wheel stops under braking even momentarily, the ABS kicks in because that sensor is not creating a current.
    4. The lack of current triggers a relay switch. The switch in the relay triggers a valve in the ABS pump which will momentarily stops brake fluid from going to that wheel. In fact, the valve oscillates so that brake fluid pressure is interrupted to all wheels - x times per second. If you isolated 1 wheel, the car would not brake in a straight (or steerable) line.

So the 190e ECU operation is identical to the Porsche 944. It's a Bosch system with a Bosch relay, pump and Bosch wheel sensors.

In diagnosing the problem, you have a fuse in the fuse box, 4 sensors, a relay, brake lines and an ABS pump and electrical connections to join it all up.
    It also runs in parallel with the brake pad sensors and brake fluid level because if there was any compromise to the pads or fluid, then mechanically, the ABS may not work so it is designed to illuminate the warning light on the dash.

This means that I need to isolate the fault or faults on both the braking operation (pads, pad sensors, fuse, relay, connectors, earths) and the ABS system.

If all the above works, the warning light will go out until the ABS kicks in under heavy braking. If the valve in the pump is defective (there are also seals that fail), then the warning light will come back on and stay on.

Once I get the light to go out after starting the engine, I can soon work out if the pump is defective or not.

Now, there are some pretty complex ABS systems that require programming but to the make, not each individual car. Mine is not one of them.
    To finish, for the 944, the cost is £844 for an exchange pump. I would have to give whoever the whole car to diagnose the fault as there are other causes as I have illustrated.
    I can get a 190e ECU tested and working for iro £100 and the pump for iro £60 to extract the valve if it is defective.
    'O' rings, I have a plethora of them.

If you cannot fix a 944 yourself, then it is totally un-economical to have and run.
    There's Zero satisfaction in getting someone else to do that sort of job (for me).
  • masjer
    masjer Posts: 2,512
    I had an ABS pump fail just before an MOT- it was a traction control fault. Due to time restraints, I removed the instrument cluster and taped over the warning light. It passed.
    I was quoted £1500 for a new pump, so a rebuild was the best option.
    I think the reprogramming thing is also an age thing.
    Anyway, good luck, fingers crossed it's something simple (and cheap).
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    Evening folks,
    Rubbish day in the office, going to the pub now.
    How difficult is it to take the abs warning bulb out?
  • Stevo_666
    A lot of the above stuff an be avoided by buying a car that's not from the stone age...
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

A lot of the above stuff an be avoided by buying a car that's not from the stone age because there's no way I have the skills to fox it...

FTFY

• pinno

You need it. Well, I want the assurance of it being there. I could do that for the MOT but I want it working.
  • pinno
    oxoman said:

Have fun sorting it.

I will have the satisfaction of sorting it.

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    pinno said:

You need it. Well, I want the assurance of it being there. I could do that for the MOT but I want it working.
    If you ignore the warning light for long enough sometimes they get bored and go away.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

A lot of the above stuff an be avoided by buying a car that's not from the stone age because there's no way I have the skills to fox it...

FTFY

You know why I listened at school... ;)
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

A lot of the above stuff an be avoided by buying a car that's not from the stone age because there's no way I have the skills to fix it...

FTFY

You know how much fun your 205 or your Evo was.
    Both are 'stone age' on your books.

To me, 'stone age' is Vintage.

• tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    pinno said:

masjer said:

pinno said:

@masjer

No. ABS ECU's are set. ECU's aren't some sort of magical box of tricks.
    The main aspects to the ECU in question are:
    1. The wheel hubs have teeth. A sensor picks up the movement of the teeth.
    2. The end of the sensor is an electrical coil. When the hub moves past the coil, this creates a nominal current. On my car's ABS it's 4-5V.
    3. When the wheel stops under braking even momentarily, the ABS kicks in because that sensor is not creating a current.
    4. The lack of current triggers a relay switch. The switch in the relay triggers a valve in the ABS pump which will momentarily stops brake fluid from going to that wheel. In fact, the valve oscillates so that brake fluid pressure is interrupted to all wheels - x times per second. If you isolated 1 wheel, the car would not brake in a straight (or steerable) line.

So the 190e ECU operation is identical to the Porsche 944. It's a Bosch system with a Bosch relay, pump and Bosch wheel sensors.

In diagnosing the problem, you have a fuse in the fuse box, 4 sensors, a relay, brake lines and an ABS pump and electrical connections to join it all up.
    It also runs in parallel with the brake pad sensors and brake fluid level because if there was any compromise to the pads or fluid, then mechanically, the ABS may not work so it is designed to illuminate the warning light on the dash.

This means that I need to isolate the fault or faults on both the braking operation (pads, pad sensors, fuse, relay, connectors, earths) and the ABS system.

If all the above works, the warning light will go out until the ABS kicks in under heavy braking. If the valve in the pump is defective (there are also seals that fail), then the warning light will come back on and stay on.

Once I get the light to go out after starting the engine, I can soon work out if the pump is defective or not.

Now, there are some pretty complex ABS systems that require programming but to the make, not each individual car. Mine is not one of them.
    To finish, for the 944, the cost is £844 for an exchange pump. I would have to give whoever the whole car to diagnose the fault as there are other causes as I have illustrated.
    I can get a 190e ECU tested and working for iro £100 and the pump for iro £60 to extract the valve if it is defective.
    'O' rings, I have a plethora of them.

If you cannot fix a 944 yourself, then it is totally un-economical to have and run.
    There's Zero satisfaction in getting someone else to do that sort of job (for me).
    Only just finished reading your other list.

• Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

A lot of the above stuff an be avoided by buying a car that's not from the stone age because there's no way I have the skills to fix it...

FTFY

They weren't when I owned them...
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

FTFY

Well that is an open goal.
    But I shall resist.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

FTFY

Well that is an open goal.
    But I shall resist.
    No it's not. Give it a go..
  • pinno
    Okay...
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

FTFY

But that is because you are that old.
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Okay...

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

FTFY

Has Rick hacked your account? He's obsessed with people older than him. Except you're really not far behind :smile:
  • pinno
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Okay...

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

FTFY

Has Rick hacked your account? He's obsessed with people older than him. Except you're really not far behind :smile:
    Oi, you are older than me.

Rick isn't obsessed, he is possessed.