DIY advice: lining ceiling of turbo cave

I have a turbo cave currently covered with exposed foil insulation. It's fine, and works but aesthetically it's a bit UFO conspiracy for me. I don't particularly want to go the whole hog to batten and dryline/plasterboard the ceiling so I was looking for some alternatives. One thing I was thinking is plain white breathable roofing liner that I could staple on to a handleful of battens on top of the foil. Any other alternatives?

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    if its a cave will you not have to sort damp, etc out first?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    You could use Tyvex breathable membrane. It’s white so nice and airy. You can buy it by the meter from here otherwise you can only buy 50 or 100m rolls

https://www.insulationsuperstore.co.uk/product/tyvek-supro-breather-membrane-cut-to-length-1m-wide-price-per-metre.html

I like the sound of the silver room though. Could make it look like you are exercising aboard the ISS !

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,622
    Last thing you need in a pain cave is insulation.
  • tetley10
    tetley10 Posts: 693
    MattFalle said:

Maybe put some steps in to get down there? A window?

• tetley10
    or you could call it a garage.
  • MattFalle
    tetley10 said:

MattFalle said:

this, exactly.

its a cave so first thing I would do after what you have said is sort out any damp, lay proper flooring, safe 'leccy, etc.

tbh, a cave is a pretty rubbish place to do this sort of thing - i'd probably choose a shed/garage/spare room myself.
  • tetley10
    MattFalle said:

tetley10 said:

MattFalle said:

this, exactly.

its a cave so first thing I would do after what you have said is sort out any damp, lay proper flooring, safe 'leccy, etc.

tbh, a cave is a pretty rubbish place to do this sort of thing - i'd probably choose a shed/garage/spare room myself.
    If it was a cave he would need to un some cable down there to run the turbo, i'm assuming it's a new fangled up to date gizmo.

Could run a generator but without the window that would be a problem

• tetley10
    Not sure about wifi in a cave
  • tetley10
    You'll probably struggle to get a big telly in a cave as well. Maybe best to go for a curved screen.
  • MattFalle
    he could make it like an Imax jobbie, projecting constant past re-runs of Lance winning his 7 Tours all around him..

put a huge speaker or ten in there and the sound would go round the cave and out the door like a laser beam of Russian techno.
  • MattFalle
    tetley10 said:

Not sure about wifi in a cave

agree bit he could have dial up and a modem .
  • tetley10
    He would definitely need a sign above the cave entrance (door)

Joey's Cave
  • MattFalle
    tetley10 said:

MattFalle said:

tetley10 said:

MattFalle said:

this, exactly.

If it was a cave he would need to un some cable down there to run the turbo, i'm assuming it's a new fangled up to date gizmo.

i suppose he could park a car in there and run it off the battery.

#options
  • tetley10
    MattFalle said:

tetley10 said:

MattFalle said:

tetley10 said:

MattFalle said:

this, exactly.

#options
    If he does that he is definitely going to need a window, especially as he will be putting in the big efforts on the Turbo. #ventilation

• MattFalle
    overall though, probs much better to have his turbo in some part of his house i reckon. less chance of bats/tigers/pirates hiding in there as well.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Just make sure to cover those distracting paintings of bison being hunted.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • You could use Tyvex breathable membrane. It’s white so nice and airy. You can buy it by the meter from here otherwise you can only buy 50 or 100m rolls

https://www.insulationsuperstore.co.uk/product/tyvek-supro-breather-membrane-cut-to-length-1m-wide-price-per-metre.html

I like the sound of the silver room though. Could make it look like you are exercising aboard the ISS !

This is the sort of thing I was thinking, buying it by the meter also makes it a bit cheaper as I don't need a huge amount. Have you used it before? Has it got any stretch in it so I could get it taught across the battens?
  • photonic69

You could use Tyvex breathable membrane. It’s white so nice and airy. You can buy it by the meter from here otherwise you can only buy 50 or 100m rolls

This is the sort of thing I was thinking, buying it by the meter also makes it a bit cheaper as I don't need a huge amount. Have you used it before? Has it got any stretch in it so I could get it taught across the battens?
    It has no stretch as it is quite dimensionally rigid being a spun polyester type fabric. We have it under our roof tiles. You'll probably get some 'sag' between battens but that depends on the spacing. It would be easier to handle with another pair of hands to do the overhead work.

• MattFalle
    Ben6899 said:

Just make sure to cover those distracting paintings of bison being hunted.

just paint over them. gloss of hammerite will do the job.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    MattFalle said:

tetley10 said:

MattFalle said:

tetley10 said:

MattFalle said:

this, exactly.

#options
    Solar panels outside, big cable run through the roof, battery pack running, feed into the grid and get paid to suffer in the pain cave. Simples.
  • tetley10
    Must be an upmarket cave if it has battens. #poshcave
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,576
    edited November 2021

Interesting, that won't work for my garage as I use the space up in the roof for storage, but it could be useful in our loft to secure onto the rafters, as it did tend to get a bit moist (ooo err) up there.

Having said that, we have just established that the cowboy who fitted the previous extractor decided to 'vent' it down into the soffit, but couldn't be @rsed to actually cut the soffit or fit a vent.

They'd also used a ton of flexible pipe which they hadn't bothered to cut down at all, and had mounted the fan near the loft hatch for their ease of access, but this also elongated the run required.

We've now installed a new fan with solid pipe, with a vent actually over the shower, and cut the soffit at the front and even fitted a vent in it, so this may now eradicate the loft moistness, but I wonder if not completely, whether the membrane you have posted above might help, or is it simply to reduce dust and what have you in the loft space?

My last house had, seemingly, a black version of this stuff stapled across the rafters, and it was definitely significantly cleaner and less dusty than our current place - both 30's houses.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b said:

Interesting, that won't work for my garage as I use the space up in the roof for storage, but it could be useful in our loft to secure onto the rafters, as it did tend to get a bit moist (ooo err) up there.

Having said that, we have just established that the cowboy who fitted the previous extractor decided to 'vent' it down into the soffit, but couldn't be @rsed to actually cut the soffit or fit a vent.

They'd also used a ton of flexible pipe which they hadn't bothered to cut down at all, and had mounted the fan near the loft hatch for their ease of access, but this also elongated the run required.

We've now installed a new fan with solid pipe, with a vent actually over the shower, and cut the soffit at the front and even fitted a vent in it, so this may now eradicate the loft moistness, but I wonder if not completely, whether the membrane you have posted above might help, or is it simply to reduce dust and what have you in the loft space?

My last house had, seemingly, a black version of this stuff stapled across the rafters, and it was definitely significantly cleaner and less dusty than our current place - both 30's houses.
    Yeah, this is where I got the idea as lots of companies who board attic space offer a 'dust free' package which includes something similar
  • MattFalle
    johngti said:

MattFalle said:

tetley10 said:

MattFalle said:

tetley10 said:

MattFalle said:

this, exactly.

#options
    Solar panels outside, big cable run through the roof, battery pack running, feed into the grid and get paid to suffer in the pain cave. Simples.
    huge angle ginder and cut a hole in the top like a volcano.

a pain volcano. now thatsfucking cool.
  • MattFalle
    tetley10 said:

or a really rubbish one that is falling down

#crapcave
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

tetley10 said:

#crapcave
    No, it is like one of the Indiana Jones caves.

#awesomecavewithtreasure
  • My dad knew a chap with the surname ‘Cave-Browne-Cave. Always thought that was a cool surname.
  • First.Aspect
    wavefront said:

My dad knew a chap with the surname ‘Cave-Browne-Cave. Always thought that was a cool surname.

Sounds like a law firm from somewhere in the mid west.
  • photonic69
    wavefront said:

My dad knew a chap with the surname ‘Cave-Browne-Cave. Always thought that was a cool surname.

Reminds me of “Here-Hare-Here” from Withnail. Classic line.

• tetley10

MattFalle said:

tetley10 said:

#crapcave
    No, it is like one of the Indiana Jones caves.

#awesomecavewithtreasure
    No, it is like the cave where Kirk finds Spock.

#awesomespacecave