Crankset worn out

Hello everybody!

I have a mountain bike which is already a few years old. It has the original crankset and at the moment I can't use the intermediate sprocket of the crankset (32 teeth), because its teeth are so worn that the chain jumps violently when I pedal hard.

The crank is a FSA Power Pro crankset 175mm 22/32/42t like the one on the following page: ebay image link

I managed to take the pedal unit apart and remove the 32 tooth rack, but it has no reference. Is it possible to buy just that part, how can I search for the part number if there is none written?

Alternatively, if I should buy a complete pedal unit set, is it compatible with any new system? For example the 7/8V SHIMANO FC-M311 22/32/42 (probikeshop link)? Can I keep the original front derailleur? Do you need specific tools to replace the all thing?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards,

Gonçalo

Comments

• goncalo.lopeszx9JBcK1
    edited November 2021
    Or alternatively this 8/9V SRAM S600 3.0 22/32/42 (probikeshop link). Is SRAM compatible with my current Shimano setup?
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    If your chainring is worn out you will almost certainly need to change the cassette at the back and the chain too.
    SRAM and Shimano chainsets, chains and cassettes are interchangable. Ideally match the crankset to the number of speeds but at this level it doesn't matter much.
    Tools and interchangeability of crankset depends on your bottom bracket. I'd guess you have a square taper, in which case you need a crank extractor for that system.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    Think OP is in Europe, so I'm not sure if Spa will be so good.
    Looking at the probikekit cranks, either of those should be fine. At that price I think you're better replacing the whole crankset, because a single ring will cost almost the same. However you will need a crank extractor tool.
    Also, as I said above, your chain and rear cogs are almost certainly in need of replacement too.