Ride London 2022

I see that entries go live for this tomorrow for the revised Essex version of the event. I've no idea what the route may be like in that direction. Is anyone able to make an educated guess that knows that part of the world?

Comments

• longy
    longy Posts: 74
    I wondered if it may be similar to the L'Etape London route I did a few years ago that headed into Essex greenery after a soulless grind through north/north east London. I'll see if I can find the route but honestly I swore I'd never do that event again as I hated the route. To be fair it was on open roads so that would have a major impact as it was all stop start through the urban traffic.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Col du Abridge?

Give me strength.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • I did enjoy it the year I got in, possibly the open roads aspect even though it chucked it down the one day in the middle of a heat wave.
    Do I look at it again... Not sure just yet.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Ben6899
    Paying to ride where I ride every couple of weeks doesn't seem like good value to me!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • Ben6899 said:

Paying to ride where I ride every couple of weeks doesn't seem like good value to me!

I really enjoyed it when I did it on the roads I used every week, going fast (for me) and on car free roads makes a big difference.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    I'd be interested to know what the get-out clauses are like. I know they've guaranteed to refund if it's cancelled, but what if a rider has to cancel?

The older I get, the better I was.

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I have just entered - it was meant to open at 10:00, but was available when I checked at 09:50.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • capt_slog
    Same for me. I'm on, as are my two sons.

Hotel booked. :)

• daniel_b
    capt_slog said:

Same for me. I'm on, as are my two sons.

Hotel booked. :)

We don't know where the start is yet do we, or have you gambled?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    I Just entered at 10.20. Assuming my confirmation is for an actual place as opposed to a place in the ballot?
  • daniel_b
    edited November 2021
    Tashman said:

I Just entered at 10.20. Assuming my confirmation is for an actual place as opposed to a place in the ballot?

That's how I understood it, assuming you paid, then the ballot doesn't start until the 10,000 places are filled.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Tashman
    Just surprised it was so easy I guess. Another friend got in too so the site can't be too overwhelmed.
  • capt_slog
    daniel_b said:

Tashman said:

That's how I understood it, assuming you paid, then the ballot doesn't start until the 10,000 places are filled.
    That's correct. If you got one of the first 10,000 places, you're in. The next lot will be on ballot.

It's rumoured that the start/finish is Embankment. I booked a hotel based on the previous Olympic Park start, but Embankment is about the same distance away from the hotel, just opposite direction.

The Mall is likely to be getting ready for the Queens Platinum Jubillee, according to the rumour. :)

• Ben6899
    You'll have a lot of fun in the Essex lanes, I guarantee. I wonder which way they'll take you from Embankment to Essex... north then east, Woodford/Epping or northeast, Stratford/Wanstead.
    Ben

• daniel_b
    edited November 2021
    Ben6899 said:

You'll have a lot of fun in the Essex lanes, I guarantee. I wonder which way they'll take you from Embankment to Essex... north then east, Woodford/Epping or northeast, Stratford/Wanstead.

Having never ridden there I can't tell if that is sarcasm or not :D

The Embankment would be an awesome place to start/finish imo - the Mall I found quite an anticlimax, as I didn't appreciate the finish was coming up, and there was so many people no chance to even try and sprint.
    Right by where I used to work as well in Shellmex House / 80 Strand, so a lot of very fond memories.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Ben6899
    edited November 2021
    daniel_b said:

Ben6899 said:

Having never ridden there I can't tell if that is sarcasm or not :D

The Embankment would be an awesome place to start/finish imo - the Mall I found quite an anticlimax, as I didn't appreciate the finish was coming up, and there was so many people no chance to even try and sprint.
    Right by where I used to work as well in Shellmex House / 80 Strand, so a lot of very fond memories.

Genuinely not sarcasm - Essex is really good riding, albeit a bit flat!

If it starts on the Embankment, then my bet would be going via Bank, A11, A12 Stratford.
    Ben

• Tashman
    Flat sounds good for me, it's the hills that kill me lol
  • To be honest, if you aren't towards the front, anything approaching a hill works like a roadblock so flatter is probably more fun for more people.
  • About time they abandon Surrey, which is completely inadequate for a ride of that size...
    left the forum March 2023
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,454
    I think it was more a case of Surrey (County Council) abandoning Ridelondon
  • longy
    monkimark said:

I think it was more a case of Surrey (County Council) abandoning Ridelondon

It was but... if they insist of putting out 25,000+ riders out in the event, they need to pick roads that will handle the numbers. Some of the roads on the old PRL route simply weren't big enough. Some of the crashes were purely down to far too many people.
  • capt_slog
    I will miss Box Hill, which was always fun. But i generally prefer the flat, too :)

• longy
    I live in the Surrey Hills so all of that part of the old route was on roads I ride all the time. I actually preferred the parts in Central London where it a novelty to cycle with no traffic.
  • longy said:

I live in the Surrey Hills so all of that part of the old route was on roads I ride all the time. I actually preferred the parts in Central London where it a novelty to cycle with no traffic.

Same - riding the first 40km from London in an hour was exhilarating.

Then riding home on closed roads with no other bikes was also good!
  • Tashman
    After multiple early punctures I enjoyed soloing from Hampton Court through to the Surrey Hills with only me on the road. A frustrating start but felt great to start picking off the tail-enders and finish properly well up the big groups at the end. Stop start from Kingston was a little frustrating then though
  • capt_slog
    It appears to be still open for entries, so they haven't reached 10k yet.

• super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,116
    I'm in. As an Essex resident, too good to miss.

And let me assure you Essex is not flat. It will depend on where they route; I think most likely through the lanes towards the north west of the county (towards Saffron Walden) because of where the start is and where will cause the least upheaval. There are no really long hills like in Surrey, but it undulates. Most of my rides average 400ft elevation per 10 miles so it would add up to a reasonable amount over 100. It won't be Fred Whitton of course but if you're expecting a massive peloton to drag you around without putting any work in yourself you will be disappointed.
  • capt_slog
    Just a heads up...

When I've done this sort of event, I've been a bit wary of taking the bike into the hotel, so i bought I bike bag for it. Taking a fully assembled bike out of the hotel doesn't worry me :)

My youngest son is joining me this year, and he doesn't own a bag, but I found one in Aldi this morning and it was £18 (reduced from £23).

• longy
    capt_slog said:

It appears to be still open for entries, so they haven't reached 10k yet.

It's now closed - ballot entries only.
  • I did all but one of the ‘original’ PRLS. The whole point was that it followed the 2012 Olympic road race route. The last year it was run, we had to approach the Mall from the side, because the arch was being converted into a hotel. That sucked a big one. This ‘new’ version is just another crappy sportive. I’m oot.