8 speed Altus FD on 11spd

Hello all mtb techsperts
I am converting a 2x8 speed to 2x11 speed, unfortunately I got the wrong front mech a high mount instead of low mount, replacement mech is on way but will take some time to get here from Germany.
In the meantime if I put the old 2x8 speed Altus mech back will that work with the new 2x11 speed XT crank and slx 11 spd front shifter?
Thanks for any advice offered.

Comments

• mully79
    mully79 Posts: 904
    Ive never even seen an 11 speed front mech in real life ! The 8 speed will probably work fine with the old shifter or the new shifter. Its only 2 position after all.
    Its more challenging not fraying the cable swaping them about.
  • mully79 said:

Ive never even seen an 11 speed front mech in real life ! The 8 speed will probably work fine with the old shifter or the new shifter. Its only 2 position after all.
    Its more challenging not fraying the cable swaping them about.

This is what I should have bought, but got the high mount version instead which covers the lower bottle mount.
    https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/deorext-m8000/FD-M8025-L.html
    I'll try the 8 speed Altus tomorrow, I expect the cage will be wider than one designed for thinner 11 speed chain and maybe there will be an issue with cable pull from the indexed Slx 11spd shifter.
    The Altus shifter has to go whether it works or not, the design of the clamp is chewing gouges into the alloy seat tube.