Maybe we are not doomed after all

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,217

It’ll cost more than 1% on your income tax

Many developed countries including UK have commited to paying .7% of gross national income, or something like that, to funding programmes in developing countries, promoting education and familly planning would, I guess come under that budget which we all contribute to through tax.
    Are you an old poster or did you join a bike forum to post about climate change?
    Did you join a bike forum to pick arguments with strangers?
    More of a side quest. Question remains however. Old poster?
    No all my posts are brand new.
    Good grief if this is the level of discussion pisted on these boards not much point in visiting here.
    The bike chat is better tbh
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584

Many developed countries including UK have commited to paying .7% of gross national income, or something like that, to funding programmes in developing countries, promoting education and familly planning would, I guess come under that budget which we all contribute to through tax.
    Are you an old poster or did you join a bike forum to post about climate change?
    Good grief if this is the level of discussion pisted on these boards not much point in visiting here.
    You may have a point. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,195

It was (I think), just a straight question.
    People come and go and forget usernames.
    Anyway, if you only came on here to post in this thread, then fine. The more, the merrier.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904

To summarise, you're saying we are doomed in the maybe we're not doomed after all thead..
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    edited November 2021
    'Cleaner energy'

Rolls-Royce SMR said one of its power stations would occupy about one tenth of the size of a conventional nuclear plant - the equivalent footprint of two football pitches - and power approximately one million homes.

The firm said a plant would have the capacity to generate 470MW of power, which it added would be the same produced by more than 150 onshore wind turbines.

At an expected cost of around £2bn each, SMRs would cost less than the £20bn each for the larger plant under construction at Hinkley Point and an anticipated, but not yet approved, sister plant at Sizewell in Suffolk.

If approved for use in the UK, it is understood Rolls-Royce SMR could build up to 16 reactors across the UK for electricity production.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59212983
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,207
    They could build new hydrogen production facilities next door and use the nuclear power to generate hydrogen.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2021
    On my usual hobby horse, this time the treasury and how to pay for net zero.

• pinno
    So - push the costs of net zero down the line basically.
  • 'Cleaner energy'

Rolls-Royce SMR said one of its power stations would occupy about one tenth of the size of a conventional nuclear plant - the equivalent footprint of two football pitches - and power approximately one million homes.

The firm said a plant would have the capacity to generate 470MW of power, which it added would be the same produced by more than 150 onshore wind turbines.

At an expected cost of around £2bn each, SMRs would cost less than the £20bn each for the larger plant under construction at Hinkley Point and an anticipated, but not yet approved, sister plant at Sizewell in Suffolk.

If approved for use in the UK, it is understood Rolls-Royce SMR could build up to 16 reactors across the UK for electricity production.
    In the first year of the pandemic, from April 2020 to 2021, it borrowed £299bn, the highest figure since records began in 1946.

The government is expected to borrow less in the current year, April 2021 to 2022, though the figure could still be more than £200bn.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52663523

Coming back to this. I still find it difficult to rationalise the cost of Covid in my head, being at around £500,000,000,000, or 250 mini nuclear power stations!
  • Two Hundred and Fifty!
  • I could have aircon and heating on 24/7!
  • 'Cleaner energy'

In the first year of the pandemic, from April 2020 to 2021, it borrowed £299bn, the highest figure since records began in 1946.

The government is expected to borrow less in the current year, April 2021 to 2022, though the figure could still be more than £200bn.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52663523

Coming back to this. I still find it difficult to rationalise the cost of Covid in my head, being at around £500,000,000,000, or 250 mini nuclear power stations!
    If it helps circa 60 of them are non Covid
  • rick_chasey
    General consensus seems to be COPs is distinct disappointment.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,193
    edited November 2021

Hydrogen propulsion to power future aircraft
    All three ZEROe concepts are hybrid-hydrogen aircraft. They are powered by hydrogen combustion through modified gas turbine engines. Liquid hydrogen is used as fuel for combustion with oxygen.

In addition, hydrogen fuel cells create electrical power that complements the gas turbine, resulting in a highly efficient hybrid-electric propulsion system. All of these technologies are complementary, and the benefits are additive.
    https://www.airbus.com/en/innovation/zero-emission/hydrogen/zeroe
  • pinno

General consensus seems to be COPs is distinct disappointment.

At least there is a degree of honesty about it. USA and China come together little (through the environment? Who would have thought?).
    Unlike Paris where it had all the hypocrite's clapping and cheering.
    (Although that may yet come).
  • “I have a fair amount of experience with hydrogen, our company has an incredible amount of experience with hydrogen. At least in the size of airframe that we are all talking about. We experiment at the low end, but that’s not going to be a meaningful market here,” Calhoun said in the call.

“And the advent of sustainable fuel already, already we’re capable of living with that sustainable fuel. I believe that’s going to be the 15-year answer to 2050 guidelines and approaches because we have all worked with it, experimented with it, we know it works, and now we to develop a supply line for it. But I believe it’s the only answer between now and 2050.”

Boeing's (CEO) take on hydrogen and future fuels.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuHSBSLK3_A

People could just watch youtube videos of a fire places and put lots of jumpers and things on?
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,685

Whatever happened to the Clean Air Act? It bemuses me why woodburners are such a thing in urban/built-up areas.
  • rick_chasey
    Oh people love them, including many folks on here.
  • Lol. Everyones screwed. You'll be a goey petroleum worm food by-product soon enough.
  • Maybe time to start waving the placards about at Drax power station then? I read an article somewhere that the conversion to wood pellet burning there means it no longer counts towards the greenhouse emissions statistics? Seems using a “renewable” like burnt wood is just fine.

Except perhaps when the renewable is made from clear-felled forests in Canada and shipped to the UK in diesel powered bulk carrier ships.

Same story all over Europe allegedly with coal plants converted to wood pellet burners.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • I'm about to move house and the first thing I want to install is a woodburner :'(
  • rick_chasey
    Don't do it Shirley.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,483
    There are wood burners and wood burners. The cast iron box with basic damper full of poorly seasoned logs will indeed chuck a lot of rubbish up the chimney. A more modern burner that reburns the flue gases and is fuelled with well seasoned wood is quite a different thing. Pellet fuelled boilers are another thing again.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Don't do it Shirley.

I'm too middle class not to
  • pinno
    What RJS said.

I have 2. One heats the water. They are hyper efficient but dry wood is key. You need ample (and proper) storage space.
    My monthly electricity bill has risen from £107 pcm to £123 pcm (3 bedroom detached house) and wood prices have increased by about 5%, I am so glad I don't have other forms of heating.

I painstakingly insulated this house when I gutted it. Last night we lit the log burner at 5pm and it fizzled out at about 11.30pm. How many people can say their homes need to be heated for only 6.5 hours out of 24 in winter and be more than comfortable to live in?

Many many homes need better insulation (or demolition). Addressing that problem would have a significant effect on energy use.
    I do understand the antipathy towards wood burners in urban areas.
  • pblakeney
    Apparently by 2040 HMRC will lose £35bn PA in revenue due to electric cars not paying VED and fuel taxes. Wonder what will make up the shortfall....
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    edited February 2022
    pblakeney said:

Apparently by 2040 HMRC will lose £35bn PA in revenue due to electric cars not paying VED and fuel taxes. Wonder what will make up the shortfall....

It'll soon move to energy consumption and taxes on that.

Electric cars are great for moving the pollution away from where people live to power stations which tend to be out of the way, but they're only as green from a climate change perspective as the power station charging it is.

(I know you know this, I'm just making the point)
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

It'll soon move to energy consumption and taxes on that.
    Yup.
    I am assuming "cheap" electric cars will only be cheap for a limited time.
    Veronese68 wrote: