Energy Suppliers? Dull but Necessary

Hi all,
My fixed BG deal comes to an end in Jan 2022 so they are inviting me to renew on a new deal. Would be around £170 per month fixed until April 2023 for dual fuel. Currently paying £110 per month for similar.

Should I bite their hand off or are there any better deals out there?
(I know it is a tediously dull topic but pennies saved means more to spend on bikes 'n bits)

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

Comments

• lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I know this forum is great for all sorts of things but in this case I think you will get more reliable information from a few comparison web sites.
    Even if E ON offer to supply for free do not touch them with a barge pole.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    lesfirth said:

Why? On an E.OnNext deal and, so far, all cool.

Wider. Check moneysavingexpert's Energy Club. Though latest comms from them I read was along lines of market in chaos, stay where you are just now not leave mid contract or whatever. Doesn't help you with imminent contract end...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Last advice is do NOT sign up to a deal. The cheapest deal is non-deal variable which is capped at £1277 (£106/month) average by the government. DYOR.

https://www.moneysupermarket.com/gas-and-electricity/energy-price-cap/
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    I got lucky and changed just before it all went mad. Would recommend Octopus on the basis of my dealings so far (only a couple of months though and single fuel.), but even they are recommending staying with your current supplier and not signing up for a fixed deal as PB posted above.

It depends on whether you think some sanity may return to the energy market or not. If it does and you've signed up on a deal at the moment? Well the Energy Company will love you, but your wallet will won't.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,509
    Wholesale prices are forecast to drops to something like normality after winter. Note this is still a lot higher than 2020.
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Still not sorted anything and im defaulted on to EDFs capped variable rate. Despite wholesale costs the standing charge is pretty much higher than the cost of gas used.
    I Tried British Gas and they quoted nearly twice my current price.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    Octopus are good, but go variable until after the winter. Don't fix now.
  • pblakeney
    Top tip. Make sure what ever deals you eventually get end in the summer.
    A much better time to renew.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    orraloon said:

lesfirth said:

Why? On an E.OnNext deal and, so far, all cool.

Wider. Check moneysavingexpert's Energy Club. Though latest comms from them I read was along lines of market in chaos, stay where you are just now not leave mid contract or whatever. Doesn't help you with imminent contract end...
    The problems start when they f up and you have to contact customer services. Forget E mails ,they do not answer them. Listen to music on the phone for ages and eventually give up. When you dont give up and are determined to get thru ,then the phone line eventually goes dead. If you do get to talk to some one , they will tell you they will sort your problem ,but nothing will happen and you are back at square one. With a bit of luck when you are answering their endless phone menu systems ,you will be asked if there are children or old people in the property. Answer Yes. If you don't have any ,invent some ( preferably disabled). You then get a bit better service.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215

I've been with them a few years. They're pretty good but seem incapable of working out that my winter usage is much higher than summer so I end up with 6 months paying way too much based on winter use and then getting a refund when the usage drops off in summer.

It's also a bit of a pain that they rely entirely on you reading the meter for them, it feels like I've only just sent a reading when I get an email saying the next one is due. It would be OK if this gave me really accurate predicted usage but, as above, it doesn't.
  • Pross said:

I've been with them a few years. They're pretty good but seem incapable of working out that my winter usage is much higher than summer so I end up with 6 months paying way too much based on winter use and then getting a refund when the usage drops off in summer.

It's also a bit of a pain that they rely entirely on you reading the meter for them, it feels like I've only just sent a reading when I get an email saying the next one is due. It would be OK if this gave me really accurate predicted usage but, as above, it doesn't.
    At least you get to spin the wheel
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Pross said:

Spent 8 years with British Gas. “It will even out after the 1st year but it never did.” Eventually switched to a smart meter which was even worse. Makes you poorer in winter with a huge swing between bills.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Has anyone ever won a discount on that?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Pross said:

Pross said:

I won about £1.50 on my business electricity a couple of years ago!
    Our payments vs useable with them at home are pretty close, and you can choose whether or not to accept their recommendations. I do have a spreadsheet with historic meter readings going back about 8 years so always work out our average annual useage using that. I then can put in the current tariff rates to work out roughly what the monthly payment should be.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,237
    edited November 2021
    I found Bristol Energy via an aggregator and they seem to be a good balance between cheaper than the big energy players and good on the customer services side.

It's a not for profit venture with Bristol council as one of the ventures, where profits are put back into Bristol. That's all fine, but the main point is they have quite strict rules about providing value to customers.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484

Pross said:

Pross said:

Our payments vs useable with them at home are pretty close, and you can choose whether or not to accept their recommendations. I do have a spreadsheet with historic meter readings going back about 8 years so always work out our average annual useage using that. I then can put in the current tariff rates to work out roughly what the monthly payment should be.
    Have smart meters not made it to South Wales/Dorset?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Octopus don't appear to like smart meters. They ask for readings. Don't know why.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    edited November 2021
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Octopus don't appear to like smart meters. They ask for readings. Don't know why.
    Transferred to Octopus a few months back and was already on a smart meter. Didn't appear to be an issue at all. My meters are at the back of the understairs cupboard so a massive PITA to read every month. Needed one manual reading at switch over, presumably as a check that they had the right meter assigned to the account. Not had any issues with the meter at all.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Dorset_Boy
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

I had a smart meter put in my office. I then changed supplier and it wasn't compatible with their smart meter system. Utter waste of money by supplier 1.
    Our meter at home is very inaccessible (due to the ASHP infrastructure) and so would be really, really awkward to change.
  • Pross
    edited November 2021
    rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

I signed up to get one but then didn't respond when they contacted me to say they were in the area. My own fault plus I'm still a little bit dubious about smart meters after some bad press in the past. As Oxoman said I don't understand why they are touted as ways of saving money, anyone with an ounce of sense will know what appliances are heavy power users (in my case a couple of oil filled radiators in the conservatory and converted garage, the latter being where my office is so gets used more than I'd like).
  • Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

I signed up to get one but then didn't respond when they contacted me to say they were in the area. My own fault plus I'm still a little bit dubious about smart meters after some bad press in the past. As Oxoman said I don't understand why they are routed as ways of saving money, anyone with an ounce of sense will know what appliances are heavy power users (in my case a couple of oil filled radiators in the conservatory and converted garage, the latter being where my office is so gets used more than I'd like).
    There are a lot of people who can not weigh in an ounce of common sense. I think the theory is that the smart meter shows them how wasteful they are being.
  • pblakeney
    rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Transferred to Octopus a few months back and was already on a smart meter. Didn't appear to be an issue at all. My meters are at the back of the understairs cupboard so a massive PITA to read every month. Needed one manual reading at switch over, presumably as a check that they had the right meter assigned to the account. Not had any issues with the meter at all.
    Strange as I too transferred in June and I too have smart meters. Octopus ask for readings. Doesn't bother me but I cannot see the point in smart meters other than it saves looking at a couple of numbers once a month. In fact I'm just going to unplug it as it is using energy. 🤣
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rjsterry
    pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

pblakeney said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Strange as I too transferred in June and I too have smart meters. Octopus ask for readings. Doesn't bother me but I cannot see the point in smart meters other than it saves looking at a couple of numbers once a month. In fact I'm just going to unplug it as it is using energy. 🤣
    In my case it saves emptying everything out from under the stairs to access the meter. I also don't have to remind myself to submit readings. I'm a fairly frugal user as well, but it's sometimes useful to see what appliances push our use into the orange.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• TheBigBean
    Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

I signed up to get one but then didn't respond when they contacted me to say they were in the area. My own fault plus I'm still a little bit dubious about smart meters after some bad press in the past. As Oxoman said I don't understand why they are touted as ways of saving money, anyone with an ounce of sense will know what appliances are heavy power users (in my case a couple of oil filled radiators in the conservatory and converted garage, the latter being where my office is so gets used more than I'd like).
    A smart meter will eventually offer more options for time of use tariffs. At the moment, a lot of people might charge their car when they come home from work as this will cost the same as charging it at night. With a smart meter, consumers should be able to save by charging at night. Likewise, it might discourage using a washing machine during the really peak hours. Taken to the extreme, freezers don't need to operate at peak hours either.
  • Pross

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

A smart meter will eventually offer more options for time of use tariffs. At the moment, a lot of people might charge their car when they come home from work as this will cost the same as charging it at night. With a smart meter, consumers should be able to save by charging at night. Likewise, it might discourage using a washing machine during the really peak hours. Taken to the extreme, freezers don't need to operate at peak hours either.
    Didn't know electricity always used to be charged less overnight? I thought that was the reasoning behind Economy 7 heating.
  • TheBigBean
    Pross said:

Pross said:

rjsterry said:

Pross said:

Pross said:

Didn't know electricity always used to be charged less overnight? I thought that was the reasoning behind Economy 7 heating.
    Yes if you have a meter that is capable of it, but only between the fixed times it is set up to meter separately. A smart meter adds a lot more possibilities and for everyone.
  • TheBigBean
    The winter peak between 4pm and 9pm is very costly.

• pblakeney
    Pross said:

Pross said:

I just won £1. Woohoo!
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Dorset_Boy
    Don't spend it all at once PB!
  • pblakeney

Don't spend it all at once PB!

I'll string out out by getting a banana a day. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote: