Prescription sunnies

What's people's experience of these? I need to bite the bullet, which will mean new shades as my existing (and perfectly fine) cheap Northwaves don't take inserts.
  1. Is it better to buy a dedicated, single-lens solution or use the prescription inserts?
  2. Are posh shades (eg Oakley) really worth it for the average MAMIL type rider?
  3. Online or local optician?
I won't even get into the question of whether I need to use single-vision or bi-focal lenses (I wear bi-focals)...

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    Just to confuse you even more....When I was in your position I took the decision to go left field. I got sunnies that I wear all the time, in a shape that is suitable for cycling.
    Yes, they were more expensive than cycling specific glasses but they get much, much more use.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    pblakeney said:

Just to confuse you even more....When I was in your position I took the decision to go left field. I got sunnies that I wear all the time, in a shape that is suitable for cycling.
    Yes, they were more expensive than cycling specific glasses but they get much, much more use.

I actually have (bloomin' expensive) reactolite style regular glasses, so don't need prescription sunnies. But being able to change lenses might be handy on the bike.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,586
    secretsam said:

pblakeney said:

I actually have (bloomin' expensive) reactolite style regular glasses, so don't need prescription sunnies. But being able to change lenses might be handy on the bike.
    I doubt there is a cheap way to get multiple prescription lenses.
    That's why I went for the one expensive photo chromatic pair. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    I wear the prescription inserts from Rudy Project. Take a wee bit of getting used to but they have been spot on.

I gave the ones you can use in different frames, some are limited to just specific models so just take care with that.
  • Defblade
    Defblade Posts: 138
    Contacts and any sunnies you like ;)

Mind you, I'm very short sighted (-11 ish for specs and -9.5/-10 for contacts); for specs I get the Ziess 1.9 glass and keep the lenses as small/narrow as I can for my face... the opposite of what you need for sunglasses. Not sure if they make sunglasses in 1.9, but they'd be an inch thick at the edges anyway and £££££!

Contacts are bloomin' great :)
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    Tried contacts, didn't get on with them

• I have single lens sun glasses from Optilabs also. Used to have a pair of prescription inserts from them but much prefer the single lens.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Recently got some Nike sports glasses from Asda opticians. Went with 75 or 85% tints (can't remember, but not the darkest), varifocal lenses. Can't remember if they were 80 or 120 all in. So far so good.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I got some of the inserted ones from Aliexpress.
    2 pairs of frames, 2 prescription inserts and a handful of coloured lenses for <£50 and they're really good.

never had an issue with fogging up etc.